cold weather and gelcoat on Allison boats...

G Allen

Don't own an Allison boat yet. Am working my way through the required number of posts that new forum members do. Where I am from (Northern Utah) I live over a mile above sea level and in the winter it gets well below zero. Have not seen a single Allison hull in my state and I have been here for over 40 years. The fiberglass hull boat I have got a lot of crazing in the gelcoat from the cold weather during its first winter, in the metalflake portion on flat top surfaces, stored outside under a high quality custom cloth cover. The white gelcoat down the sides and bottom of the boat are unaffected, just the metalflake. It gets down to as low a 25 below in the winter, average low in my mountain valley is around 10-15 degrees for three months. I can put up a shelter over the boat for the cold time to keep the snow off, the boat will not be garage kept, mine is too short for a 20 or 21 footer. I have a fair amount of experience winterizing motors from working in a boat dealership a half lifetime ago. Do any owners have their boats in places where it get really cold in the off season and if so how has the gelcoat held up? I don't want to put a lot of cash (for me) into something that the cold weather will damage quickly. I might well live in a place and house situation where I'm better off getting an aluminum hull. I don't mind getting bad news to avoid a poor decision that would cause resale value to quickly plummet. Thanks in advance for your response(s).

Jr in Jax

I have three Honda PWCs and they hold water in the block and oil cooler. Since it sometimes gets below freezing here I keep a small electric heater inside them with the OEM Honda cover on them. You could probably do they same thing with your Allison as long as you don't have a power failure....

JCSmile

Other than the limited choice colors, allisons probably have the best gel on the market. Most boats sit in the mold at least a week to cure, as opposed to a couple hours for some other brands. Have seen many allisons here in the Midwest that sit in barns or under tarps at 0 degrees all winter, none with any weathering (due to cold, sun is a different story).

Wicky

Don't own an Allison boat yet. Am working my way through the required number of posts that new forum members do. Where I am from (Northern Utah) I live over a mile above sea level and in the winter it gets well below zero. Have not seen a single Allison hull in my state and I have been here for over 40 years. The fiberglass hull boat I have got a lot of crazing in the gelcoat from the cold weather during its first winter, in the metalflake portion on flat top surfaces, stored outside under a high quality custom cloth cover. The white gelcoat down the sides and bottom of the boat are unaffected, just the metalflake. It gets down to as low a 25 below in the winter, average low in my mountain valley is around 10-15 degrees for three months. I can put up a shelter over the boat for the cold time to keep the snow off, the boat will not be garage kept, mine is too short for a 20 or 21 footer. I have a fair amount of experience winterizing motors from working in a boat dealership a half lifetime ago. Do any owners have their boats in places where it get really cold in the off season and if so how has the gelcoat held up? I don't want to put a lot of cash (for me) into something that the cold weather will damage quickly. I might well live in a place and house situation where I'm better off getting an aluminum hull. I don't mind getting bad news to avoid a poor decision that would cause resale value to quickly plummet. Thanks in advance for your response(s).
No worries about the gelcoat...drain your gearcase oil just in case water has found it's way into it.

Baddog merc

mine took a bit of a beating this year due to constant sun on it ( went away for aug. came back and kids had never put the cover on it) any suggestions on how I can get the shine back on it or at the very least protect it ?
Thks
JK

Baddog merc

I am going into my first winter with mine but it will be in a drive port sides wrapped with tarps ( my wife loves the idea)

G Allen

@ROBERT CROSS

Niiiice results!

I inherited an ancient random orbital polisher for auto bodies, with a plate around 8 inches across. What kind of product(s) do you like and where can I get a new pad for mine? The old one looked like wool and had a string all around it to snug it up on the backside.

ROBERT CROSS

I get all my boat & car care products from Griots Garage. I use a Porter Cable random orbital,( re-branded by Griots). The One Step is great for smooth & shiny, The Spray Wax & Detail for after or before the fun wipe down.
A once over at the beginning of the Season with the Poly will bead all Season. They have the BEST Microfiber I've found.
You can find a lot of Griot's stuff on the Amazon. Be careful though...the wallet can get light QUICK!!

SLOmofo

I've found buying the best stuff =usually more expensive= is cheaper in the long run. The two handled type"Buffers" are just that buffers. They won't do the work like what Robert suggests and what I use. There again one can quickly do damage with one.