flesh wound????

hirk

Much appreciated nort!!! Not sure if I will fix it, I have another engine so no rush to do anything with it. It locked up and i have not indexed it to see what the cylinder locks like yet.

hirk

Can anyone guess at a cause based on the pic?

hirk

I dont know, the timing was set in july at 23* fixed using a jsre gauge and Iv'e put 10+ hours on it since. Heads are 34cc, I always ran 91 ethanol free mixed at 40-1

hirk

No over heat and gasket was good. Anyone think it would last 10hrs with lots of wot if the timing was off? It was indexed off #1 @23* with advance mod removed, could it have been off enough to cause this? Does the wash on the others look ok?

craft1698

Probationary User
Too much compression and too little octane.
Common for 2.5's to burn #4 look at the bias circuit in the switch boxes. Happens to duel switch box engines even the old in lines with switch boxes burnt # 4 . Bias circuit causes timing to go crazy when it fails.

hirk

Thx guys for all your imput. I still cant say for certain but its either water past the gasket or the timing was wacked on that cylinder. I was going to fix it after thinking it over but found a small hole on the front half too so I dunno.

hirk

Problem is I have the original 150 supermag power head that belongs with the mid/cowl and just bought a complete 200 before it grenaded. I was ready to fix it before seeing the hole but will have to see about getting it welded.

Last edited:

Jr in Jax

Looks like what I warned about in my head gasket replacement thread. Mark pulled his head gaskets after my problem and his were already leaking and would have wiped out a piston the next time out. I just put 150+ high speed miles on mine at the Suwannee and it now runs as good as ever. The head gaskets are not if, but when....

hirk

Very good chance that was it JR, it only had about 60 hrs on it if they were as stated when I bought it. A guy is going to look it over to determine the cause. I will post a pic later procomp when I get a chance.

hirk

The hole is in the center of the pic just left of the throtle arm.

Attachments

Lotus 50

I assumed that 's what you were referring to by "flesh wound" I hadn't looked at that clip for years, thanks.