Anyone go 03 to 02 back to 03?

JOEALLY

Mine is a 1990 model as well. Whats different other than the rear hatch and new console can't fix if you want her to look more "new"?

Heck, I get compliments all the time from people thinking my boat is only a few years old...and I don't suffer from OCD in ANY way! LOL
That's the great thing about them, the 1990 is very similar to the newer ones. That's why I said its an OCD thing in my head :furious:big grin:big grin

MWest77

My XTB is an 89 model. Fishing decks aren't huge but I sit 90% of the time while fishing so it doesn't matter. It's nice walking un-obstructed from the front to the rear of the boat. It an 80 mph barge! If I ever get another boat, right now it would be the 2+2. Don't care to go 100mph so the 2002 is out. Don't like walking around the huge console in the 03 either even though I think it's a gorgeous boat. I would definitely give it a bit longer though. The stickers haven't even set good yet!

Dave Hensley

I have had many different year model XB2002's with the oldest being 1987 and newest was a 2002. The 1987-1989 boats had the floor thing going on and they had alot more print in the gelcoat. But they were light. New carpet, new seat covers, new veneer for the dash, upgrade the switch panels, upgrade the lid latches and put domed decals on them and it is difficult to tell a 1990 from a 2008. The biggest issue I have with the older boats is undoing all the crap the previous owners have done. Some folks just drill holes and then think about what they need. I won't even get into some of the wiring wizardry I have found. I am working on a 1990 now and it will pass for a 2-3 year old boat when finished.

JOEALLY

I have had many different year model XB2002's with the oldest being 1987 and newest was a 2002. The 1987-1989 boats had the floor thing going on and they had alot more print in the gelcoat. But they were light. New carpet, new seat covers, new veneer for the dash, upgrade the switch panels, upgrade the lid latches and put domed decals on them and it is difficult to tell a 1990 from a 2008. The biggest issue I have with the older boats is undoing all the crap the previous owners have done. Some folks just drill holes and then think about what they need. I won't even get into some of the wiring wizardry I have found. I am working on a 1990 now and it will pass for a 2-3 year old boat when finished.
I agree! I have completely re-wired the 1990 that i'm redoing, stripped what little wiring that was left and started fresh.

I've added 2 brand new seat buckets and covers.

I need to update the latches. I did something a little different with my dash and bow panels. I have pieces of aluminum cut to fit and I used plasti-dip to make them matte black. (plasti-dip is very popular in automotive customization - used it on my jeep)

I'll have the trailer blasted and painted in week or two.

My only real issues that i don't know how to "fix" is the shadowing around the new stickers (side, rear and registration). My boat is silver gray with red/maroon wings top and bottom. The gel is a lighter color under the old pin stripes and stickers.

I wet sanded the gel, compounded, polished, and waxed twice. There is just no way to get the shadows out. They will eventually blend in with the sun but I'm very impatient. :embarassed Some people don't notice but I know its there.

GotMyAlly

It'd be interesting to see if the people who prefer the 02 over the 03 use the boat more for river riding and beach racing than fishing.

Darth VMAX

I don't river race or beach race. My boat is used for fishing first, family second. Thats until the heat of the summer, then the roles even out or even swap a little.

I guess its just a priority of certain things for me. I remeasured yesterday with my new rear bench seat installed and I am at almost a full two feet of rear legroom in my XB2002. Nobody is "kissing their knees" while riding in the backseat. I also find the XB2002 is easier to "get up and move around in" (for fishing) VS the XB2003. IMO, the only thing an XB2002 gives up to an XB2003 is wind protection and the little more front deck space & storage (although I got ideas and did some measuring yesterday to remidy the front deck storage issue). Mind you, I have only spent about half a day fishing from an XB2003. That was about 12 years ago too so CRS may have set in some.
I can fit 4 good sized adults or my family of 5 in my XB2002 (I have had as many as 6 in my boat) . If anymore need a ride they can get their own boat.

Last edited:

JOEALLY

Darth, you need to put up some fresh pics of your rig. I don't remember seeing any.

I don't river race or beach race. My boat is used for fishing first, family second. Thats until the heat of the summer, then the roles even out or even swap a little.

I guess its just a priority of certain things for me. I remeasured yesterday with my new rear bench seat installed and I am at almost a full two feet of rear legroom in my XB2002. Nobody is "kissing their knees" while riding in the backseat. I also find the XB2002 is easier to "get up and move around in" (for fishing) VS the XB2003. IMO, the only thing an XB2002 gives up to an XB2003 is wind protection and the little more front deck space & storage (although I got ideas and did some measuring yesterday to remidy the front deck storage issue). Mind you, I have only spent about half a day fishing from an XB2003. That was about 12 years ago too so CRS may have set in some.
I can fit 4 good sized adults or my family of 5 in my XB2002 (I have had as many as 6 in my boat) . If anymore need a ride they can get their own boat.

Darth VMAX

I plan on posting pics of my upgrades that I did over the winter. I just need some good weather to clean her up before I do.

Dave Hensley

Yes the shadows are impossible to get out and folks that put stickers all over the top cap just make itbwork when you take them off. The trailer work is the part I could do without but it makes a huge difference in appearance.

Dave Hensley

I finally got a set up that makes it easier to work on the trailers. Got a set of boat dolleys. Lift the back of the boat up with a cherry picker/hoist/whatever. Pick the front up with a cherry picker. Turn the trailer and roll it out. You can leave the boat hanging or set it on the dolleys if there is a lot of work to do. Works with motor on or off. If it is long term work I set the boat down on the dolleys and can still roll it around the shop. If the bottom needs work you can get to it easier on the dolleys.

xb03fs

Wet sanding and a lot of compounding should take out the shadow. Mine had obds racing stickers on the console and after a LOT of buffing they vanished....it was a lot like more than any othe part of the boat times 10 to get them to vanish though

SmallJaw

Joe, I am the only one on here who understands your OCD issue! It's a curse with no cure I'm afraid. You cannot do anything about it but deal with it. Well,.....you can do what I have always done to treat my OCD. Go ahead and sell the boat and buy another, and another, and another.....That's how I have ended up with 21 different bass boats, 500 guns, more fishing tackle than BPS, and I'm still treating my illness to this day!:LMAO:

JOEALLY

Joe, I am the only one on here who understands your OCD issue! It's a curse with no cure I'm afraid. You cannot do anything about it but deal with it. Well,.....you can do what I have always done to treat my OCD. Go ahead and sell the boat and buy another, and another, and another.....That's how I have ended up with 21 different bass boats, 500 guns, more fishing tackle than BPS, and I'm still treating my illness to this day!:LMAO:
It went on Craigslist this morning :LMAO::banghead

If it sells I'll be looking to buy a newer model. If it doesn't, I'll keep improving it all that I can.

Darth VMAX

Just order a BRAND NEW 2013 XB2002 FASBASS exactly the way you want it ;-). Contact XB2003225X and buy his nice 225xSS to rig on it. Problem solved LOL