Fishing XB03 vs XB02 and other pro/ cons of each

1badss

Banned
I've had nine different 02s and one-03 . I also drove two other 03s . I did more bat turns with the 03s than I ever did with all my 02s combined . I hate 03s but absolutely love the 02 from the comp to the t model . Easier to learn and drive, plus faster and better fuel mileage . If you are like me and only fish now and then , the 02 is the way to go . Opinions differ ...

chad202

It was a 20" but had Michael chapman it down to 15". I drove several 02 with 8-12" plates before getting my 02 and that what enticed me to try the 14". That along with my motor man who's very good at setups. I have a steam wheel so I tweak my fuel but with this set up and a 25 trophy running 4500-5000 I get 5+mpg. Tons of lift at slow speeds and handles great. To each his own though.

resqu-u

Chad can you post up a pic of your motor. I'm thinking hard about having Chapman cut my bass mid this winter. Back on the OP I've had two 03's and have driven a few 2002's. The sexiness of the 02 is very tempting but the layout of the 03 just keeps me locked in. I agree that the 02 is a easier boat overall but when a 2003 is setup and balanced right it's a creampuff to 100. After that the 02 wins hands down. My only complaint about either model is that engines will be very hard to find in the coming years.

chad202

Shoot me a text and I'll text you a couple. Don't have any real close close up and boat is a dads but I'll send you what I have and try to get more today. 225-206-1520

chad202

What part of the layout you prefer and why. I may change ur mind. I felt like you for many years. Lol

XB03AllyProud

Thanks Chad, You did some lip work as well didn't you? Thought I remembered that from sometime back, couldn't remember though if on your 02 or 03. Whose 14" plate were you running? Did you have any flotation in it? This is going to be a winter project and taking everyone's input/advice to get to a starting point for mine. I was at 10" in my thought's but then went to 12" so now need to see how many others went to 14" and their feelings on results. Thanks again. Roy

chad202

I run the same 14" rapid jack I had on my 03. I took the lip down on my 02 to .025.

XB03AllyProud

This may not be a issue but looking at the Rapid Jacks awhile back, with 1/4" adjustments what is the provision for initial setup at even with the pad? It's all defined holes no slots correct, for the transom bolts and motor bolts? So does cable wrap setup or something get set in the beginning setup for a even with pad starting point? Haven't seen one in person so it was a question that came to mind. Is it a hindrance being limited to 1/4" adjustments as opposed to other slotted plates you can move in any increments? Who else runs Rapid Jacks? Guess I should start a separate thread for the 02 setup project. Thanks guys.

BP1

Each click of a rapid jack is a 1/4 inch, but you can stop anywhere in between and just tighten up the side plate bolts at the desired height.

XB03AllyProud

Hell, I should of thought of that. lol.
I thought maybe there was a way to adjust cable wrap when one first sets it up at even with pad then go from there 1/4" at a time. Tightening down anywhere would be no different from any other plate though. Sometimes get a thought and then tunnel vision sets in. Have a funny Sunday everyone.

chad202

I don't do that. Not saying it's right or wrong. I let it click, grab the motor and shake it up/down, then tighten to
Make sure both sides have settled.

ally2dextreme

14 is getting a bit much for me especially with a 20,the 15 needs a little more help.that's why I went with 12,which became 11 since I had to tip the top in because of the drag ram

chad202

I knew most people ran less. I guess part reason why I did it also. Just to be different and see how it ran. Sanded lip to .025, set height at 1 1/4" above, threw prop on that ran good on my 03 and it ran 110. Figured that was good and lowered it down a couple clicks, put my fishing prop on, and it's been that way since.

ally2dextreme

Its whatever works for you I guess,I think since you modified your lip people need to take note of that.I went from hydraulic plate to my manual and went 113 first time with my 26 Yamaha and hadn't really made a top end run,shook runs in the 20s wonder what his setback is....

Lotus 50

Sometimes I think a 4 seat 2002 would be perfect. With a ski pylon. It would be great for going through locks, I could walk around the deck tending ropes.