Casting Reels

TN XB-21

Anyone fished with the Shimano Calais 201A or 200A??

How about the "new" 2007 Johnny Morris Elite Baitcast Reel??

Any recommendations???:relax:

The Cashew Kid

I have some of the Johnny Morris sig. series reels, not the elite, and they have worked great for me for the last 3 yrs. My dad has shimano Chronarchs, the B and MG Chronarchs, and a curado and has had trouble free performance for several years with them. Just my opinion but I would rather have a Shimano if I was spending over 200 bucks on a reel. JMO though.

jimmyb

calais are still a benchmark for smoothness

the only negative about them is their weight... they are pretty heavy by todays standards.

Texan

I have some of the Johnny Morris sig. series reels, not the elite, and they have worked great for me for the last 3 yrs. My dad has shimano Chronarchs, the B and MG Chronarchs, and a curado and has had trouble free performance for several years with them. Just my opinion but I would rather have a Shimano if I was spending over 200 bucks on a reel. JMO though.
Ditto. Curado's populate my rod locker. I REALLY like them.

RedAllison

Dennis so far I'm impressed with the Johnny Morris Signature Series reel that I bought earlier this year. It's was a little more than the old Curado's I have, but it fishes/casts right along side them and is a tick or two smoother.

MY ABSOLUTE MOST FAVORITE REEL OF ALL TIME was the previous generation Curado Super Free ("olive" metallic colored with drilled gold spool). I don't know why Shimano felt it necessary to replace that reel. :confused: They were PERFECT imho. I also like my previous generation Chronarch (metallic white) but I honestly don't think they were worth the extra money over the Curado SF. The plain jane old Curado 100 and 200s were good lil reels for the money as well. For bottom bumpers I likewise got the Castaic SF and a Scorpion Metanium (Japanese market version of the Chronarch SF with a Castaic style release mechanism). The Castaic SF is just a Curado SF with a different release mechanism and Shimano still builds them. I might have to get a few more!

Dennis along those lines as well, the Pflueger Trion, Presidential and Premiere are awfully good lil reels and not quite as expensive as the Shimanos.

Dennis you DON'T have to spend megabucks to get the best. You know me and know that if they truly were worth that much more I'd have a boat full of them, but the Calais and other $300+ reels out there do NOT out perform the reels we're talking about, not for the price difference IMHO. Like Jimmy said, they are heavier and that's ALWAYS been a consideration for me. After a day of chunking and winding the extra weight DOES show up in my forearms and hands. Didn't used to, but once I turned 30 it started, now @ 36 it REALLY matters. :embarassed (I guess by the time I'm 50 I'll have to pay someone to cast for me!:cuss) Heavier reels likewise throw off the balance of todays high end, ultra light (physical weight) rods. A 10-12oz reel doesn't feel very good on a 2-4 oz rod.

Fish with ours a few times and you'll see!

pickwickangler

I am a little old school I guess, I'm still using quantum. I have a couple of presidents, diawas, bass pro, ect. Seems like when I buy something other than Q the reels dont last as long. I have not bought top of the line products other than quantum so that may have something to do with it. I do have a bass pro / rick clun crankbait reel that is awesome. I am gonna have to go on a shopping spree before we go to fork so I may give one them other brands another shot :beer:

TN XB-21

Thanks for all the information, recommendations, and offers to try the reels.:smile​

BTW the weight difference between the Calais 201A and the Johnny Morris Elite is only .2 oz. The Calais is 8.8 oz and the JM is 8.6 oz. The price however is a lot! 390 bucks to 220 for the JM!!​

I may just go with the JM to give it a try. All my other reels are Shimano and I sure like them but 160 bucks is a lot of $ difference.:relax:​

Allison21tom

I bought some of the earlier model Johnny Morris and can't get parts to repair. I tried Bass Pro Shops repair but they said no parts available. Shimano reels from now on.
Ps the JM reels were great but I have one JM reel I am using for parts.

When you are 64, all reels feel heavy. However I'm still fishing.

TN XB-21

Thanks for the input Allison21tom:beer:. I am going to go to BPS tommorrow and have a look at them both and try to make up my mind.:confused:

canadablazer

Probationary User
Has anybody noticed that after about 2 hrs of throwing a 3/4 oz.or heavier spinnerbait the Shimano Curados get difficult to press the thumb bar ? Is it a lubrication thing ? I have to do a little flip up of the bait to take the weight off the line before it will click down enough to cast. If I put the reel away for the rest of the day and use another one it works fine for a couple of hours as well until it too starts getting hard to push down the thumcasting bar ; so I know it is not just my old thumb getting tired. Any advice would be appreciated as it is getting troublesome for me.

moonliteusa

canada - the thumbar is only connected on 1 side. If you're pushing on the other side, it puts it in a bind. I had the same problem on mine. Put a drop of oil where it slides against the frame and push down closer to the supported end. I've got several Curados but I made the mistake of buying one of the new black Revos. It took me a little while to get used to, but now I have 3 Revos and seldom ever pick up the Curados. The higher speed Revo makes it seem like you're not working as hard as with the slower geared Curados.

GotMyAlly

Like RA said, the Curados are hard to beat for the money. I have a rod locker full of 'em. Mine are the previous generation green ones that RA mentioned.

If you want to get the feel of one, come by and pick up one of my curados. You can keep it for a week or two and do some practice casting in your pool. I have enough that I won't miss one for a few weeks.

Wicky

Dennis so far I'm impressed with the Johnny Morris Signature Series reel that I bought earlier this year. It's was a little more than the old Curado's I have, but it fishes/casts right along side them and is a tick or two smoother.

MY ABSOLUTE MOST FAVORITE REEL OF ALL TIME was the previous generation Curado Super Free ("olive" metallic colored with drilled gold spool). I don't know why Shimano felt it necessary to replace that reel. :confused: They were PERFECT imho. I also like my previous generation Chronarch (metallic white) but I honestly don't think they were worth the extra money over the Curado SF. The plain jane old Curado 100 and 200s were good lil reels for the money as well. For bottom bumpers I likewise got the Castaic SF and a Scorpion Metanium (Japanese market version of the Chronarch SF with a Castaic style release mechanism). The Castaic SF is just a Curado SF with a different release mechanism and Shimano still builds them. I might have to get a few more!

Dennis along those lines as well, the Pflueger Trion, Presidential and Premiere are awfully good lil reels and not quite as expensive as the Shimanos.

Dennis you DON'T have to spend megabucks to get the best. You know me and know that if they truly were worth that much more I'd have a boat full of them, but the Calais and other $300+ reels out there do NOT out perform the reels we're talking about, not for the price difference IMHO. Like Jimmy said, they are heavier and that's ALWAYS been a consideration for me. After a day of chunking and winding the extra weight DOES show up in my forearms and hands. Didn't used to, but once I turned 30 it started, now @ 36 it REALLY matters. :embarassed (I guess by the time I'm 50 I'll have to pay someone to cast for me!:cuss) Heavier reels likewise throw off the balance of todays high end, ultra light (physical weight) rods. A 10-12oz reel doesn't feel very good on a 2-4 oz rod.

Fish with ours a few times and you'll see!
I have two of the new curados and I have to agree the older version SF with the double drilled spool is sssssuper smooooth. The only drawback is the profile if you compare it to the new curados. Too bad that can't combine the two to make the perrrfect reel.