Be careful of the bow eye breaking

Jr in Jax

After a trip back from Silver Glenn and then the car wash, I noticed when I got home that the bow eye steel bolts had rusted off inside the bow and the eye/winch strap was laying on the winch. I have heard of this happening before and have kept an eye on it but it happened anyway. I bought a 2500# SS eye from West Marine and then headed for the Suwannee.

RiverRat71

Thanks. I looked at mine today & it isn't showing any sign of rust on the threads inside of the hull. Did it break where you cant see the threads? My GS never sees any salt though. Does yours? RR

Jr in Jax

The steel bolts rusted thru unseen from the inside or outside. There was no signs of corrosion until the hidden part of them got thin enough to break. My boat has seen some salt but is used in 99% fresh water.

To add to my problem, when I was loading my boat on the Suwannee [Saturday afternoon], the very fast current at Branford swung the rear of the boat to a 45* angle and snapped off one of my 2" PVC guide poles that peeled off my domed Allison decal and some of my gel coat.
I am almost finished with a new system that has a vertical roller mounted on each new guide pole. I also added a new and shorter guide pole about 18" forward of the rear roller-pole to make loading in high current/wind easier. Hopefully it will work. I am waiting on the replacement domed decal from Allison and then I will repair the Gel coat.

RiverRat71

Thanks for the info. Probably will replace the eye just as preventive maintenance. I have only fought the current at the Suwannee once but I know exactly what you are talking about. Not a good time for any failure with winching/loading hardware for sure. Thanks again! RR

SLOmofo

Any pics of the
"I am almost finished with a new system that has a vertical roller mounted on each new guide pole. I also added a new and shorter guide pole about 18" forward of the rear roller-pole to make loading in high current/wind easier. "

Had one break but I was lucky, I had easier access. Champion. XB2003 bow eye has been replaced also.