DI and SI

fnshrmaster

I have a Humminbird 787 HD/DI. With that being said my son has the SI & he rarely uses it. He wishes he had just the DI, On the front I have a 585, only because it came with the boat I purchased.
Thanks for the info, I dont think I would use it enough either to pay the extra.

jimmyb

for those not thinking you will use SI on the bow: You dont realize what you are seeing on SI or you dont fish offshore :)

Also, I recommend getting a 898 at minimum for fishing on the bow. 798 is too small of a screen to see when it is mounted by your foot

RedAllison

for those not thinking you will use SI on the bow: You dont realize what you are seeing on SI or you dont fish offshore :)

Also, I recommend getting a 898 at minimum for fishing on the bow. 798 is too small of a screen to see when it is mounted by your foot
X2!!! :beer:

The 998 sized screen is the MINIMUM I'd recommend for fully utilizing the Si. There's just so much to be gained by this technology but you simply CANT do so with the smaller units.

I have a 997 on a ram on the bow (tducer on troller) and an 1197 on a ram at the console. Typically while fishing I prefer to turn the 1197 around so I can view it from the front deck and I turn it on the map feature so I can see exactly where I'm at and retrace my tracks if need be. On the 997 I'll toggle back and forth between Si and Di. (I likewise use the 997 on my 16ft aluminum basser as well.) When I first bought the Si units the Di technology wasn't released yet so I used the traditional color 2D. Now I must admit, that after getting used to Di I can't tell you the last time I actually used the color 2D. At least for me, Di negated color 2D.

I'm about to "finish the package" with the addition of a Minn Kota Terrova with the Ipilot feature. Anybody that knows me know I'm fairly "anti-technology" in most cases but some of this stuff like Si, Di and gps controlled trolling motors DOES really work and make time on the water more productive!

(And the XB21s with their built in, automotive fuse/wiring blocks being handy right under the console sure make rigging electronics EXTREMELY easy! They truly are "plug & play" after some simple wiring and locating the tducers.)

Can't imagine fishing without them now, :gone fishing
RA

ps
Can't say that I've been on a boat with 360 yet. I'm sure it's pretty neat and valuable but there's so much that can be "seen" already with a good 100-150ft (unit set on 50-75ft each side) pass with Si and then watching directly below with Di, you already know what the area around the boat looks like in 3D. One thing I DON'T care for is "cricket legs" on the back of a bassboat so I don't see me putting ANY of those types of deals back there for now. The tallest thing I want sticking up back there is a butt seat or that 3.0!!!

Last edited:

SmallJaw

Not too many months ago I put 2 new Lowrance Touch Screens on my boat. A 12" at the console and a 9" upfront at the troller. When I first installed them I only had the SI/DI capability on the rear or console unit. The LSS-2 transducer of course is on the back of the boat. It did not take long before I bought a 2nd LSS-2 transducer and a trolling motor adapter bracket and put SI/DI on the trolling motor as well. My 2 units are networked together which simplifies waypoint management a ton. Save a waypoint on 1 unit and it saves to the other as well. Same for tracks and trails. I love having DI/SI and 2D at both locations on my boat. I heard from several people before buying my 2nd transducer that putting DI/SI up front would be a waste of money and the picture would be distorted etc. etc. That has not been the case 98% of the time. It has to be pretty windy with some good sized waves to distort the picture. I just turn my trolling motor wherever I want to see SI and "Wallah!" I have it. I'll not go back to the dark ages of electronics ever again. I am already catching fish and seeing structure and fish that I would never have seen and caught. I too agree with the statement to get the biggest screen you can afford. You need to see as much as you can when you look at your units. I think the HB 360 will prove to be a good unit but I can't see having the transducer so low that it drags bottom or hangs in weeds or hits a stump. I'm assuming it has to be lower than the skeg of the outboard or else it would have a distorted image or a 340 degree picture.:smile

90 5.0

On the di vs si, I don't think i would ever get a di only unti for the console, maybe for the front, but not the console.

Di really doesn't give me any advantage over 2d, but i really know how to read 2d.

The picture on di is neater sure and it's cool, but doesn't give you anywhere near the advantage that si does.

for me it's a time management tool, i can scan water much faster and without disturbing the fish driving right over the top of them.

the 360 thing is cool, but until they get a transducer that isn't so obtrusive i don't think it will ever take off, untill then if i had si on the troller i'd just turn my t-motor.

we used to do something similar as far back as i can remeber, Dad would pull the trolling motor up and turn the puck sideways to look under docks etc with a paper graph!!!

JWW8

I have two HB 898c SI units on my XB-21 BasSport and really like them. The SI transducer is mounted on the skid planner and works well. My fishing partner who also has an XB-21 has Lowrance units so I have used both and there are pros and cons of each. Personally I believe the HBs are more user friendly. They have changed the way I fish, especially during post-spawn when fish move out to ledges. I have had success in finding fish deep on ledges with the SI. My second 898c is mounted on the bow and I have the HDSI transducer mounted on the TM. It works fine.

MWest77

Do you get a different picture on the SI with the transducer mounted to the trolling motor? With it turning near constantly, it would seem hard to decipher at best. I'm looking at a new big screen HB combo in the near future but skeptical about mounting the xducer to the troller.

JWW8

I have SI on my TM and I use it regularly. Yes, it blurs when you move the TM but I am keeping it straight most of the time. I have 898s on both the console and bow and have them networked. When I am ledge fishing, i set the view on the bow unit to a combination of map and SI so I can fish waypoints without getting right over them. I see what is on them with the SI.

MWest77

I have SI on my TM and I use it regularly. Yes, it blurs when you move the TM but I am keeping it straight most of the time. I have 898s on both the console and bow and have them networked. When I am ledge fishing, i set the view on the bow unit to a combination of map and SI so I can fish waypoints without getting right over them. I see what is on them with the SI.
Thanks! I'll be getting an 898 hopefully soon for the bow. That 360 scanning deal looks awesome but for $2,000, come on man! Ridiculous. They are certainly proud of that thing and you have to mount a giant pole on the back of the boat too. Not saying I won't never get it but chit! HB charges $150 for a color screen. Color isn't exactly a new concept.

GotMyAlly

Thanks! I'll be getting an 898 hopefully soon for the bow. That 360 scanning deal looks awesome but for $2,000, come on man! Ridiculous. They are certainly proud of that thing and you have to mount a giant pole on the back of the boat too. Not saying I won't never get it but chit! HB charges $150 for a color screen. Color isn't exactly a new concept.
I won't put that rediculous looking pole on the back of my boat either. THey're going to have to come out with a better 'ducer for that technology.