Bling on your Alli??

RedAllison

That's the BADDEST lookin 03 cockpit EVER IMHO!!! :beer: :cool

That thing looks like a paintin or sumpin, MAN that's double barrel sharp! :cuss

I know ya proud, :cool
RA

baitcaster

Thanks guys, it has been enjoyable sprucing her up. I still have a few more things to do, but she is coming along. RA, I am proud of her, but your comments made my day. I seen yours listed for sale. I have passed on the info to a few people who asked me about mine - that is one of the sweetest rig I have ever seen. You have taken care of that boat, I don't know if anyone buying her would be able to truly appreciate how much TLC you have put into her. If I didn't have mine I would be on my way to Tenn.!!!!!! You could bet your right nut on that. Anyway, I can't wait to see your new 21 (my dream rig). Yes; I am envious!

Take care guys and thanks again - RA I expect to see lots of pics!!!

whipper

WOW again! Did bobs make more than one shape of cone? Mine doesnt look as sharp as yours mine seems not as narrow in the belly or as long? Oh ya and what does porting the exhaust do? James

baitcaster

Bob's does have different cones, but I am pretty sure they are primarily based on the type of lower unit you have (you can check their website). I am no mechanic, so this is my layman's understanding of the dynamics, one of the more mechanical guys on the site can probably explain this better, but here is my understanding and what I have noticed: Porting the exhaust - like shortening the pipe on a car's exhaust - reduces the distance for the air to flow and allows additional gas to escape more easily which can improve engine efficiency and power. Your exhaust tub competes with both air and water, allowing the gas to escape sooner and more easily reducing some of the competition, as well. Additionally, you will blow less carbon monoxide out of the hub, thus less around the prop blades if you don't have a through exhaust hub-ed prop, like a chopper. Though these props are designed to have a little air mixed with the water to free them up some, to much causes them not to bite as much on the hole shot. I found that by reducing the gas around the prop I have improved my hole shot w/these types of props - giving the prop a little more bite coming out of the water. The biggest thing you will notice though is the sound. My E-rude was a quite little motor, but she sounds like a big dog now. By adding the bigger holes I found that I picked up 100 rpms on my last run (yesterday) w/my 29p ET style 4 blade. I have also noticed a difference on my 3 blade 29p SRX, as well (my last Concordia trip w/arkiepowercrew). In the running vid. above I had smaller holes (4 half inch on each side - eight ports - a little smaller than OMC recomended) {it was the second lower unit}. I went back to their recommendations of 5/8th. The sound difference was amazing and horse power improved, by 100 rpms, as noted above.

Last edited:

whipper

Thanks for the info I may look into that porting a little more. I love my motor that was an old pic I just put on some new decals I got from wildman on S&F last month this how she looks today. James

baitcaster

James, that mota is sweeeet, God I love the look of your boat.

I hope that helped some. On a Merc, I believe you port it differently than on my E-rude. The ones I have seen usually have the holes just below mine on the flat part of the midsection. I seem to recall my mechanic discussing the differences with me, as well, due to the difference in the exhaust tub. On the Merc's that I have seen ported; they usually have twice as many holes, but they are only about a 1/4 of an inch in size; ie: Eight 1/4 inch holes stacked two by two on each side (for a total of 16 holes in the midsection). I don't know if that is the correct way or not - just an observation. My mechanic is Larry of Larry's Outboards here in Albany, La. He has an excellent reputation and can discuss this better than I. Here is his phone number 225-567-2845, give him a call and I am sure he can discuss the pros and cons of doing it. Larry is a good guy and has a long history of building performance engines, etc. I am sure he will discuss it with you and give you a professional opinion. It will at least give you a bases to go on and than you could discuss it with your local machanic as well, before you commit.

As I said before it helped mine and was a inexpensive modification (I helped and he did it for free). With the right info, you could easily do this yourself. On mine we had to drop the lower unit because the holes needed to be drilled in the arch. As I said before, I don't believe that is the case on a Merc. I have been very pleased with this little modification. My engine could stand to make a little more noise, but that may not be the case on yours.

whipper

thanks Baitcaster Ill give him a call and discuss this. Any free mods are good ones.:smile Kinda like an intake on the truck cheap and easy. Just like the way... Oh better not go there!:laughing James

RedAllison

Thanks for the kind words 'caster. I KNOW you're proud of your rig, that things just to awesome and I'd be DECKIN someone if they messed it up while fishin or cruisin.

RDW is gone now :sad , BUT sumpin BIIIIGGER and better is "assemblin inda wings" :cool . The new RDW2 is gonna be fairly blinged from da cradle, but once I getter and see "da red canvas", I'm gonna start blingin her up up like a pimpmobile. She already gonna be da rarest 21 to come outta Louisville so far, so I'm gonna go from there and LETTER SHINE!!! :beer:

I'll probably be callin on you and gettin some info about dis and dat once RDW2 is residin in my garage. :cool:
RA

baitcaster

Any time RA, any time. I know your are excited and have no doubt that the boat is going to be awesome. Brother you better take lots of pics and post them.

baitcaster

:laughing looks like our homme put a little flotation in that Jack Plate. Or maybe his kids ball just got stuck :LMAO:

Don't fret I had stuck styrofoam in mine.:embarassed

GFinch

Baitcaster did you remove the exhaust liner or just drill thru it. I did a gear case with an oval hole on both sides. Then pulled the can and put large holes in the front and back of the can. It was extremely loud, the people at the other end of the lake knew I was there when I took off from the 5mph zone. I had to wear ear plugs. After that I put a SuperTrap muffler on the back of the center section.

baitcaster

GFINCH, Just drilled through it. We dropped the lower unit and drilled it from the inside out in the arch of the exhaust tube. Yes it is very load, I figure I am just saying high to those at the other end of the lake - I love it, my nephew calls it "MAN" noise :laughing.

baitcaster

Here is the newest thing that I have done to mine since I had broke the plastic cups in the rear :sad working on the mota. Thus added some billet bezels:

brpdk945

Roy,
Looking awesome buddy.

You better watch your back.....I'm shifting gears on finishing mine out.....I would hate to "out-do" you and get my LED's installed before you!:help

22R

After using a faceshield prototype as a wind deflector, I made this one out of smoked color plexi-glass. Hopefully the pictures come out sized correctly as my computer skills are lacking.
Please excuse the dust on the console. I didn't realize that the camera would pick it up.
Thanks,
22R

Attachments