DI and SI

fnshrmaster

I need to get 2 new Fish-finders for the XB this winter. What are you guys running? Is the Side imaging worth the extra dough? I plan to put something fairly simple on the bow and a GPS HD/DI unit on the dash.
Next question, Lowrance or Humminbird? I have a Lowrance in my 16 Sylvan backtroller, its been a good unit, but have read some negative stuff about them.
Thanks, Kurt

hullbilly

I bought a humminbird SI/DI combo about a year ago. High dollar piece of equipment, but it absolutely has changed the way I fish. I've learned more about bass fishing in the past year than I have in a very long time (partly due to living on the water now like I've always wanted to).

Here's my advice after fishing with one for a year:

1. Get the biggest screen you can afford. I bought the 798 hd si. The neat thing about it is that it basically has all the technical functions of the bigger machines. However, the screen prevents me from seeing some of the detail I'd like to see, especially when I'm standing up casting. Trust me on this one...you will get addicted to using the thing and you'll understand why everybody has 2 big ones hanging off their rigs. I thought those guys were just posers!!! LOL

2. If you really want the full capability....it takes research and work to dial in your si and di settings as well as get the full capabilities out of your waypoint management and mapping. Don't expect to just plug it in and everything magically be perfect.

3. The only reason that I bought a humminbird, was that they were the first,,,in my understanding,,,,to come out with the si stuff. Lowrance copied it and has since come out with some really neat stuff.....I wouldn't hesitate to buy either....and I hear that Lowrance may have some small advantages....(use the forum search function,,,as there has been other discussions here on this topic).

Good Luck!

Mark

Here's a few of my OK spots!!!!!!!!!!! ha haha hah aha

3 way split screen with di, sonar, and si

2 wasy split screen with di and si

Just di

Last edited:

Alli-drenaline Rush

I bought a humminbird SI/DI combo about a year ago. High dollar piece of equipment, but it absolutely has changed the way I fish. I've learned more about bass fishing in the past year than I have in a very long time (partly due to living on the water now like I've always wanted to).

Here's my advice after fishing with one for a year:
Great post!

GotMyAlly

I've got a Humminbird 997 on my console. Big screen and both DI and SI. I've had it for a while, got it pretty soon after the SI stuff came out and it's been on 3 boats now. The first few times I fished out of my new boat before i installed it, I felt like I was fishin' naked.

I don't have any imaging up front. Honestly not sure that SI would be that beneficial on the bow but the DI would be nice.

fnshrmaster

Does the down imaging and side imaging work when installed in the boat or does the transducer need to be on the outside to work well? Hate to hang anything on the rear of the boat, front will go on the trolling motor of course.
Kurt

Ocktane

You can hang the big H-bird transducer on the jackplate, SI only works when your puttin' along anyhow.

JWolff

I've had my si since 08 and love it. I wouldn't own a boat without it. The 2 big things I like are 1. You can find spots and cast to them but not spooked the fish by driving right over them, and 2. You can pull into new bays and with a couple passes get an idea of the entire bay rather than making 50 passes. I have even found rock piles or brushpiles just idling out from the same launch I always use that I never knew were there. Si is an awesome tool.
John

GotMyAlly

Great idea, terrible execution. I love what I saw in the screenshots, but they're going to have to do better than that power-pole-look-alike for a 'ducer before I'll put one on my boat.

fnshrmaster

Well I ended up with a 587hd di for the troller and a 858hd di for the console. Should work nice, I don't think I will miss the side imaging, I'm just an amateur anyways.

Come on spring! Kurt

fnshrmaster

Since I don't have SI would you guys mount the transducer inside the boat in the tray? That was my thought, it does have the in dash depth finder transducerin the tray already,will there be room for both? Kurt

GotMyAlly

I don't think DI will work through the hull any more than SI will. I'd put it on the JP and get a second sonar-only transducer for in the hull if it were mine.

fnshrmaster

I don't think DI will work through the hull any more than SI will. I'd put it on the JP and get a second sonar-only transducer for in the hull if it were mine.
Thanks. I was hoping it would work in the boat for a cleaner looking install. Looks like I need to fab up a secure mounting spot.
Kurt

jimmyb

you can get some of the 360 like images if you put SI on your trolling motor and rotate it slowly. Once you understand what you are seeing, you can look ahead with SI on your bow!

The first revolution came for me in 2005 when i got a 987, the second revolution came for me when I put a 997 on the bow of my boat in 2008. Now i would have a hard time fishing with out either one! Once you have SI on a trolling motor you will never go back to 2D

fnshrmaster

I'm thinking a 798 will end up on my bow at some point.....
I think this 858 di will end up on the bow this next fall and I will put the 596di on my 16' tin boat. Then I will look at a 900 series and see if the SI is worth it to me.
I am sure it's a nice feature, just not sure i would use it enough to warrant the cost. I will say the detail and mapping is super nice compared to the older units.
Kurt

2HOT4U

I have a Humminbird 787 HD/DI. With that being said my son has the SI & he rarely uses it. He wishes he had just the DI, On the front I have a 585, only because it came with the boat I purchased.