Carbon Fiber XR2001

pickwickangler

Whats the story on these? No doubt they should be stronger. Don't know much about carbon fiber. Are they supposed to be lighter? I heard a while back they were building one and I just read on S&F about 2 of them already built :gasp

K.Kiser

Greatly increased cost and loss of about 100 lbs !
Exactly... I've heard at under 400 lbs. they are supposed to be as strong as a standard River Racer... There are nice things to be had in this World when Ya got deep pockets... Go check out the latest pictorial offerings from "RichS" on Scream and Fly...

suicidealli

rich's is the one i'm talking about. there is some real advanced technology that went into this thing..... i'm glad it is finally comin out.

Last edited:

RedAllison

380#s, a Drag as strong as a River Racer???

I DINT SEE DAT, I DINT SEE DAT!!! :banghead :help

Here I'm tryin ta kick da habit and "do da right thang" and then they go and make chit like THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cuss

How much more we talkin, $10k more, 2x, 3x more... how much? :idiot
RA

K.Kiser

Redallison, I haven't heard anything about cost but I'll throw an estimation out there and the future will tell how far off I am... I'm gonna say that rigged minus gauges and engine will be around $45-$50,000...

h2oskiier30

$40,000 is the number being tossed around on Caldwell's. Don't know how much rigging that included, but I've heard that's just bare hull and trailer.

Last edited:

jay j

i saw and inspected matthew's at the rucker race. it's not a flimsy tater chip build. pretty
darn solid. i pushed on it here and there and it is definately not the flimsy "push in" you would get with a standard fiberglass build. oh btw that lost weight will make one leave
hard and quick. some of matthews passes were jaw dropping coming out of the hole. later jay

K.Kiser

I've heard that the only difference between Rich S's boat and Caldwells is that Caldwells uses wood in the same places that a normal Drag utilizes wood... The boat came out so sturdy that Ro and Darris felt like the wood could be replaced with foam coring board to further drop some weight, and that is the word that I heard but I have also heard a lighter # on Caldwells than Rich S's but who knows for sure except those that were actually involved... I wouldn't care If mine had wooden stringers or not, as long as the floor was synthetic material... Both are very special boats, and I expect to see more of them to be coming from the Allison/Yale team...

Mr. Scary

To me, as awesome as that sounds, is it really necessary given the minimum weights in the race classes? Yes, I understand that it gives you the ability to put your weight where you want it, but now instead of having to add 50 pounds to make minimum weight, Rich will have to add almost 200. It would make sense for somebody who is running outlaw races where you don't need to make minimum weight, but I don't see the necessity to spend all that money on something where you'll now have to add more weight.

I haven't talked to Rich to see what he's got in mind so maybe he's thinking of running unlimited and needed an uberlight boat.

h2oskiier30

It's not really in effect for Caldwell or Srnac, but lightweight is very important for lots of "sandbar" racers. I know of one very highly thought of guy in the Southeast who spanks everyone he races, because his boat leaves so hard due to being so light. He doesn't show up to races where he has to make a weight.

K.Kiser

It's not really in effect for Caldwell or Srnac, but lightweight is very important for lots of "sandbar" racers. I know of one very highly thought of guy in the Southeast who spanks everyone he races, because his boat leaves so hard due to being so light. He doesn't show up to races where he has to make a weight.
Now that's the kinda Guy I like, I am opposed to adding weight as anybody and only like a boat to be as heavy as is required to survive lake chop... That's one of the reasons that I passed on so many nice SS2000'S before mine because I didn't wan't the weight, but this new offering of Carbon boats really makes us all feel like slugs... lol...

allison8503

these things are awsome. I mean I had a friend of mine put in into terms that I never thought of before. Take a 15 48 aluminum boat and put close to 400 horse power on it and then prop it to turn 10800 in 660 feet. Even as hard as the alky motors hit I would love to see one with a real lean burn NO2 system.

RedAllison

100# weight loss on a 500# hull, with considerable gain in strength? That is 20%. To put that into perspective, if you could shed 20% in a XB2002 Bassracer it would become a <600# hull that is now strong enough to rig and fish from. Or a XB2003 could now weigh 800#s or the REAL kicker... how about a XB 21 SUB that weighs UNDER 1000#s??? :gasp :cuss

The acceleration of such lightweight bassboats WOULD have to be ALOT of fun and practical plus you'd see the savings show up in fuel effeciency as well.

$100k-$120k hull costs? Hey, crazier things have happened!!! :beer:
RA

patches

i said it over on screamandfly that i wish i could have an xr2002 built around 400-425. that would be the perfect lake boat