Boxing in Alli Jackplate

Westy

I'm thinking about boxing in my Alli Jackplate with aluminum sheet so I can put some floatation balls in there.
Has anyone done this? Any tips for a junior fabricator?

TIA

harrells

Yes i have done it. Used the anode bolt holes at the bottom of the jack plate and the lower transom bolts to attach my thin alum. plate which i formed over the edge of my work bench. Also installed 2 balls. Works Great.

SLOmofo

Before I put the trim ram inside my Rapid Jack I found and carved to fit a piece of the blue foam used for floating docks. I figured it was impervious to gas and oil. If you take your time can fill almost all the area. Then I boxed in the area between the JP and the skid planer.

JOEALLY

Yes i have done it. Used the anode bolt holes at the bottom of the jack plate and the lower transom bolts to attach my thin alum. plate which i formed over the edge of my work bench. Also installed 2 balls. Works Great.
Do you have a pic? I'm a pretty good fabricator but I need to do this to my Allison jack plate.

suicidealli

I had one that was boxed in. No noticable gains from it. I like the bottom covered if your looking for every little bit... I'm sure water splashes up and hits the inside of the jack plate. That would eliminate that. Also I would add a 45* turn down lip on the back edge. I have seen this a lot. Sure wouldn't hurt anything. My drag has a plate with a lip.JMO

Roy

suicidealli

I use a big walmart ball. They are 2.50, and take a needle. They come in all colors, mine is yellow..lol they last about 2 years, or so.. Clean real easy wd40, and a rag.
They are very light compared to other balls. When you blow it up in the jack plate it takes the shape of the jack plate. Put electrical tape over the engine bolts, or rubber boots. I chop the throttle and no water comes over the transom in my 02

Roy