86 XTB prop help

smooth

I have a 86 XTB with 12" set back...200 Carb Merc....Promax mid...stock case with bobs low water pickup.

I need some serious help picking a prop..I test drove the boat on a 24 pitch 4 blade prop that belonged to a off shore boat so I have no numbers to give you.

I heard a yami drag prop would work well.

Tell me what I should buy!

mtolley

When i had an xtb, i was told to run big eared choppers, re3 mazco's, or a hoss in the 26" -28" range depending on load. post up some pics of your ride! Mike t

smooth

Will post pics tomorrow.

would a yami drag not be a good idea?

froggy

Yammi drag if you want no lift and like to run slick to water! Big ear chopper (the new ones) or an older big ear (the one with weed cutters) worked by Hoss. My XTB-21 would run 81 mph with a STOCK 1985, 2.4 liter, 200HP. That's with two fishermen and too much tackle!

Go get-um.

froggy

silverbullet02

Super Moderator
Staff member
What is your main use of the boat? I've found that a trophy is a great prop for all around usage. Drives nice and smooth and easy. Had a 26 ally cut chopper on mine when I had it and ran 84 in perfect conditions, 77-78 with 2 guys and a bunch of crap in the boat with a stock 150 Promax. My prop experience is limited, but have only really ran choppers and trophies. Where you located? Try every prop you can get your hands on. Good luck!

Brian

smooth

Located in Jacksonville Fl.

Main use for the boat is fishing...but i am a speed junkie and will be looking for every last MPH i can get!

It will be my goal to get this boat in the low 90's on this 200 motor..

I just don't know anybody with props to try.

TBuck2003

Smooth,
More than welcome to try props under our return and exchange program.If this helps any please feel free to call me to discuss your application.Thx,

TBuck

F2008

Maybe 90 is not possible with only 200 pony's butni am going to give it a shot and if i dont get there i can always cut the heads or mod it in other ways!
Good luck! .... if you can do it I'm getting me a Merc for sure.:wink

Any idea what your rig weighs? I know I'm carrying to much fishing crap to be impressive fast (quickest was 78 mph w/ the 150)

Weather's not right yet to test the 175. But before I do she's going on a serious weight reduction program.:laughing

smooth

I dont have any ideas on weight yet. I am going to weigh it soon.

from what i have read the hull weighs about 900-925 right?

I dont carry much gear in my boats..couple rods 1 box and thats about it.

F2008

I dont have any ideas on weight yet. I am going to weigh it soon.

from what i have read the hull weighs about 900-925 right?

I dont carry much gear in my boats..couple rods 1 box and thats about it.
That's what I keep saying about mine, I'll weigh it soon. I should, it would probably be an incentive to ditch some of the tackle I haven't touched since I loaded it.

Not sure on the XTB weight, XB is advertised as 850-900. Someone here will know if they happen to see this.

Light weight is a major factor in going fast, or so they tell me. One day I just may listen. :wink

silverbullet02

Super Moderator
Staff member
It will be my goal to get this boat in the low 90's on this 200 motor..
90 might be possible. On my '89 XTB, 14" setback, stock 150 Promax, almost no gas, the only weight in the boat was for balance, 40 degree air and water, 10mph tail wind, stock 200 Bobs coned case, 26 ally cut chopper, it went 84.6 at about 6800. That was about as perfect conditions as you'll ever get, but it did it.

suicidealli

i thought the xtb was a good top end boat. i had a buddy that had one with a worked bp, and he hit 105. he cranked it up though 8500 rpms.
he put a hot 260 with nos on it and went 117. he sold the motor to buy his son a racing gocart. cool dad!!!!! the last i heard he a 200 on it just fishing.
roy

Last edited:

aaronmt

Good luck! .... if you can do it I'm getting me a Merc for sure.:wink

Any idea what your rig weighs? I know I'm carrying to much fishing crap to be impressive fast (quickest was 78 mph w/ the 150)

Weather's not right yet to test the 175. But before I do she's going on a serious weight reduction program.:laughing
Better start looking for a new motor.I went 84.7 in a xtb with a 150, a 200 should easily get ya 90. Even at 84.7 I thought there may been a lil left,just wasnt the rite day to be running that hard.

F2008

Better start looking for a new motor.I went 84.7 in a xtb with a 150, a 200 should easily get ya 90. Even at 84.7 I thought there may been a lil left,just wasnt the rite day to be running that hard.
:laughing I'm looking!

I only bet on sure things so I'm not betting against it.

smooth

We will see.... I dont have a promax just the normal 2.5 so about 6400 is as hard as she can turn before losing power.....I am looking for a affordable prop right now just to run the boat and get some real world numbers before i spend the jack for a custom prop.

Anyone got a 27 or 28 chopper they want to let go for a good price?

after everything get running good I am sure I wont be able to stop myself from pulling it apart and doing some porting and cutting the heads:laughing