Future Allison boats

hack02

Blue Grey, I'll take a stab at that. Conventional thinking and practice says you are right. Supposedly, with the short setback the engine is using some of its power just to hold the bow of the boat up instead of driving it forward. A little more setback will let the weight of the engine hold the bow up and let the thrust drive the boat forward. However, aerodynamics come into play somewhere when the wind starts to help hold the bow up. But, I don't think the air is enough. I get this reasoning by listening to the 03 guys talking about their bow dropping when they run out of motor on top end. I'm saying all this about an 03 because if I remember right thats what you drive. Sometimes, a little more setback, especially with a lower hp engine, will let the boat run flatter, instead of hanging the nose in the air. Flat is good. Setup and handling are always a compromise.

Blue Gray in PA

Actually I am running an XTB21 and the nose seems to fall over at top end and then come back up and then drop again in cycles now. Maybe it's caused by too shallow a prop setting or too much aero based on the HP.

Blue Gray in PA

Mine is a 1989 model - still in good shape and crack free. I think the nose is dropping over due to loss of prop bite but if I move the motor farther back and get more "natural" lift from the balance beam effect, maybe that will get me little more top-end. I had the prop re-worked last fall to match a previous one that I was told ran 5MPH faster but I cannot get the motor above 5500 RPM now and I know I saw 6K previously. I rebuilt the fuel pump and will go through the carbs in the spring and see what that does for me - along with the extra setback.