260 egt temps..

Luketrician

yeah...i mean I think so...all of em have the wires facing towards the block...disconnected each one yesterday and reconnected them, didn't see anything that looked to be an issue..

I am trying to get up some parts...spare wire harness, time to open up the exhaust divider plate..and front half to look at the reeds..

the existing harness looked okay..didnt notice and nicked or burned wiring..no signs of grounding either..

It sure has been awhile since things were better..i cant remember how long its been doing this now...been way to long though for sure

SLOmofo

First. Basics.
Does it have spark.....fuel...and compression?
Put a set of muffs on it and run it
Take a pair of pliers and attach a grounding wire from the pliers to the block. Pull one Spark plug wire off at a time. Stick an old spark plug or nail in the boot and see how large a gap the spark will jump. They should be the same, bright blue/white and nasty. Also run it in the dark to see spark leakage.
Take a long screw driver and put the tip on each fuel injector, put it to your ear and listen for the click when it's commanded open. All should sound the same. You could use a hose also.
If you pull the kill switch and then crank the engine does the tempo sound even. A cylinder with lower compression will allow the starter to speed up as it is spinning.

Sorry if this is too basic, but I don't like to see someone "Throw parts till fixed".

Luketrician

I have had muffs on it and checked individual temps with an infared gun, checking each cyclinder, all where even, compression is good, also pulled the heads to make sure no cyl's were scuffed, damgaed etc..

I have not checked to see how strong the spark is though, I will now though.

OK, here is another clue (maybe)...my tach gauge, even when the boat is on the trailer...key off, the tach will be moving around..like it's posessed. Not sure if that could be a clue or not but that seems really odd to me

SLOmofo

"OK, here is another clue (maybe)...my tach gauge, even when the boat is on the trailer...key off, the tach will be moving around..like it's posessed. Not sure if that could be a clue or not but that seems really odd to me "

Usually a poor ground or another electrical device finding power or ground through it. Has something been added/removed recently?

Luketrician

hey wanted to give an update...

Motor is running good now..have made some good test hits and all cylinders are firing good through all RPM ranges..egts staying @ 1000 deg or greater depending on steamwheel adjustments.

last week I pulled the temp probes and the starboard probe was black with carbon and looked wet.

Port side probe was white and dry.

I cleaned the starboard probe with scotchbright and the swapped the probes around to rule out a faulty probe.

I also pulled out the main wiring harness quick connector...looked at the pins and re-connected and pushed it bck in its holder.

I also made a major adjustment to the ECU..all parameters...to the positive 20 deg.

Made some runs today and the motor is quick out of the hole..and has great acceleration.

26 hoss ran right around 91 at 7500 rpms...but did not push it today due to lake conditions...hope to spin more Rs at a later date as i remember this prop being good to 100 plus...

just wanted to say thanks to all who have helped me and i appreciate yall

Luketrician

good question Chad...I have no idea...both of em are not identical though..one is about 3 inches in length...the other (which was "blackened" with soot?) is only about 2 inches long..

chad202

Go to omega and get some good probes. I've battled with the gaffrig ones for years. They would read good for a couple mths then start dropping temp. Had me chasing chit that wasn't even there.