Dyno cost

Dark Allison

One of the local dealers here was charging $125.00 .I over heard their mechanic talking to someone about it.

RBT

That would be a hydraulic break, not a dyno. A real dyno, like Diamond, Power, Hledin or Bush have will be A LOT more.

bishopg

Bush's propshaft dyno for the 3.0L merc is from land and sea is a water break as well as Brendon Powers'. Not sure about Bush's midsection dyno. I have a land and sea dynomite as well and the are very nice units. The software is awesome. How does a water brake constitute a dyno or not? If you are measuring the torque and converting that to HP then I believe the definition of Dynamometer would be met. We use water brakes to test 270 MW Gas Turbines ~ 362000 HP and I sure you those are dynos.

Last edited:

suicidealli

bush, powers, diamonds, is a computerised dyno machine of the powerhead. you can search on youtube, and find videos of them... high dollar..... but real horsepower/torq

roy

Darth VMAX

Hydro-Tec has one as well. Its powerhead rated but is very accurate. Not sure of the cost. But they dyno all their motors they mod/sell.

bishopg

bush, powers, diamonds, is a computerised dyno machine of the powerhead. you can search on youtube, and find videos of them... high dollar..... but real horsepower/torqroy

The means for data aquisition has nothing to do with wether it is a dyno or not you can use a mechanical strain gauge and do the math yourself. It will be as accurate as the calibration is no matter what system you are using. The DDT STYLE handheld dyno that land and sea used to sell is just as accurate as the Dynomite software if calibrated correctly. A water break uses (most) mechanical strain gauge to measure torque then the software calculates the HP. Its neather here nor there but if the shop does not have the equipment calibrated properly then the reading will be off. I am quite sure the dyno you mention are all calibrated great but that is not because they have 15 monitor and computer systems monitoring it.

RBT

Power uses a stuska water break on a 12" midsection. It uses a depac aquisition system. The big deal is the room it is in, climate controlled, emulates air over the cowling and mid, and the real key is repeatablity. He is within a 1/4 of a %. You are into hundreds of thousands to replicate this. The top builders, Hledin, Power, Anderson all use a similar setup.

suicidealli

Power uses a stuska water break on a 12" midsection. It uses a depac aquisition system. The big deal is the room it is in, climate controlled, emulates air over the cowling and mid, and the real key is repeatablity. He is within a 1/4 of a %. You are into hundreds of thousands to replicate this. The top builders, Hledin, Power, Anderson all use a similar setup.
Hey rob I talked to anderson the other day. Amazing how much hp they can get out of the 2.5 these days. 4 years ago I would have said no way, but it is reality.

Roy

bishopg

Totally agree a room makes a big difference.

RBT

Hey rob I talked to anderson the other day. Amazing how much hp they can get out of the 2.5 these days. 4 years ago I would have said no way, but it is reality.

Roy
Hey Roy,

Between Anderson, Power and Hledin, you are right.... NOBODY is close. They are the only ones still developing 2.5's and have dynos to see that they are moving in the right direction. 400hp isn't a big deal, but unless you get one from them chances are you are still in the 360's and that is if your builder is one of the better ones.

suicidealli

Hey Roy,

Between Anderson, Power and Hledin, you are right.... NOBODY is close. They are the only ones still developing 2.5's and have dynos to see that they are moving in the right direction. 400hp isn't a big deal, but unless you get one from them chances are you are still in the 360's and that is if your builder is one of the better ones.

Yes 400 hp is there bench mark. The dyno has been the best tool for the merc drag. A lot of the mods we have done for years helps, and everything adds up, but like you said 350-360 hp you had a bad a$$ drag... Not anymore!!!!!!

Roy