Future Allison boats

A

allyfreek

I am in between boats right now and I had heard Darris is doing away with the XB 2002 bass boat so I am hoping there will be a 21' or 22' version of it with the center seat and small console. I am just wondering what Darris has on the drawing board for production next. Anyone heard any rumors?

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
No more 2002? Ah NO!!

Better start shoppin for one for the collection.......... :D

xb2003

Just a rumor...It's still gonna be made. Still better go ahead and get another one though.

J

John Richied

As for XB-2002 being discontinued from the being built line up???… The hull molds will still be at the Allison Factory and in ten years if you want one… they will still be there.

X jumpin up and down in Y, did you give up on your XB-2003 already? Heck if just being a fast XB drag was all I wanted all I had to do was stay with my 225… LOL :wink:
Buying an XB-2002? How much more money is Kathy going to let you spend?

Hang on I’ll find out for you… <ring, ring… ring> “hello Kathy, this is boat & inventory control from the state of California. We have a few questions for you and won’t take but a minute of your time.
Is the current inventory we have correct for your husband’s boats and marine inventory items?”

Ole 18’ fishin boat with a Merc tower of power (inline 6)
Allison XR-2001
Allison XB-2003
Allison XS-2003

GPI 372 hp 2.5 Merc
JSRE 280 2.5 Merc
225 Merc with horn (blown up)
GPI 260 built to spin to the moon
GPI 280 2.5 Merc being built
Merc 280 short shaft brand new/bone stock
One 200 gearcase
Two XR-6 gearcases
Three Sportmaster gearcases
Enough props to open you own prop shop

And the last question: “ Kathy, do you see buying any more boats or inventory items in your future, say the next ten years?”
<A long dull silence… no response> then “HELL NO!” <SLAM!!!> Goes the phone!

Kathy calls Lou; “Honey is this inventory of your boats and engines correct?”
Lou’s response, “ ummmm honey, I can hardly hear you on this cell phone and well, I’m STUCK IN THE MUD!” as Lou heads straight to the jewelry store before heading home…

J

John Richied

How many years has the XR-2002 been discontinued? And yet I’ve been told if Darris gets an order for ten of them, he will build them.

CHRIS IND

Darris isn't selling

Given the fact that Allison has sold VERY few boats in the last couple of years, I bet if someone came with a serious offer he'd build less than ten.

$40K+ 20 footers are a hard sell in todays market...

Chris

GPI Racing

John,

Here is some inside info on the XR.

This is only to clarify what I feel is Darris missing the boat on what I feel would help business, not hurt.

A few years ago a gentleman approached me with a deal to buy 10 XR2002s. He want me to go half with him and arranged a deal that we would get the first 10 no matter who( if other dealers wanted some too) ordered. The money was to be paid up front. That would be good for Allison as it would give them cash and keep the plant busy. We would finally make some money on selling boats and not the usual 5%. If you think about it Allison has had the mold (XR2002) and tooling paid for many years (or decades). No investment just make the boats and turn some product. The boats would need to be cost effective for us to sell so what do you think the price we were quoted was?
The target price I needed was about $14K with a trailer for a bare boat. This would allow us to sell them at a halfway reasonable price. The cost to produce the boat and trailer is roughly half of the $14K in materials/labor. The tooling is long paid for. The price....$18,500 no extras..a bare boat with a steering system and trailer. By the time you tack on freight, some colors and rigging, then a motor the whole project is so unrealistic it was a waste of time. Even if you add some mold prep and some new parts it doesn't add up.

Now I may sound like I'm bitching...well I am. The XR2002 is a 25 year old boat. Long paid for. I want to sell boats and make a living to better take care of my customer base. Allison calls me and asks what they can do to get us dealers to sell more product. What part doesn't read here? Just down the road Jim C. at Hydrostream sells me a Venom, trailer (tandem with brakes and every option) ready to go for little more than $13K. And he has to PAY for his new tooling. I know how much it costs to produce a SS2000, or a XR2002 or an XB2002. I know within a few hundred bucks. If they wanted to build the boats at a fair price they could, unfortunately that is not in the cards. The XB2002 will be just another boat that dies because it is over priced compared to other models in the line. It and the XR should be sold as "heritage" models without the 'frills' of the new boats. It would entice new Allison owners that can't afford the XB2003 or XB21 (SS2000, or Gran Sport). A $50,000 twenty foot boat (by the tme you rig and outfit it with a new outboard) is a VERY small market. A $30K entry level model will open up sales they don't have right now. I feel the company needs these buyers to survive. Sales are way lower than just 5 years ago. Like I said in a different post here, Triton build more boats in one day than Allison did all last year.

Now you know the story, and a little more on the marketing scheme of things. Sometimes things don't make much sense.

Randy

A

allyfreek

allison future boats

Thanks for responding Randy. If I buy an Allison again I want a recently developed or a new model boat since the motors are getting bigger and heavier they require a larger boat. In fact, anyone buying a new Allison right now, one of the 20' boats it seems there is only one new Mercury motor by weight that can be used the 200XS. I hope Darris will be making a 21' to 22' River Racer, SS 2000 and XB 2002 in the future and I would like to put a 300XS Mercury (if they make one at that time) on the back. But the next question is are at some point even with the clean green motors will the 2-stroke outboard be a thing of the past? I don't mean to ramble but I don't want to buy a boat and motor combination that becomes a dinosaur in 5 years. I want to buy something that will be made for years to come. I just don't know what that is yet. It seem like overnight the Allison 17' bassboat in the 70's was forgotton once the 20' came out. Randy, I hope you and some others will respond.

ally2dextreme

john

im the one that put the deal on the xrs together and i called randy becase at the time i thought randy new a little something could have been wrong :lol: i just wanted one of the boats and i now darris good enuff to make somethings happen but the deal feel through when all of the poeple who swore THEY WOULD BUY ONE TOMORROW if i could get it done tuked tail and ran when i proved it a reality i didnt care to make any money i just wanted a new xr but what u need to know is allison plant is very small and they dont have room to store the many molds it takes to build a boat the 2002 xb is one of those boats do you think darris sold the record 2002 to build a new one ? he sold it becase with the motors we have there is no motor for the boat there all to heavy ive seen drawings of the new 2002 there several years old it want be built ? for ya do you know the last 2002 that was sold new what year i do do you know what year it was built i do

froggy

Don't discount using a 250XS or the possible 300XS on a 2003. All you have to do is reduce the offset to 3" and it handles, runs and fishes as well as or maybe even better than the 14.5" offset with the 400 pound engines! This is a fact. I'm considering repowering my 2003 with a 300XS, if the 300xs becomes a reality. Then I can use my 280 on our XR 2002 R.

The Allison hulls will not be obsolete, it will just take some creativity to utilize them.

froggy

fishnfireman

That or buy up some extra 2.5 powerheads and parts :!:

I wonder if there is some difference in the amount or placement of floatation in the 2003s :?:
My 2000 model (with skid plate and wallyball) would get the carpet wet when coming off plane..If you did not gas it before the back wash hit.
If you just killed the power it would wash all the way to the live well.
If me and partner were on the same side of the rear deck(neting a fish)--the carpet got wet. :oops:
A friend of mine re-powered his 1997 model 2003 with the new 3.0 225 XS
He took it off after two trips to the lake because with him and his wife on the back deck, water would come in the steering cable holes.. He found a still new 280.

but yet i hear of guys who are running the hvy wts and say there is no problem. :!: :!:

GPI Racing

ally2dextream,

Glad to see you came "out of the closet" as I didn't know if you wanted to have that info out there. For me the thing that "killed" it was the price. I know you went round and round with it but the bottom line is he wanted way too much for a very old boat. The idea was great. Great as it would help the plant with production and keep them steady with product going out, and for us some great boats (the XR2002 is my fav) for some of us. If the pricing was near target I still could sell all 10 but with it so far out there (the boats would have been over $20K the way I wanted them) it would have been a bad investment for us. I think the XB2002 is in the same "boat" as the XR. They need to sell them as "heritage" models and price them accordingly. Then they will sell.

Marketing...they have always been unusual in their marketing thoughts.

Randy

J

John Richied

Merc discontinuing most of their 2.5 high performance selection in engines… then Allison adapted to that, yeah that makes sense. So as usual Allison is ahead and with the times not wanting to encourage or sell their lighter line up of hulls that run much better with a lighter high revvin 2.5 high performance Merc.

Lucky us... a couple guys who build Merc engines bought a bunch of Merc 2.5 blocks and parts when they got the chance. :wink: Something about a garage sale… LOL

Just think, ten years from now a Merc 2.5 built and hanging on an Allison XB-02 screaming across the water just may STILL BE the fastest bassboats on the water. Guys will watch as they see the legendary set-ups flat flyin and listen to the screamin’ Merc 2.5’s TURNING IT UP! AND TURNING IT ON!!!
Man that sounds sooooo SWEET!

Getting back to the dock the questions will still be asked…. Man, how fast were you going? How many Rpm’s are you turning that thing? We could hear you coming!!!

Yeah, but I hear ya can’t fish out of those things… :p

froggy

Fireman,

Of course the Allison XB 2003 will wet the carpets with 14.5" of offset! Why do you think that some folks have reduced the offset to a reasonable number? Answer: so the boat will fish and handle like it should and will.

You can install a 530 pound Merc 250XS, not wet the carpet on shutdown and fish with a level boat if you will only use 3" of offset. I will tell you this setup has been done and the boat handles better than it ever did with 14.5" of offset with a 280. In addition the boat will bust 100mph and run with tackle, two fishermen, troll motor and gas above 96mph.

Don't dis the boat unless you've tried all the setups.

I can pull the kill switch, on my XB 2003, at 90mph, and the boat will glide to a stop and not wet the carpets. Setup, setup, setup. One cannot get the proper setup from the internet. Setup is trial and error, lots of each.

froggy

fishnfireman

froggy said:
Fireman,

Don't dis the boat unless you've tried all the setups.

Didn't meen to upset you there froggy.. Don't recall dis-in the boat. just asked if there might be a difference in floatation.

I One cannot get the proper setup from the internet.
froggy
Just for the record Darris set my rigs up long before I started reading this.
If I remember right they started sending the 2003 from the factory with 14.5" setback in 1999..... But hey sounds like your ready to rewrite all the record books.

Could it be-----that 11 inches or so of setback, has nothing to do with the wet deck :arrow: maybe it all has to do with how much more gear, fuel,live well water, tackle.etc.etc.. some of us carry :!: