Federal Law/Madatory Life jackets

Wicky

Taken from another boating website, "Just got a debriefing on what went on that the National Boating Safety Advisory Council (NBSAC) meeting over the weekend with the Coast Guard. A proposal/resolution to mandate PFD wearing for boaters (any and all ages) passed by a 15 to 5 vote. Next step is to have 12 "town hall" public meetings across the country to gather public input (this process and the evaluation may take as much as 2-3 years). Maybe more troubling was the fact that the National Park Service has bought on to this concept and Lake Mead has been identified as one of the "test" lakes for the one-year program starting January 1, 2012. Pine Flats up in the Fresno, CA area has just started its one-year test program on April 1. It's going to take a major push-back on the part of boaters to squash this thing."
This is for anyone in any boat at all times.
Don't know about you but, this makes me sick. Especially since all dem beautiful titties are going to be covered up! Just another freedom being taken away...this is getting pathetic.
The Revolution is not far,
Wicky

GotMyAlly

Effin liberals. Probably not a soul on that council that actually that I'd consider a boater. Kayaks don't count.

K.Kiser

We need to get just as busy proposing laws that better suit our lives... Friggin' liberals/ laywers just keep making more laws in effect giving themselves more business and $$... When they finally mandate how many breaths we can take in a day, the amount will be 15% less breaths than anyone can live on and we'll just have to write monthly payments to these thieves... That's all they want is effortless income via our hard work and sacrifices...

Alli-drenaline Rush

We need to get just as busy proposing laws that better suit our lives... Friggin' liberals/ laywers just keep making more laws in effect giving themselves more business and $$... When they finally mandate how many breaths we can take in a day, the amount will be 15% less breaths than anyone can live on and we'll just have to write monthly payments to these thieves... That's all they want is effortless income via our hard work and sacrifices...
HaHa - tell us how ya really feel, Kevin! BTW - I'm with ya!

Met your brother at Banana Bend - DSRA Assault on the San Jacinto - this last weekend..... helluva nice guy! Kick-azz Ally driver too!

suicidealli

This sucks!!!!!!!!!!!! I think as americans, we should have the right to wear one or not...
what really sucks is that when we make a hard run, we will be in violation wearing a srp or lifeline jacket.... WOW what a choice get a ticket for wearing a non pfd life jacket designed to safe our life!!!!! could wear a certified jacket that will keep you from getting a ticket, but when your *** is stuck in the side of a fiberglass boat with splinters through out your torso...... they can kiss my ***.. i will pay the ticket..... i agree wearing a life jacket is the safest thing to do. my kids wear one before we even hit the water, and it comes off when the boat is on the trailer... liberals!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
sorry this sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!

roy

resqu-u

I will make a few phone call's to see what I can dig up on this new law. I just did a quick web search and didn't find much so please post a link on it Wicky. I'm an active duty Coast Guard aviator and in my opinion it should be a law anytime you have the big engine fired to have a jacket on. To me it's no different than a seatbelt. I don't agree with having one on all the time though. I don't wear one while I am fishing or just floating down the river and I don't plan to start. I'll post an update on what I can find out. Resqu-u

Allyfishing

And Obama officially announced his re-election campaign!! This means that us conservatives better do our homework and talk to every voter we can and educate them so they vote conservative in 2012. He plans on raising 1 billion dollars for his campaign. That makes me sick! We can't stop spending money in Washington or balance a budget but raising money for an election in a piece of cake. 545 elected politicians telling 300 million of us what to do. Think about that!!!

GotMyAlly

I will make a few phone call's to see what I can dig up on this new law. I just did a quick web search and didn't find much so please post a link on it Wicky. I'm an active duty Coast Guard aviator and in my opinion it should be a law anytime you have the big engine fired to have a jacket on. To me it's no different than a seatbelt. I don't agree with having one on all the time though. I don't wear one while I am fishing or just floating down the river and I don't plan to start. I'll post an update on what I can find out. Resqu-u
While I do agree both seatbelts and lifejackets save lives, it's not the governments role to decide what is best for us. I wear my seatbelt when I'm driving and my lifejacket when I'm running, not because the gov't says so but because it's the smart thing to do. The last thing we need is more laws. You can't govern stupidity. I'm sick and tired of the ignorance of a few spurring more regulations over the rest of us. If somebody wants to run without a life jacket, that's their own personal decision and they'll have to suffer the consequences if disaster strikes. Nowhere in the constitution does it say the government was founded to regulate idiots. Let common sense prevail. And those that lack it, be removed from the gene pool.

zatchmo

While I do agree both seatbelts and lifejackets save lives, it's not the governments role to decide what is best for us. I wear my seatbelt when I'm driving and my lifejacket when I'm running, not because the gov't says so but because it's the smart thing to do. The last thing we need is more laws. You can't govern stupidity. I'm sick and tired of the ignorance of a few spurring more regulations over the rest of us. If somebody wants to run without a life jacket, that's their own personal decision and they'll have to suffer the consequences if disaster strikes. Nowhere in the constitution does it say the government was founded to regulate idiots. Let common sense prevail. And those that lack it, be removed from the gene pool.
I'm not going to argue with you, I agree 100% on the lifejacket issue. Seatbelts I actually have a differing opinion on. If you choose not to wear your seatbelt, pull out in front of me and I hit you and kill you, that is going to screw me up for a long time because you chose not to wear your belt. I actually agree with seatbelt laws, but don't think our law enforcement officers need to waste time running around writing tickets for it necessarily. I just like knowing that particular law is on the books. It's a very tough job, and I'm glad I don't have to do it.

Wicky

I did a search and found this on another website...
"The rules are:
1. Everyone swimming more than 100ft from shore
2. Everyone aboard all non-motorized vessels regardless of length at all times
3. Everyone aboard vessels up to 16ft at all times
4. Everyone aboard motorized vessels 16ft and larger when the vessel is underway. Passengers inside a fully enclosed cabin are not required to wear a life jacket. Life jackets are required for pilots or passengers in any exposed area of the vessel while the vessel is underway. Life jackets are not required when the vessel is stationary.

So if you are driving a houseboat from the fly bridge on the top deck, at 5mph you and all of your passengers will need to be wearing a vest! WTF? This is just another version of the motorcycle helmet law, what happened to our freedom of choice?

It is beyond me how the Government tries to make laws to fix stupid. Before you know it they will require roll bars in all cars, we will have to all wear nomex suits, have stock tires and rims only, no music or phone calls of any kind. Boats sure why stop there no skiing,wakeboarding,5 miles an hour max speed on the entire lake, no night boating, no music, 2 observers in the boat while anyone is in the water, Captain of every boat should be an EMT. All of these would definitely save lives but at the cost of our freedom of choice.

Right now the USACE is doing a study

Wicky

I know most deaths that occur in the water are the result of hypothermia and drowning is a result. AFter we are all forced to wear life jackets, we will all be forced to wear wet suits too!! Obama will then just ban boating alltogether!! Like a coast guard friend of mine said, "Life jackets make recovering the body a whole lot easier!"

Last edited:

GotMyAlly

1. Everyone swimming more than 100ft from shore
2. Everyone aboard all non-motorized vessels regardless of length at all times
3. Everyone aboard vessels up to 16ft at all times
4. Everyone aboard motorized vessels 16ft and larger when the vessel is underway. Passengers inside a fully enclosed cabin are not required to wear a life jacket. Life jackets are required for pilots or passengers in any exposed area of the vessel while the vessel is underway. Life jackets are not required when the vessel is stationary.
Those exact laws have already been enacted on three corps of engineers reservoirs in north Mississippi for a 'trial period' but you know how that goes.....once in place, they'll never revoke it regardless of what the study shows.

Wicky

Those exact laws have already been enacted on three corps of engineers reservoirs in north Mississippi for a 'trial period' but you know how that goes.....once in place, they'll never revoke it regardless of what the study shows.
So, not only is it illegal to boat without a life jacket but also, it is illegal to swim in a lake if your over 100 ft from shore...this is absolutely pathetic and makes me want to vomit.

GotMyAlly

What's really ridiculous is when I take the little 15'x60" Xpress to fish the backwaters. I may be in 12"-18" of water all day long stirring up mud with the trolling motor, yet because uncle sam thinks he knows best i gotta wear a jacket.

Get out to pull the aluminum rig in 4" of water when it gets too shallow to run and you still gotta wear the jacket while you sweat your butt off pushing/pulling over the flats......

Wicky

What's really ridiculous is when I take the little 15'x60" Xpress to fish the backwaters. I may be in 12"-18" of water all day long stirring up mud with the trolling motor, yet because uncle sam thinks he knows best i gotta wear a jacket.

Get out to pull the aluminum rig in 4" of water when it gets too shallow to run and you still gotta wear the jacket while you sweat your butt off pushing/pulling over the flats......
Ok, now there is vomit in the back of my throat...

Alli-drenaline Rush

It is beyond me how the Government tries to make laws to fix stupid. Before you know it they will require roll bars in all cars, we will have to all wear nomex suits, have stock tires and rims only, no music or phone calls of any kind. Boats sure why stop there no skiing,wakeboarding,5 miles an hour max speed on the entire lake, no night boating, no music, 2 observers in the boat while anyone is in the water, Captain of every boat should be an EMT. All of these would definitely save lives but at the cost of our freedom of choice.

This is not a law yet, but it is gaining support from the non boating world. I have called the phone number posted and left my .02 and everyone else needs to do the same.

If it was about saving lives and not about the MONEY, Lifeline jackets and Security jackets would qualify as USCG approved jackets....Pure and simple.
This is complete BULLSHIT once again brought forth by idiots who want to tell us how to wipe our asses. I can smell the revolution and it is not too far off in our distance.

We need to take back our country.
Vote Libertarian!!!

This country is truly at a tipping point. Nowhere in the Constitution are powers like these bestowed upon the Federal Government. It is especially critical that the people understand that Federal bureaucracies, unbeholden to the people through Congress, are dictating policy. This problem is not new.... Rather, this issue is only one of a host of issues taken on by the Federal Government since the early 1900s that are the business of the individual States, not the Federal Government. The real question is how long the sheeple will allow the Federal apparatus to usurp power from the States. It feels like ~1850 - 1861 all over again....

"We must not let our rulers load us with perpetual debt. We must make our election between economy and liberty or profusion and servitude ... and the fore-horse of this frightful team is public debt. Taxation follows that, and in its train wretchedness and oppression." -Thomas Jefferson

"If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."
Samuel Adams

Alli-drenaline Rush

I was reading an article the other day titled "Taming Leviathan" in The Economist magazine..... Federal spending as a percentage of GDP was 7.3% in 1870, 19.7% at the height of the Depression in 1937, and 42.2% in 2009. We are passively letting the Federal Government turn us and our children into economic slaves....... BTW - it is not much different in the rest of the developed world......

RedAllison

GUYS GUYS GUYS, wtf??? Why are you worried about 1 possum cop per 50 miles of water? Remember he's in a 45mph boat and we are in a 80-90+ mph boat. Sure radar is faster, but that ONLY works when he has other officers nearby. The possum cops and water patrol #s are miniscule compared to their counterparts on land.

SCREW EM, I'll wear or not wear my jacket when I want to... NOT when Obongo or anyother Washington asshat decides I should!!!

:beer:
RA

(And 45mins ago I just came from BPS where I bought 2 new mesh life jackets to wear in hot weather. Again I'll wear them WHERE and WHEN I choose, NOT Obamalama and his baby mamma inda White Hizzy)

GotMyAlly

I'm pretty sure at Sardis only the corps of engineers can write you a ticket for lifejacket violations. I don't think the possum cops can.