Allison boat and prop blow-out?

john4utvols

I agree with Neal, and Lou. I have personally blowed out to many times to count trying to get that extra mph, but it doesn't stop me from trying. I believe people also get a prop walk and a blow out mixed up. A prop walk will usually let you correct it before you go around, most of the time a blow out is done before you have time to correct it. I always feel Safer runnin top end speeds with someone sitting behind me, I personally believe it helps.

ally2dextreme

I agree with Neal, and Lou. I have personally blowed out to many times to count trying to get that extra mph, but it doesn't stop me from trying. I believe people also get a prop walk and a blow out mixed up. A prop walk will usually let you correct it before you go around, most of the time a blow out is done before you have time to correct it. I always feel Safer runnin top end speeds with someone sitting behind me, I personally believe it helps.
It keeps the prop deeper in the water so it would help,maybe go down a 1/8th when you run solo to save your ribs lol

ssv1761982

Super Moderator
Staff member
Isn't there some relationship with prop height vs set back? If you have ony 7" setback and are even with the pad wouldn't that be as high or higher than 14" setback and 1/4" above?
(Numbers I just pulled out of the sky for an example)

XXXR2001

Stick with running the propshaft even with, or 1/4" below the pad and save yourself one possible risk factor for blowing out.

Darris will tell you his boats are not designed for running above the pad. If the guy who designed the hulls says this, I would need to be dumb and dumber to ignore his advice. I guess I was, because I tried it for myself with NG outcome.
I'm sure your advice is founded on plenty of experience and I respect your opinion. While I don't necessarily disagree with you regarding lake boats and top end running, I seriously doubt anyone could ever win a drag race at an ODBA/DSRA event running that low.

2Fast2Pass

If you run very much below the pad with a 2003 you won't have to worry about running too fast!

whipper

Isn't there some relationship with prop height vs set back? If you have ony 7" setback and are even with the pad wouldn't that be as high or higher than 14" setback and 1/4" above?
(Numbers I just pulled out of the sky for an example)
Though prop shaft hight would need to be adjusted if you moved in or out it still is relative with a measurement from the bullet to the floor and the bottom of the pad. i was at 14 setback and now at 11. I was running even at 14 and even at 11 with some motor hight adjustments. Personally it all depends on what setup your running and how your driving her as to what setback and prop shaft hight is best for you. I know what you mean in relation to the differences but its not as relevant as actually setting up based on what your looking for. To hard to compare as the differences are many.

atgill

Catfish
How does the 28 carry a your load?
I have a 28/30/32 ets but they don't like a lot of weight on my boat
I never run with trolling motor or gear, boat is used to ride only
Running 32 by myself is a handful but when my wife rides its better balanced, me 230lbs
Her 115lbs
But if a 200lbs rider rides the et won't lift like it should.
But after reading about your accident I have slowed way down
Might call Todd and see if he can make me a better wheel .
Xb2003 225x

catfish123

I have always felt that the 28 carried a "reasonable" load on my boat OK. On the morning I had the problem, I was alone and the boat was lightly loaded.

chad202

When I had lip on my 03, I always felt when I would run light, the motor needed to come down 1/4". With less weight in the boat, the lip lifts the rear higher. JMO

SLOmofo

O.K. Since I made it to my 63RD birthday today and it's later in the evening I don't think this will be my last day.

"Gary has more power than 99.9% of us on his 2003." :idiot
"Theoretical speed with his setup is was over 120 with a 30 pitch prop."
Theoretical speed, Yes.

"On the other hand his hull speed is more in the 104-105 range."
I thought it was 107.

" He knows what would happen if he stabbed the throttle at 100 MPH."
I won't make it to my 64Th.

"Not a good situation is my bet."
I agree!

" This would make a good topic also. At what speed with what setup have you been cruising and felt safe stabbing the throttle up to."
Used to be 70, now I don't know.

"Great Thread Catfish!!"
Stay in the boat next time.

"Its threads like these that help us all realize the extreme nature of our boats and the respect we all need to have when operating them toward there limits."
And then we forget and do the absolutely wrong thing at the wrong time anyway.

catfish123

Happy Birthday Gary..............:at the bar Is that medicinal pot you are on or did you just get a hold of some good chit?????????? :laughing:laughing:laughing

chad202

When running excessive height, you have to remember it works with that specific setup. Anything, I mean any anything changes, it's a different ball game and should lower the motor and start fresh. I ran my 03 and others I've worked 2" above the pad with nothing ill. I had my motor shut off at 100+ with nothing ill happening. Also balance, what balances your boat at 100 won't balance it at 107. Trim is huge. I setup my boat to run with negative trim which is why I like a good lifting prop. So many variables go into safe speed.

allison8503

When running excessive height, you have to remember it works with that specific setup. Anything, I mean any anything changes, it's a different ball game and should lower the motor and start fresh. I ran my 03 and others I've worked 2" above the pad with nothing ill. I had my motor shut off at 100+ with nothing ill happening. Also balance, what balances your boat at 100 won't balance it at 107. Trim is huge. I setup my boat to run with negative trim which is why I like a good lifting prop. So many variables go into safe speed.
We need a like button! Chad hit the nail on the head!
And with all do respect to Darris, he is so conserned about legal issues he will never tell somebody to jack it up till it blows out or slows down then come down 1/16 and try it again. The 03 model boats are a lot less forgiving than others because Darris built them to run great with 150 hp not 300. As far as blowing out there are a million reasons why.