After 2 hours of plowing.....

Allyfishing

That old 280 is putting up great numbers for a guy with just a few hours of Allison driving experience...... You doing awesome Richard.

Roy
You're not kidding there Roy!!! He is doing incredible!! I had to have Jenn open that last video because it would not play without hesitation on mine. that hull was as still as could be!!!! No movement whatsoever!!!!

Way to go Rich!!! Must have been the driving lessons from Roy the year before!!

You think you can get jenn to drive like that??

catfish123

I'll teach her Craig...........does she have a good Lifeline jacket just in case? :LMAO:

Alli-drenaline Rush

I'll teach her Craig...........does she have a good Lifeline jacket just in case? :LMAO:
Thx guys - y'all have been great friends and teachers. You may not think you're teaching through your posts (and the rides in the Allys these last few years), but you have been! Many thx to Jenn too for letting me ride shotgun to Craig...

Mama says I need a new life jacket.... I think a Lifeline is in the cards for the near future. And a Livorsi tach.... The one Darris fitted to the boat is already obsolete... lol. It only goes up to 7,000 rip-ums!

When I got the boat up on the trailer (and as commented by Nathan elsewhere), I saw that she had put up the numbers running negative trim.... At 6,800 rpm and 1/2" below the pad, it will be interesting to see over time what more seat time, higher JP height, a 30 Pro ET, more trim and 1,000 more rpm to play with can produce safely....

Alli-drenaline Rush

You're not kidding there Roy!!! He is doing incredible!! I had to have Jenn open that last video because it would not play without hesitation on mine. that hull was as still as could be!!!! No movement whatsoever!!!!

Way to go Rich!!! Must have been the driving lessons from Roy the year before!!

You think you can get jenn to drive like that??
You can teach anybody Craig! You weren't doing shabby yourself at the Rally! Seems I recall you were putting up very respectable numbers with two big guys and one petite gal in the boat!

suicidealli

I Think you have the right prop now.. The bad thing is the 27 trophy plus is a blade slinger. I would look for an older 27 trophy, and tweak it a little. It is a great all around prop, maybe tweak to a 28. I don't think your going to be able to spin anything bigger.
I don't think your going to like an ET on your boat. You still have another 700+ rpms.
No doubt is going to be running well in the 90's. Don't under estimate the torq of a 280.....
2002 + 280 =107-110
2003 + 280 = 99-103
Bass sport pro + 280 = 9?
Average numbers...

Last edited:

Darth VMAX

Whew..... a big-block turning a bigger prop. probably But a small-block I don't think so. The B&WB artical with the Merc Racing 200xs barely squeeked 82 out of a PERFECT set-up/prop etc.

I know when they FIRST came out in '03 the 2+2 had a 175 max. Larry and Linda rigged a 175 Vmax HPDI on it andit ran between 73-75 mph.

xb03fs

A small block with svs, raised limiter and Titus lower

Allyfishing

Nathan's 200 is built and is as strong as a 200 ProMax. My 225 PM on my 2+2 hull running propshaft even with the pad and near neutral trim with a full tank of gas and ALL my fishing stuff and everything else I carry ran 87.5 multiple times.

I know I could have raised the engine more and maybe squeaked out another MPH. I would be willing to bet that a 225 PM is only good for maybe 5MPH more than a 200 so yes I believe Nathan's 200 could push a 2+2 to 82. Because I know he will not carry near as much stuff in the boat as what I do.

I was already at 76MPH with my 200 built like Nathans when I first got the boat and put my 200 on it and that was no nose cone at 2" below the pad

GotMyAlly

Still no windshields, or do you just like wearing that welding mask? LOL.

Good run, impressive that you're running that fast with only having the boat for a short time.

Darth VMAX

The B&WB test was that as well, a very light load. If I remember right they had the prop massaged and the Sportmaster basically blue-printed. They just didn't go out an run the 82, it took them a while.

Is the SVS worth any on the top-end? Seems like all who runs them experience more through the middle than anthing on top. Lee Sanderson was involved in the test and this is going off memory from his posts about it. I guess since your motor is fairly unique, nobody knows until you bolt her up and go! :)

AS far as THIS thread, I am REAL curious as to what the 280 is going to end up pushing the "slowest" Allison model made. SO far, its doing VERY well!

Last edited:

Alli-drenaline Rush

You can teach anybody Craig! You weren't doing shabby yourself at the Rally! Seems I recall you were putting up very respectable numbers with two big guys and one petite gal in the boat!
On second thought Craig I don't need to teach her - she'll only be driving 60 mph so you can hold a steady camera while we all go racing by you en-route to the next poker run stop lol !!!!!

Alli-drenaline Rush

Still no windshields, or do you just like wearing that welding mask? LOL.

Good run, impressive that you're running that fast with only having the boat for a short time.
Hey Neal... Windshields should be here within a month.... I hear the prototypes were on the boats at the Knoxville boat show. Welding helmet? =)

Thanks for the kudos on the run....

Alli-drenaline Rush

AS far as THIS thread, I am REAL curious as to what the 280 is going to end up pushing the "slowest" Allison model made. SO far, its doing VERY well!
Just don't give the keys to Roy..... My insurance agent would have a stroke!!!!

You would think that being with one company for 30 years and having $300 in claims over that entire 30 year period would buy you some credibility with the insurance company.... Especially when they have your homeowners, auto, boat, life, umbrella, flood, etc business..... I had to have a heart-to-heart with my agent and explain the short-sightedness of some bureaucrat in Bloomington turning down the app initially....

Last edited:

DOUBLE J

Rich

Looks like you got it running good. Took out the Gransport out yesterday for the first time in about a month and boy it sure did feel good. So I know how addicting it can be. Ran 8000 w/ a 28 Lightning ET. Your boat sure is "purty"...but I am a little partial to the color yellow.... lol

GotMyAlly

PS....I agree with Roy.........I don't think you'll like an ET on the 21. Might be OK with a very light load, but I think you'll hate it once you put some weight in the boat. I tried a couple of over-hubs when I got my first 21. Lot's of slip, and when they finally did come out of the hole, the boat ran very wet until you got over 70 and the natural lift of the hull started kicking in. It just wouldn't carry the boat at slower speeds. Something like a Quad IV OT would be better, still having a small tube to limit the slip on holeshot and still having some diameter, if you're looking for a go-fast prop.

Last edited:

TBuck2003

Boat looks good congrats... Keep pitch to the 27-28 range. You will not spin a 30 ET or like prop to the powerband on that motor. Prop for 7500-7800 and you will have many smiling days on the Lake !!! Lower pitch does not mean lower speeds...

Alli-drenaline Rush

Thanks Double J, GMA & TBuck.....

Hasn't been 2 days and I'm ready for another fix lol.....

Looking at a Hydro 28p as a second / go-fast / Rally prop.....

xb03fs

I may have a 27 Ot your can try at 6200 it is 82 and 86 at 6500 on my rig