Chine walk

whipper

90s

If your light loaded a 30 chopper should get ya in the low 90s if your 89 with a 28. Your altitude will be a factor also. If your 1500-2500 ft or more above see level that will loose ya some top end with a two stroke. A 30 on your rig would be for the big number fun not your every day fishing load carrying prop like the 27 or 28s. If ya try a 30 they will slip a bit more outa the hole just pinn it let it spool up and it will grab and your off! My {guess} is 91 with a chopper11. James

WT

Top speed with ET 28"

Ronnie

With your set up and all that weight a 28" stock ET you will run 88-90Mph. Lighten it up and get the prop worked for your boat 92-94MPH :wink:

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
I'm sorry, I'm in California and can't remember if the pot is illegal. :D

ARLIN

Mine is a 21 XTB with 1998 150hp Super Mag. Got by chine walk fairly quickly one day after being frustrated for the first few weeks. It just happened that I filled the front livewell nearly full one Saturday morning and started down the lake. Somehow the extra weight of the water in the front of the XTB instantly gave me the feedback I needed, the key to the chine walk puzzle. Within 30 minutes I was going past 62 chine walk speed like an old pro. Don't know if extra weight in the nose would help others or help with other Allison models? Sure helped me.

Also had good advice from Bill Curtis here in Knoxville who had a hot Bullet back then. Bill demonstrated there in the Office how to barely move or jiggle the steering wheel.

Since my chine walk days, I have talked many times to brother Glenn at Reynolds Racing about this subject. He says of course to get the setup and balance right to start, but mostly to get up to chine walk speed, then back off. Repeat this over and over and not get too wild at first--just a mph or two over chine walk speed at first. The magic past chine walk time will come believe it or not. Ha! Glenn is always trying to educate, help new hi-performance purchasers. He will ask about their experience if he doesn't already know. Safety first!

ALLISONMAN

hey arlin this is bryan welch good to see ya posting on here!!! just seen ross today as him and a night friend had a time with his expedition!!!

ARLIN

Thanks Bryan. And, thanks for helping Glenn all summer in ODBA. The old guy has worn out all the pit crew his age. Ha!

More seriously I would like to see Glenn get broad credit in the "Allison World" for all the hi-performance gear he invented or improved upon. From the nose cone to low water pickup to blowout rings, the list goes on and on. Back in about 1977. Glenn ran 78-80 mph in NOA time trials with an early Allison bassboat with an inline 6 Mercury and the large gearcase. I recall Paul Allison holding court at NOA races just a year or two earlier saying 70-72 was about it before blowout with any large Mercury stock type lower unit. Glenn worked night and day for days on end after he came up with the low water pick up idea, running the motor high with the large gearcase. Then there was another time when he just up and sent Mercury his fully developed CLC gearcase invention instead of them making a mess of trying to photograph and copy it.

For all of Glenn's inventions and modifications and world-class knowledge of the Mercury outboards, the most amazing is his driving and competive skills at age 63. And the hi-performance passion burns on, but with safety first for all as I mentioned in my earlier post. And what a credit to the traditional American way of hard work, starting your own business, honest and fair dealing.

See you next year in ODBA.

ALLISONMAN

oh yeah arlin i know exactly what you mean!!!!!! And yes you will see me around and for sure at the ODBA next year!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

catfish123

XB2003 with a 225X on it......30 pitch ET has hit a top end of 95.9 GPS. This is with trolling motor on, back seat in, no fishing load, 1 person, about a half tank of gas and it was into the limiter. 94 MPH is pretty easy with it. 28 ET runs 90.1 GPS into limiter.

doubletrouble

Past chine walk

Well i got past the walk.Have a greed for speed.Got a 280 on now.28 et runs 99.1 gps at 75 or 76 hundred rpms if Dig tach is right. Seems like it is aganst the limiter.Tried to Hook with me once kind of wild.Running about 1/4 below pad. Still playing with height.

J

John Richied

Right on Double T, 99.1 mph! I guess you did get some seat time… 7500 Rpm’s with a 28 ET is about 100 mph with several variables as far as slip.

I don’t think you are on the limiter with your 280 until 7750 Rpm’s or 8250 with an OS…

It could be all you need it to balance your rig a little better for a top speed run and 100! Is right there.

Good luck and be safe... we don’t want no hookers :mrgreen:

FLYING BUTCHER

Balance

You are going to think I am nuts BUT just give this a try?? Fill your live well 3/4 full and make sure your boat is balanced sitting stil in the water(get a cheap set of trailer levels at Wal mart) run it to 65-70 and bump the trim up a little at a time. You will feel her come up on pad DO not keep trimming her up like any other bass boat you have been in. When the noxe pops up you may need to tap the trim down just a little. At 80-85 she should feel fine as long as you keep "rocking" the steering wheel to the left as you balance her on pad. If you can find a long slight left hand run that will help. I drove regular bass boats for over 20 years and this method above allowed me to learn to drive Allisons in a prety short time. Don't give up once on pad flyin--np greater feelin. my 2 cents

WT

Top speed

Ronnie
What are you going to do when you break 100mph. Are you going to get a 300Drag and try 110mph. Be careful the faster you go the less room you have for mistakes. ;)

doubletrouble

No i want 110 out of 280.Then i might sell it and move on to airplanes so i can get more speed. I am 64 years old so i have to move fast as time is moveing very fast trying to out run it. :lol: