Check out the Hydrotec BasSport Pro at www.candomarine.com

chad202

I really have no opinion other than if i have 300+HP strapped to my boat, I want it to be a rocket out the hole, have killer midrange, and good topend. So far, you'll only get that from a Mercury. This is not a knock but my preference. I know Wayne personally and consider him a good friend which I've put many beers down with and will be again next month at the Fastbass rally.

Darth VMAX

Chad what about his new V76 2.6L 325hp small-block? I would think that sucker would RIP out of the hole. His other 2.6L arent too shabby ;-)

chad202

I don't have any first hand experience with that engine but it should. I was referring to the 3.1 and 3.3 liters with 370HP.

Last edited:

Crazyoz

Banned
I have drank a few with the Hydro tech boys down at the fast bass too. I am not trying to put them down but I aint trying to make the Yammy out to be the greatest motor out there niether. I have read that article many times and it is obvious that there where problems with the merc and simon wasnt there to fix it, the yammy had the hydro boys there to fix it. According to the hydro tech boys at the fast bass they have done every modifecation to the Yammy to get it to run like that. Man that is alot of money on top of what you paid for it, not to mention making a sportmaster lower unit fit cause the yammy lower units suck. Lets not forget the records are held by Mercs because they are the fastest and best engines out there. Shook set the record with a stock 300. Go to the races and just about every one runs Mercs. Go to the fising tournaments with me and nothing but Mercs. Why? They are the best out there right now and cheapest too because you dont have to build them to get them to run. I wish the Hydro tech boys all the best. What they do and have done it nothing short of amazing, and they have done and are doing alot for the industry, but dont make it out to be something it aint. I hope to get down to the fastbass this year to drank a few with them boys, it is always a pleasure to here what they are doing next. Chad, I hope to see you there but if not maybe I catch up with you at the Fastpass rallie.

froggy

I don't want to throw water on the fire...but-It's supposedly against federal law to modify any engine newer than a 1998 model. I know this MAY be overlooked but I wouldn't count on it.

I'd like to know how the HPDI mods are getting approved by the EPA?

How can a 5 year warranty cover a modified engine?

froggy

ALLISONMAN

So the comparision is between a (stock) merc and highly modified yamaha!!!! Ill stick with the merc aint never had a yamaha outrun me !!!!

yellow20xd

5 year Yamaha warranty....2 year Merc warranty. 89 proof Yamaha fuel, 91 proof Merc gas.

Having the Worthy's at Hydro Tec for support on the P3 motors is worth it's weight in gold. Very few mods to be done on the 300 XS and even fewer techs to diagnose intermittent problems with them. I sell all 3 major brands and the surging and other non terminal issues are harder to get fixed on Merc.

The Yamaha mods are basically what us old timers use to do to the 2.4's to wake them up......
So how do you get a 5 year warranty on a modied Yammi. If I come to you today and buy that Allison will you put that warranty in writing and include it being fixed at any Yammi dealer. Having to take it back to Mo to have them work on it to me is not a viable option. I have nothing against Yammi or Hydro Tech I think it is cool what they do but for the extra 10k give me the Merc the 2 years and I will buy another power head for a back up when and if it blows and still be ahead of the game

Darth VMAX

AMAN, Where did you get a "stock" merc from?

I really don't think anyone is trying to convince the world that the HT Yammies are for anything but a fast bassboat for ripping up the water. I hardly think you will see them at the drags. I agree about what the Worthy's are doing is amazing. What you have to remember is this is a small operation taking regular ol bass motors and turning them into everyday reliable ripsnorters that can hold their own and in some applications best the stuff from an entire corporate division dedicated to racing. That EPA law is a joke. How are they going to tell? Also, whats cool is they are always coming out with new bad @zz stuff for the Yammies, and for the Black crowd they are delving into the Merc stuff as well.

Blue, black or white...thats a hat tipper for sure!

Last edited:

Darth VMAX

I think there is a better chance of getting pulled over and getting a ticket for doing 56 mph in a 55 mph zone than a motor mod on a post 98 outboard LMAO! Where is that roll eyes icon? ;-)

ally2dextreme

i guess i just look at the horsepower divided by money,the yamaha aint even close...oh yea you can buy a extended warranty for that STOCK merc and still have enuff money left to buy a few kias! lol

Darth VMAX

then you would have 4 kias LMAO!!!! Don't hate the player ;-)

This isnt meant to hurt any feelings. I just look at it as purely a BAD @SS motor on a BAD @SS boat. After all we are talking ALLISONS, money usually isn't that big of a concern with a 60K boat. If it was a 370 hp Modded Merc I bet some would be singing a different tune. (except for Mr. "2.5 or go home" JohnR LOL) Not me, I want to see what this XB21 can do with that kind of power no matter what the color of motor.

Todd Morgan

I sell warranted P3 HPDI's everyday......you get a 2 page contract that says it's warranted...in writing. Come on and get you one.

I've sold and run several 300XS stockers.......never been impressed with holeshot, mid range or topend. We do get a lot of questions on how to make the 1.62 sporty's get out of the hole with a load. 1 year extended warranty is all there is from Merc on the XS'........and it's pricey.

I'm a Merc guy too......but as of now, all manufacturers offer a pretty boring Hi Po line up. The ease of warming up the hammer and the results it garners is the reason for the hubub.

I'd a whole lot rather be discussing a 350 HP Mod VP for my 2002's and 2003's.

landar

Guys,

I have bought three boats from Todd including one with a Phase 2 Yamaha. I can tell you for a fact that his word is good. If he says it has 5 years of warranty then it has five years of warranty.