busted prop

R

Redding XB21

Spoke/w Bill at length yesterday and they recomend the A cut trophy by performance for $600. He admitted that they have had "broken props" as well. After Jasper they are going to be testing the Pro ET (4 blade) on the 21's. Perhaps I should wait for the results.:laughing
Unfortunatly, I don't have unlimited $$$$$$$$$$$$ to invest in props.

Wicky

I've cracked/thrown a blade on two trophys!! But then again, I have cracked/thrown blades on five other props too including a performance, a hoss, a merc, and a hill. Granted, they have all been tweaked or thinned a little.

RedAllison

SCREWWWWWWWWWWWWW the Trophys. Maybe that's why they are named that to begin with, they KNOW they are gonna crack so that's ALL they are really built for... just to hang on the wall and look at?? :cuss

The "A-cut" Trophys are EVEN WEAKER than the stock Trophys! I simply wouldn't have one run up my rear end with a freight train! If you are running them lower than 1/2" above on either the 02/03 with small block power then you MIGHT get lucky. I ran my 26" and 27" Trophys for years on my 03 without ANY problems. Decent "cheap fishin props".

BUT last Wednesday I put a A-47 26" Alli cut Trophy on my rig. (It had 40 hours on it under Dennis Kenny's 175 Opti on his XB21!) I checked both his props out prior to testing and they were clean and perfect, I also had his "fresh out of the box" stock A-48 26" Trophy. I ran faster with the stock Trophy!!! (Heavily loaded, 2 240+ #ers, raining, windy, full livewell and fuel XB21/225SportXS.) The "A-cut" Trophy literally cracked two blades in LESS than 5 miles!!! :cuss
http://forum.allisonowners.com/showthread.php?t=3917

I know guys get tired of hearing me say it, but TRY A HYDROMOTIVE, TRY A HYDROMOTIVE, TRY A HYDROMOTIVE, TRY A HYDROMOTIVE... hullo anyone home? Guys think about this, who makes THE toughest props? Someone in east TN who cuts and thins already thin/light bassboat props? Or someone who has been building props for 40+ft, MULTIPLE engined rigs putting out THOUSANDS of horsepower while not just being "surfaced"... how about THE ENTIRE RIG BEING JUMPED through ocean swells for 30-50ft at a time for 100s of miles on end at speeds ALOT faster than we're going??? You tell me who knows how to build a prop that not only HAULS AZZ but has plenty of AZZ in it and will survive???

:beer:
RA

Ally03 200xs

I've actually cracked my Hydromotive Quad IV with outboard cut and race prepped trailing edges twice on the leading edge. Both times it was fixed by Hydromotive for minimal a charge.

RedAllison

ANY prop that is thinned and prepped is GONNA be weaker than a more "stock" blade configuration. I was talking with Todd the morning after the "Trophy crackin" and he said that the stainless steel they use is a "3 fold deal". You'd think if you cut a blade in half then you cut it's strength in half. WRONG, it's actually a factor "cubed". So any cutting/thinning is actually weakened by a factor of 3!

It's pretty amazing how fast they can build "tough fishin props", :beer: Sure if you want that LAAAAAAAAAST 1-2mph you'll want the B/B work. But for durability let Todd cut it with "some meat"!!!
RA

Ally03 200xs

I sure wish I knew the outboard cut on the leading edge would weaken my prop by a factor of 3. If I were to do it again I would sacrifice the 1-2 mph for durability.

What mods have people been doing to there Quad IVs?

Nevertheless, it is my fastest prop to date.

TBuck2003

Neil,
The outboard cut still comes with a standard 1yr. warranty from purchase date.Your first one was covered under warranty.Knowing you you would never of sacrificed 1-2 mph Remember "I need 100-150 rpms to get me over 90!" You are smoking with a 200xs on a 03 great job bud!!!!

TBuck

Ally03 200xs

Todd,

Yes, I remember asking you to get me over 90 with 100 - 150 rpms and you did it :). In fact, I used your Quad IV with the outboard cut to win the Bassboat Shootout down here at the California Delta. It is great in rough water and fast from the bottom to the top!

GotMyAlly

My quad IV is my fastest prop to date too....though I got a T3X on the wall that should be faster when I take the time to get the jackplate dialed in for it. I've got I guess 3 years on my quad IV now and haven't broke it yet with 225x power (I've got the outboard cut too). Matter of fact....I like mine so much I just bought a 2nd one last week :beer:

catfish123

Neal, I know you and I have talked before about other things, hydraulic steering etc. What exactly is your Hydromotive prop? pitch? type? description? etc. Does it hit the limiter on your 225X and what is the top speed? I think you told me you have run 94 or something close to that? I am interested in one of them but I have spent way too much money on props in the past that have not run well. And finally, how much are these props?

Thanks, Bob

GotMyAlly

Mine is a 28" quad IV OT with the outboard cut.

Mine hits the limiter typically @ 91-92 with 2 people and 92-93 with one person. I have had it run 94 on those days when the stars line up just right and the prop just seems to hook up a little better. Those numbers are with my fishing gear in the boat, trolling motor on, etc. I just bought a second one from RA that is almost identical to the one I've been running three years. I am going to send it back to Todd and get it pitched up a little to hopefully pull 1-2 more mph. I'm not sure on price....I can't remember what I paid for my first one and I bought the most recent one used.

TN XB-21

On the Hydromotive web site there is a box on the left side that you can click on to take you to a site where you can get info and prices on all props. Most all brands are listed. Most are base so it will cost extra for a cut. The Hydo site explains cuts/lab finish etc.

It is a very good and informative web site.

Hydro site:
http://www.hydromotive.com/main.html

requested hydro 4 blade high performance and got:
http://www.bwbmag.com/propsearch/index.cfm?a=s&mid=22&bladenum=4&apptype=High+Performance

whipper

Is it all Trophys or are we talking about only the new ones with the vent holes? Mine doesnt have the vent holes older modle. As i said and others the older ones may stand up better Im not sure because not sure what ones people are talking about that have broke hear? Also has any one ran the Performer4 buy performance? I have a DR4 and its the best strongest prop I have. James

fishnfireman

I have an old (no holes) 25 Trophy. A pair of the newer Trophy's with the vent plugs, in a 26 and 27 pitch-- Both of these have had the Allison cut added. I bought all of the props used. I have had the 25 for about 10 years the 26 for 2 years and the 27 for only one year..So far they all have 4 blades.

But then I have 3 Mazco props that are still in one piece.. That have ALL out-lived 3 mercury motors.

There were some Trophy props that were prone to break....But aside from those.... I think it all boils down to how they are used!!!!!!!!!!!

RedAllison

"...I think it all boils down to how they are used!!!!!!!!!!!..."

In the past FFM I woulda agreed with ya, but crackin one in 3-4 miles makes me think otherwise now! :cuss

Again I think it also has to do with the boat it's used on. I wouldn't hesitate to run a cut Trophy on the 20' boats with smallblock motors. The weight loads, gearcase heights and torque load on those rigs is MUCH different than a 21 witha 3.0 on it that is running an inch over pad! Alot of Bullet and Stroker guys will tell you the same thing.

Sure it's impossible to know for sure, but that A-cut Trophy I cracked so quickly last week had 40 hours on it from Dennis' XB21 with a 175 OptiMax. Max speed on that boat is 70.5gps and I want to say the gearcase was somewhere around 1.75" below pad (but DON'T quote me on that, that number pops in my head but I don't know where from. Maybe the "settling position" we raised it to at the rally after Dennis told me how low it was initially?). That prop was NOT being stressed with that motor and being run that deep. I slapped it on and two passes later we put her on the trailer and TWO blades have 1"+ cracks in them! :confused:

You'll NEVER catch a cut one on my boat again. I dare say I wont run a stock one much over even to 1/4" above if I ever DO run another one again! :cuss
RA

catfish123

Although I'm not blaming the "cuts" for causing the breakage problem, in my opinion, the results to be obtained from the "cuts" are over-rated. I have several Allison cut props and the performance advantage on hole shot or mid range punch are not that great. If I had all the money back that I've spent on prop modifications over the years I would have a whole lot of money. The quest for the last mph isn't a cheap one. Many of the modifications produced no gains even though they were done by highly skilled, and highly recommended builders. Personally, I will never get another "cut" prop, or buy one. I will save that money for gas as with the current oil prices, it looks like I'll need it.

fishnfireman

I think deep down even mother mercury will agree they had several runs of BAD Trophy props!!!

Catfish I had not seen that much difference with the 20 ft Allison as to cut props ..
However when I sent this 26 to Darris guy to cut for my new 21 --------It was amazing the difference it made on holeshot and midrange!!!!!!!

RedAllison

Holeshot wise I couldn't tell any difference between the cut Trophy and the stock one. They both had the large PVS inserts in them and would cavitate so I had to feather them both up. Mid-range I COULD feel acceleration difference between the two props, the cut prop DID accelerate better between "barely on pad" too 70-75mph. Then again, ALL stock Trophys I've ever tested had POOR acceleration. But like I said, the cut wheel actually was slower on the big end than the stock one, that's why I don't think the A-cut is the right one for heavily loaded 21/3.0 owners.

ANYTIME you cut a prop you for sure are going to weaken it, no question about that.
RA