Bad advise

JaySmithRacing

Bad advise!

Just tore down a 2005 280 with 80 hours showing on the DDT and to my amazment the bores were cut to pieces above the exhaust port. The top rings were stripped of all the TiN coating and the ring edge was sharp enough to shave.. I quized the owner what type/brand of oil he was using and he told me the dealer /Drag boat racer he bought the motor from NEW told him to mix 2 OZ to a gallon instead of the ROS ECU equipted factory required 4 OZ to a gallon.. VERY expensive lesson, when in dought the factory suggestions would be my choice of ratios on pre mix engines , can't go wrong that way.....

Jay @ JSRE

Last edited:

Alli-drenaline Rush

Wow expensive lesson indeed! 2 oz / gal = 64:1 :gasp

We don't even put our poor weed blowers on that oil diet!!!

K.Kiser

It has always peak my curiosity how some guys feel their small world assumptions trump what an accomplished corporation has learned through countless engineers, chemists, and unthinkable amount of hours testing... I don't always use mercury oil, but I always use the right amount...

FLYING BUTCHER

I had an Allison dealer tell me that exact same thing??? I told him "no way in the world would I do that"!!! He told me it would run "better and more power"???? have fun be safe

Last edited:

Alli-drenaline Rush

Lot of mis-informed and in some cases downright unscrupulous people out there. As always, it is incumbent on the receiver of info to do their own due diligence on info received, testing multiple opinions for consistency and deciding on the best course of action from there. Caveat emptor....

suicidealli

what kind of oil was he using jay????? also was it a blend, synthetic???? not wanting to get into the oil deabte, but curious if they used a quality oil, and formula of it.

roy

JaySmithRacing

Rather not go there Roy,

Lets just say it was /is a VERY popular 2 cycle oil ...What I was reporting on was the ratio that was told to this guy at the time he bought a brand new engine from this Mercury dealer..

Call me and I'll tell ya but not on any forum, not willing to enter into school kid arguments about oils..

Jay

rmills280

been running klotz 64:1 in my 280 and 260 for years and knock on wood have neved popped one and i live on the water with one of them screaming 2-4 days a week even through most of the winter.

fasteddie

Me to Klotz 64 to 1 for the last two years and not a problem. Changed the head gaskets last winter and all looked good.

Allyfishing

I bought some Klotz this past summer and was told to run it at 64:1 in my 225 ProMax. I have not run the Klotz yet cuz I still had a gallon of Merc Premium Plus but I intend to try it out but a bit scared to mix it 64:1. I figured 50:1 would be safer.

At any rate, you would think a dealer would know to run a new engine at double oil for breakin.

JaySmithRacing

FYI: Mercury doesn't suggest running a 280-260-Drag Hi Per motor double oil at break-in....

I've never run ( ANY MOTOR I BUILD ) at double oiled at break-in either never had an oil related problem...

Jay

hemi2005

Isn't 50:1 a standard ratio and maybe 40:1 if your going to be running a little harder?
Sorry guys, I'm running a '98 225 promax (-) the oil injection.

Last edited:

suicidealli

I will call you jay. 32 to 1 for the 260, 280, drags. I was more curious if it was a popular brand, and a blend, full synthetic, etc. I run 40 - 1. I also tear them down a little more often then most guys. Never had a oil problem. But you guys should run what merc tells you to run.

resqu-u

Isn't 50:1 a standard ratio and maybe 40:1 if your going to be running a little harder?
Sorry guys, I'm running a '98 225 promax (-) the oil injection.
Hemi I run Penzoil Premium/Plus blend or XLF at 40:1 mix with my 98 promax. Also run seafoam every other tank on the advise of a good builder. Jay Smith

Allyfishing

I should have clarified my statement jay. I don't know anything about a 280/260 so I should have been a bit more clear. My PM manual says to premix oil in the tank as well as the oiler hooked up so I would guess that is close to double oil.