Chine walk

brotherxb03

The main thing is to forget about the trim you needed to use on you stratos,you need to run with you motor almost level with a little positive trim,but not much.

whipper

Chine

Hears a good one some one told me when I was learning. It like the first time you ride a bike. Your steering is a little wabbly {chine walk} Then in a short time your flying and going over jumps with out even thinking about it. It kinda like that. But I would hold off on the jump part in your A boat. Finch brought up a very important safty idem and for that matter a very good post. ALWAYS wear your PDF AND Always hook up your kill lanyard to your vest. Make it the first thing ya do. Because like every one has been saying seattime and the first time ya get her in the 80s and its not hooked up it to late then. The slowing down is just as important as anything GFinch said. Do it very slowly at first so the bow just doesnt drop on the keel this can cause a hook or some chine walk also, youll get it. They say that one youve mastered an Allison you can hop in and high performance boat and drive it know matter what it is. That because all real high performance boats will chine walk and so on. Practice makes perfict. James

JR

Before you give up on your good boat and switch to a lesser [like switching from a beautiful wife to Hillary Clinton], Try changing the prop to a ChopperII. Without a bow lifting prop, the "v" part of the hull in front of the pad is dragging in the water and the hull will rock badly.

When I put my '24 trophy on to do Bat-turns, the hull wants to rock all over the place. It's really a strange feeling to go back to a bad setup.

I guess its sort of the same feeling when you start to slow down after a WOT run and the hull rocks when it drops off the pad.

With my ChopperII, I can drive down a 75' wide Lake Kissimmee canal at over 90 GPS or even pass through a narrow bridge. With all of the new forum topics, I am going to host one on "Boating Safety", since I am an expert.

Seat time makes a world of difference [100% agreement], but having the boat lift onto the pad helps too.
JR

SSTOM

I live in frankfort and they are 5 Allisons around close. If you would like we could help you with set up and some driving skills. My # is 502 803 5638. Tom :D

GotMyAlly

How close are you to Pickwick lake? I'd be happy to meet you on the water and give you some pointer and check your setup if you could make it down to pickwick.

halfast

some people get the feel in a few hours, others take 15-20, some never.... don't give up, and don't try too hard it will happen. I thought I had made a big mistake at first, now I don't even realize what I am doin and it is natural and easy. I let a good friend try it the other day, he was braggin and sayin how it could not be that hard, that he could drive anything (and he can) he tried to hit 70 mph twice and gave me the wheel. :oops:

ziemer

Re: Chine

whipper said:
ALWAYS wear your PDF
Not to be too much of a smartass, :D :D :D

but...

a PDF is an Adobe Acrobat reader file

and

a PFD is a "Personal Flotation Device"

:wink:

V6MERC

I had a guy tell me to focus on the horizon... Use the straight line on the top of your console as a level while driving... Get it up to about 60 or so and bump the trim up till it wants to start "slightly" walking... When you see your console edge start to fall to one side, bump the steering to correct it... Once you master that speed increase the throttle but don't touch the trim and after a while the next thing you know is your foot is flat on the floor... 8) TAKE YOUR TIME CAN NOT BE EXPRESSED ENOUGH!!! :D This might sound stupid, but it really helped me to learn mine... The slight left hand turn really works good!!! Hope this helps!!! You'll take your selling words back when you learn it... :lol: I'll gaurentee it!!! :wink: 8)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :arrow: ziemer

whipper

panda

OOOPs I guess the file on life jackets aint going to help ya much is it. Thanks for pointing that out Ziemer I even read all the post again and missed that! Dislectic I guess and cant spell :idea:

doubletrouble

getting better

Tried that new 27 trophy. didnt work worth a hoot on my set up tried plugs
different sizes didni help. Bad coming out of hole. Bog spin and all that siuff.Must be to high for the trophy . Put chopper II back on, got an 86 gps
with about a level trim 6000 rpm going to have to trim a little more to get more rpms. Going to take that trophy back tomorrow and get something
else. I Am about 1/4 to 3/8 be low the pad. May put it about 1/8 below and
try that. Doubletrouble :p

bassracer

Heh heh heh now

I thought the trophy 27p was the right prop - everyone says get a trophy 27???? What is going on here?????

doubletrouble

Prop select

Dont go by what i say. It might be perfect for your boat. But it sure not
for my set up. I talk to one dealer and he said you had to run trophy deeper than chopper. I dont think any two props are the same if they
were every body would know what to get and as you can see everbodys
always switching props and setups. If you find the magic # let me know!!
Ron :roll: :roll:

WT

SEAT TIME

SEAT TIME WILL BE THE MOST IMPORTANT ALONG WITH SET UP. SOUNDS LIKE SET UP IS GOOD. I WENT THRUOGH THE SAME THING. THOUGHT I WAS NEVER GOING TO BE ABLE TO DRIVE BY ALLY. :? THEN I LET SOMEONE DRIVE IT THAT KNEW HOW. I WATCH AND LEARNED. :lol: THEN NEXT WEEK IS WAS DRIVING IT CLOSE TO 90MPH. YOU NEED TO BE PATIENT IT WILL COME TO YA. I HAVE HAD MINE GET OUT OF CONTROL IN THE 80's AND IT IS A FORGIVING BOAT. THATS WHY PATIENTS IS IMPORTANT ALONG WITH SEATIME. INEXPERIENCE IN THE MID 90's WILL NOT BE GOOD IF YOU DONT KNOW HOW TO DRIVE IT. I STOCK TROPHY IS A GOOD LEARNING PROP. THAT PROP HANDLES GOOD. ALLISON RED WILL HELP. LISTEN TO THE EXPERIENCE BLOW OUT WILL HAPPEN IF YOU DONT KNOW THE SET UP DUE TO EXPERIENCE AND THIS WILL USUALLY HAPPEN AT VERY HIGH SPEEDS AND WILL SCARE THE FIRE OUT OF YOU MIGHT EVEN PUT YOU IN THE WATER. :shock: YOU WILL GET IT, TOOK ME ABOUT TWO TANKS OF GAS :wink: BUT I UNDERSTAND THAT I AM STILL A NOVICE AND WILL NOT BRAK ANY SPEED RECORDS. MY BOAT WILL RUN ABOUT 89MHP MED LOAD, IF I LIGHTEN IT AND RIGHT PROP ABOUT 92-94MPH AND I KNOW IT WILL TAKE ALOT OF SMALL ADJUSTMENT IN SET-UP TO GET THERE. :lol: ONCE YOU GET IT IT WILL BECOME NATURAL :lol:

BigRedAlli

Ron.
where you at in Kentucky??? There are several A-bote owners here in central Ky. if you want to come hang out sometime.
Me and the wife will be at Green River Lake camp ground (state park) Sept. 20-24....A few of the other guy's may show up too.Come on over if you get a chance.
Marty...

doubletrouble

I am in Tn. Where interstate 40 cross TN. river. Ext. 143 Cuba landing
Exit. On the edge of west and middle Tn. Got A 28 chopper work by JC
Going to try today. Got it from Larnceburg marine.He is a bullet dealer.
Told me to try the props till i find one i like .HE had a couple of Srx 27
and 29 Might try them was told they were pretty good on ally. Ron. :roll:

BigRedAlli

Sorry ...thought you was in Ky :?
Have fun prop test'in today :D I like the chopper style props on my 2003.I got a 26 ally cut that is a blast!!!
Marty

doubletrouble

All she will do

Well i got through the chine walk pretty good but i think my speed is off
a little. Tried a27 trophy srx 27, Chopper II, and 28 ET . The ET is a little
faster by about 2 miles an hr. Running 89 gps at about 67 or 68 hundred
rpms. Want do no more. Raise motor from 5/8 to 1/2 to 3/8 to About 1/4
Didnt make any differance,drilled holes to let out exaust help hole shot a
little.Got 3 batterys all seats and troll motor 25 lb bag shot thats it for
weight. Might have to raise rpm limiter to get any more.OR GET A 280!!
I Here some guys say they are running 96 mile per hr. in xb2003 with
225 promax.Must know something i dont.Tell me the secret Guys!!!
Doubletroble draging AZZ. :roll:

JR

96 [GPS?] with a stock Pmax on an '03 fishing hull is a really big number. I don't think many are able to get that normally. I think 92-93 is more normal. My GS, completely unloaded, has only seen 95 GPS when it was brand new and its lighter than the fishing hull.
JR

GotMyAlly

Fastest I've seen with my 2003/225 is 94 with a fishing load. And that is NOT carrying a whole BPS store in the front center compartment either. You aren't far off. Jump up to a little steeper prop and you'll probably get another 1-2 mph but give up a little holeshot.