Cold Water RPM Change.

resqu-u

Hi Guys! I went fishing this morning for the first time since fall. I think the idle RPM on my promax seemed high. It usually idles a little below 1K in neutral and around 800 in gear. Today it was a little above 1K in neutral and pretty close to normal in gear. I don't have the start in gear mod done and it had me a little concerned. The air temp was 39 and the water was around 37 temp was low but that was expected. This was my first COLD water outing so I'm not sure if that would make a difference or not. Thanks Shane :confused

GotMyAlly

I've seen the motors pull more RPMs on the top end due to making more power in the cold weather, but haven't noticed any difference in idle RPM.

xb03fs

throttle cable could be hanging, did you try to lift the hotfoot with your toe?

resqu-u

After looking everything over this afternoon looks like my SVS slide might be slightly out of adjustment or my throttle safety spring is not quite stroking enough to snap it fully closed. Does anyone make a spring mount for the front of the idle adjustment screw?

whipper

You motor was just happy to be running again. I wouldn't read to much into it. Just time your gear change when you first start the motor and move it quickly into gear right of the bat. Not slow. I find the faster I move it into gear the easier it is. Could have also just been as mentioned the cool weather and maybe even some lean gas moving threw the system. If it runs good it is good. I wouldn't start messing with anything if it was good before you put her away. Might just need to run for a few outings to feel happy again. Mine does the same thing in cool air. Its your motor just saying lets get on this Im ready to go!!

Last edited:

resqu-u

That's kind of what I was thinking, just super cold. Where do you guys set the idle rpm at normally? It was at around 900 (neutral) in the summer/fall. Roy, I want to do the start in gear mod with a switch to go either way. I've read all the hook the yellow wires together thread but my shifter seems to have a little different wiring than is described in the post. Which ones need to be hooked together? Here's a pic of my shifter. If you don't want to post in the forum shoot me a PM and I'll send you my email address.
Shane

whipper

650-750 is the rpm the manual says but mines like yours rarely see it that low. It also depends on were you have your SVS set up. i have my acu set up fat in the midrange and wot. That seemed to bring up the idle. i played around with the air fuel mix among other things and usually around the 800 mark but will also see 1000. iN gear seems to be pretty normal at 750ish. I have mine setup to start in gear but rarely use that. Im on 8th year with untouched internals in gearcase.

silverbullet02

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mine idles around 600-625 in gear, about 800 out of gear. I had an SVS a long time ago and had troubles with it sticking. It would get gummed up after a while and wouldn't go back fully closed. I didn't notice much difference in idle rpm last couple times out, air temp around 45 and water temp around 42. It sure runs harder though when you get into it.

ROBERT CROSS

Re: Start in gear...

That's kind of what I was thinking, just super cold. Where do you guys set the idle rpm at normally? It was at around 900 (neutral) in the summer/fall. Roy, I want to do the start in gear mod with a switch to go either way. I've read all the hook the yellow wires together thread but my shifter seems to have a little different wiring than is described in the post. Which ones need to be hooked together? Here's a pic of my shifter. If you don't want to post in the forum shoot me a PM and I'll send you my email address.
Shane
I have the turnsignal trim switches on the GSE.
I used the up/down button on the shifter as the starter button.
It now will start in neutral with key or the shifter trim button in gear.

Bob

F2008

...........I've read all the hook the yellow wires together thread but my shifter seems to have a little different wiring than is described in the post. Which ones need to be hooked together? Here's a pic of my shifter............Shane
Shane, here's all you need to do. The NSS wires might be easier to reach at your key switch. The type of "by-pass switch" is up to your creativity. Some guys use a simple toggle or momentary push type. Mine is a hidden on / off type.