busted prop

I have a 2002xb with a 200 mercury. After my last fishing trip I discovered my 26p trophy plus has a three inch crack in one of the blades.

What can or should be done with this prop?

And how do you get a crack on the trailing edge?

Thanks

R

Redding XB21

:sadI too have a 3&1/2 blade trophy 26. There are guys that swear by them and then there us 3 1/2ers. Don't know what causes them (metal fatigue by the looks of the crystalized surface) but "I've heard" that trophy props are, I wouldn't say notorious, but known to have this problem.

I've decided to replace mine with something else. I had another merc SS prop for 20 years and no problems.

It sure would be nice to find out WHY!

Gene

FLYING BUTCHER

Billy at Performance props can weld a crack no problem. He does it all the time. I have had him do several for me , never had a problem with them after the fix. My two cents

Myron

running the prop surfaced is what causes them to crack

R

Redding XB21

:embarassedProbably if I had been checking it after each time I went out it wouldn't have broken and I could have had it fixed.
Ya think I had the mtr jacked up too high? I don't think that I was above the pad. Generally, I run it about 1/2 to an inch below.

GotMyAlly

:embarassedProbably if I had been checking it after each time I went out it wouldn't have broken and I could have had it fixed.
Ya think I had the mtr jacked up too high? I don't think that I was above the pad. Generally, I run it about 1/2 to an inch below.
That is 'low' by allison standards, but those props are meant to be run 3 1/2" below the pad on a ranger/triton/etc.

jpxb2003

It doesnt matter, 1/2 below will crack em too. Never owned one myself but I hear just about EVERYONE has had one go bad. If anyone can fix it Billy can otherwise it's an expensive paperweight.

spudman14

I've had the same problem with Trophy props. I have decided that these props will not work on high performance boats like Allison, Bullet even Gambler. It seems the problem is the
torquing and un torquing caused by surface piercing. What is available in a four blade
that might last?

GotMyAlly

Personally I don't think a trophy is worth the cost to fix it. Put that money towards something designed for hi-perf applications. Plus....I don't think I'd trust a repair like that. It might hold up, but tossing a blade at 90 MPH sounds like a wild ride I'd just as soon not take.

deadeye99

I quit running a trophy after 2 of them cracked on me. Each time I felt a little vibration and shut it down. I won't run a welded prop on a high speed boat. One of the trophys was warranteed and I sold the other on ebay with a big note and picture of the crack. I was suprised to get 200.00 for it. Bob

R

Redding XB21

Maybe we should start a poll to see how many Allison owners have an "intact" trophy. That would be an unrepaired prop. If so, age, speeds running,engine height and HP.

It would be intresting to see if there are any original equipment trophys out there.
Even the comprops have a year warranty. Oops just looked on theri site*****Limited lifetime warranty***. haven't read it but I would imagine if you don't strike an object. Merc***1 yr PERIOD

Maybe Pinkie had a point! GBNF:beer:
Gene

Last edited by a moderator:

Myron

my very first 26 I ran for about 6 years or so before it lost a blade, I still have a 24, 25 ,and a 26, I run them all the time, they are the older version before the big vent holes, I really like the Throphy's for all around use, they will last a long time, if you are carefull not to run it where half the blade area is out of the water.

LAAllison

You guys scare me. I've been running a 26 Trophy for 5 years. It's my daily/ski prop and I change to a chopper when I'm light and/or crusing long range. 95 GS w/225 SM 1/4" above the pad and runs 84-86 GPS w/Trophy. Hope I'm not getting ready to have a problem.

Art

Roll Tide

Maybe we should start a poll to see how many Allison owners have an "intact" trophy. That would be an unrepaired prop. If so, age, speeds running,engine height and HP.

Well I know that 200 hp level running under 65 mph in very rough water means one cracked prop.:banghead

I was told that my Lazer II was no good and I heard that a TROPHY IS NO GOOD. TOO BAD ALLISON DOESN'T MAKE THEIR OWN PROPS. WHAT IS A GOOD ALL AROUND PROP FOR MY 2002XB.

Last edited:
R

Redding XB21

Just spoke with a Bullet owner 21' 250XS, cracked trophy. He's running a bravo now.

FLYING BUTCHER

ran mine since 2000, every blade is all nicked up, ran in rocks many many times fishin on the river mother is still one of the best all around props I have EVER owned runs 96 mph every day, had the blades touched up 3 times just to run over rocks again. Never broke a blade or had a crack just lucky maybe

whipper

I agree Flying Butcher. My 25 Trophy is beat to the point i wouldnt ever consider selling it.:laughing BUT it is one of my favorite props to run for hole shot and midrange. carries a load real good. I also would say though if i broke it I would just go buy another one because it would cost you 200 bucks to have it fixed and shipping two ways! You can find a good used on for that kinda money thats never been broke and shipped one way. Theres always good trophys for sale 300 and under. I would look for a Allison cut trophy and Darris would be your best friend.:big grin Also I try to never surface this prop either but have on occation buy accedent. It likes to be a little lower than the choppers for sure. I would guess that Im running 1 inch below with this prop and that is my sweet spot for sure it does every thing well there. Another bulitproof prop is a Performance Drag4 smooooth prop and heavy duity!

Last edited: