dry stacking

JaySmithRacing

The 280 owner can quickly raise and lower block temps AND tailor water pressure to exact target numbers optimising the fuel economyby simply changing out 2 orfice restricter plugs ( Takes 30 seconds and is done outside the cowling ) ... If a 280 block is ran in ambient water temps that are very cold it can remain in a choke mode getting bad fuel economy and fowling plugs. This mod eliminates this issue and AHHHHH the sweet sound....

Jay

BigKid85

Jay,
Please excuse my ignorance because I just bought my first Allison, but what exactly is dry stacking and what, if any, advantage would I get if I were to dry stack my 2.5 200 carb?

rmills280

this is a 5yr old thread and havnt seen jay on any of the boards in a while but im sure somebody else can answer your question better than me.

Dave Hensley

Dry stacking limits the amount of water that normally dumps from the block, through the adapter plate and out through the can. Its the water you see gushing out around the prop when you are on the hose. It re-routes the water out of the adapter plate through two hoses, similar to the water dumps off the t- stats, and out the back of the motor. Theory says you keep the volume of water out of the mid section and the exhaust gas has less pressure to overcome exiting the tuner. Some folks use an orifice in the dump hoses to regulate water pressure / temp. I am guessing your 200 carb does not have a one piece offshore adapter/tuner and you need to make that swap. Results are minimal for a lake motor. The modification uses two plugs in the adapter plate to block off the water outlets. Those are usually drilled to allow a small amount of water through to cool the tuner and water pump. The adapter is drilled and tapped on each side for the new dump hoses and they are routed out the back.

Last edited:

BigKid85

Thanks Dave. I'm pretty sure I won't be making the change if there won't be much in the way of results. As far as the one piece adapter goes, I don't have a clue what is going on inside that motor. All I know is the seller called it a "super stock" 200 carb. I know it has to have some work done to it because it pushes my SS into the mid 90's at 7100 rpm with a 26 chopper 2. I'm set 1/4 below the pad with a coned 200 case.

Rusrog

A super Stock legal 200 is just that. A basically stock 200. No port mods, probably ProMarine Arias pistons, no lightened parts internally but it can have good reeds and a modified intake and probably WH-20 carbs. Could be a 2.4 or a 2.5. Good motors but nothing special, just made for DSRA Super Stock racing.

BigKid85

A super Stock legal 200 is just that. A basically stock 200. No port mods, probably ProMarine Arias pistons, no lightened parts internally but it can have good reeds and a modified intake and probably WH-20 carbs. Could be a 2.4 or a 2.5. Good motors but nothing special, just made for DSRA Super Stock racing.
After looking at a ton of pictures both on here and on S&F, I am almost positive that I have a 2.5. If everything is put together correctly, do you think turning 8k through the 1/4 would be too much for it?

patches

The guys running SS turn those motors 8700-9100 in the 1/4. With your motor that low you won't see those rpm's. If I were you I'd try raising the motor in 1/4" increments and trying it. Depending on your setback, you could stand to be a little higher

Last edited:

BigKid85

Wow. I never expected they would turn that. I will definitely give it a try. Thanks Erik.

patches

What is your setback and how much do you weigh. Your screen name leads me to believe you're not a small guy

BigKid85

I have a 10" jacklplate with what I think is a slightly worked pad. I believe this is Tray Archer's SS that he ran in the lake racer class. I'm about 6'2" and weigh about 230. I have access to a 24 yammi drag that I'm going to try as soon as the river gets low enough.

patches

I'm sure Tray could tell you exactly where to put the motor. Tray ran a Drag motor and you can typically run a smaller motor a little higher but, no doubt, Tray could get you real close. Where are you located

suicidealli

I don't dry stack steel sleeve motors on a lake boat. Steel sleeve motors need heat to run properly. There cooling system not set up correctly can cause big issues.

Roy

BigKid85

Erik, I am in Jackson, Alabama. I set the boat up similar to my dad's xb02. Since I am new to high performance boats I wanted to set it up where it would forgive most of my mistakes and figured if his is easy to drive then mine will be too, which I haven't gone for a swim yet so I guess it is easy. suicidealli, I don't intend to dry stack this one mainly because I like to take longer rides sometimes and don't want to paddle back to the landing so if it ain't broke, and there is a risk of screwing something up with no real performance gain, then I'm not going to go screwing with it.