Allison Grandsport Ski Pylon

FloridaGS

Well guys, put the seat on the pylon, sat on it, and...the pylon is now stuck...when I get back to the boat I will try the dry lube. I did not insert the pin prior to sitting on it so I think it went down too far...tried a small pipe wrench...no luck..BTW I am only 235 pounds, so it was not me I think...lol..

Jr in Jax

I drilled a hole in the rope groove that allowed me to stick a long round punch through. This allowed me to twist while I pulled. Eventually nothing worked..

FloridaGS

Yep JR, saw that in the thread, kinda disheartening for my wallet...I think I will try the ice water trick first using a strap wrench to twist and lift, then once out (dreaming here) use the dry lube and or bring the pylon to the local shop to have them turn the lower part down 50 thousands... I will update with results...
I think sitting in the seat without the pin in is what got me to this place...more to come. MIke in Gator Country GNV

FloridaGS

Well luck me.
Got a 24 in pipe wrench from Home Depot, began twisting it and got it out.
Before I started I check the pin holes in the receiver to see how far I had gone down, and it was still above the last hole.
When I got it out, I cleaned the pole with rubbing alcohol...and took a flashlight and looked down the hole and saw that there is corrosion (white, which is aluminum oxide)..can't get to it, but there is enough there that if you get into it, you can get a squeeze going...

I WILL be LEAVING the pin in the middle hole which is above the corrosion zone. Other sites suggest:
- using a hone on the hole--making it bigger or at least getting the corrosion out.
- turn the ski pole down a 20-50 thousands to make it smaller
- to heat the tube, which is aluminum, and it will expand faster than the steel pylon, then try removing while hot...cooling these two metals how they are arrange would tighten the tube around the pylon.

Jr in Jax

I tried the coarse hone with an extension several times. Then I determined that I might have flexed the thin stainless tube by pulling the parasail. I sent the tube to my friend's machine shop and had it trued in a lathe and then I had him order a Type 3 Titanium tube which he pressed into the inside of the stainless tube to strengthen it. Within a year, it was stuck again, so I lost interest in it and did all of our watersports [including the parasail] with our 3 Honda PWCs [which are great]. My new all plastic carrier is much better but required retirement to provide me the time necessary to do it.