Future for XB2003

jimmyb

merc is not only working on verados... anyone notice the 225 and 250 proXS motors of late? 3 star CARB rating and strong (although they are of the "dreaded" 3.0L variety)

honestly, i a verado on an allison is pretty much a long shot... the 4 cyl is listed as 510... so if a 3.0L (or 3.2L) aint gonna cut the mustard, the 4 cyl verado aint either.

msethsmile

Funny Guy
499 hours on a 2.5--maybe. 500?--no way.
OMC's (BRP) 2.7 E-tec for a 2003? 410 lbs.

Darth VMAX

2-Stroke Small Blocks:
Evinrude: 150HO, 175, 200 ETEC 2.6L
Yamaha: 150 Vmax Carb, 150, 175 VMAX HPDI 2.6L
Mercury: 150, 175 Opti (is the 150/200 EFI available?)

I think its been shown that ALL of the 2-Stroke Big Blocks can successfully run on a XB2003. It also looks like the smaller 4-Strokes can work also (Yamaha F150 for example) Looks to me like there is still plenty of choices of motors to pick from to run on a XB2003.

True the days of a new in the box 7000+ rpm small block are gone, just have to change to lots of low rpm torque (something the OMC/Yamaha guys have been doing for years)

jimmyb

True the days of a new in the box 7000+ rpm small block are gone, just have to change to lots of low rpm torque (something the OMC/Yamaha guys have been doing for years)
actually the days arent gone... you just have to be more creative... you might not be able to buy completes anymore, but you can still buy everything you need

i know Lou is stockpiling :)

Myron

don't mean to be mean but mother mercury has lost there mind when it comes to prices of parts on engines they no longer build, I looked up the blue NGK plug wires like the pro-max and 260, they were over 100.00 a piece.

Yellowallison

a (((drop on)))drag off the MERCURY truck WAS $$$18,500 AT the last race :very sad :very sad :very sad

HOW MANY YU WANT???banghead

Darth VMAX

Put me down for 3 of them LOL...

Jimmy, I meant a new COMPLETE motor.

I think all Allisons offer much more than just blistering speed. With fuel being so expensive the fuel milage (even WHILE blistering the competing brands with a smaller motor) is or should be a huge selling point.

It appears that the future of performance Bass boats favors the heavier hulls. Right now there are not any hulls that will run with a properly setup XB2003 with a 2.5L unless they are running at least a 250 most likely a 300. But In the near future there will be some designs that will be fairly close running mid to upper 80's while burning far less feul and on lower octane than the 2.5L.

ALLISONMAN

the motors might burn less fuel but you still will get better fuel mileage with an allison and a 2.5l than you ever will get with another boat and a 3 liter!!!! boats make the mileage!!

jimmyb

the fuel economy of an xb2003 with a 3L optimax is pretty impressive too! I got better mileage with a 250XS than i did with a 200XS. I had a magic spot with the 250XS where i could pull down 8 mpg while going 48 mph. the best i ever got with the 200xs was 6-7 mpg

actually, my bullet is getting quite close to what my allison got

Last edited:

Darth VMAX

My guess would be slower with a little better MPG than the ones with 250xs. ;-)

Jimmy, what you said about the 200xs vs the 250xs kinda suprises me. Do you think its because the higher rpms of the 200 drank more fuel?

whipper

Personaly I dont think for a minute that the light weight high HP outboard is gone at all. There is no way that Mercury will go backward in there race programs! Right now there is still the Drag that is light and powerfull. The whole shift in the market to larger boats has forced them to manufacture larger hp longer motors to accomidate the higher transoms of the offshore fishing croud. The latest to the stable is the new 4cyl Verodo as was mentioned 510 lbs 200hp. To make that motor for an example 300hp and weigh 60-80lbs less is not that hard to do at all!! Being supercharged the sky is the limmit for rpm and HP! Engine builders make engines lighter and more powerfull than ever before thats what they do! We are in a new era and in very short order the new high performance engines will be available I will bank on that!! The development of a complete new line of engines made for the regular consumer allways comes first. The lighter engines with better mileage and performance always has followed. I believe that once Mercury gets the sales figures up with there new line and has the profites to start tweeking the new line they will. The prototypes will be seen in there offshore raceing program first. Thats were I would look to see what will soon be available to the High performance consumer. The new Alloy Merc is useing for there new props I think will start to make its way more so into the mids of the new line of engines there building making them lighter. The superchargers can be tuned,the acu,s can be tunned,ect.The day you see twin Verodos on a race hull is the day to start smileing:smile They all want power to wieght also! James

fishnfireman

I'm with you whipper...
I said it when they first announced they were going to quit making the 2.5s.

It's only a mater of time before the 4 stroke will be a viable hot-rod boat mtr.
The technology is already here it's just going to take some time to get it applied to an outboard. Especially when it is not that large of a market. Right now Merc. has poured a lot of money into the new generation 2 stroke and the bigger 4 strokes. Mostly to keep all the greenies pacified..

If someone would have told me back when I raced motocross that a 4 stroke would someday run with a 2 stroke. I would have lost the farm.
Watch an episode of Nopi tuner vision

JR

I would not trade my 1.2 litre four-stroke turbocharged Honda PWC for any of the two-strokes. It's too reliable and gets to good MPG to go to something else.

Kawi has introduced their new 1.5 litre 250 HP 4-stroke supercharged PWC, which is leading the way for where Merc needs to go. Now Merc just needs to catch up.
BTW the whole Kawi only weighs about 1000# so I am sure that the powerhead and a mid/gearcase could be packaged in 400# without the pump, waterbox silencer, fuel tank, battery ect....

Mr. Scary

Evinrude has the best platform, and there are occasional hints that they'd like to get into some performance, but until they do, it's dicey at best.

Mercury is at least TRYING to do high performance. I just think the boating industry lacked a good lobby and didn't fight the potential EPA issues well enough. I can open up a Jeg's catalog and buy anything I want for my TrailBlazer, but you can't even think about touching an outboard. The difference between pollution in boats and cars is ridiculous, yet cars still have access to tons of dirty technology.

FlatOutAlly

......I can open up a Jeg's catalog and buy anything I want for my TrailBlazer, but you can't even think about touching an outboard. The difference between pollution in boats and cars is ridiculous, yet cars still have access to tons of dirty technology.
Sucks, but it's true. It's all about economy of scale. Like it or not we hot outboard boaters, are WAY too small a sliver of the pie. I use sliver rather than slice for a reason. It's really too bad, but economics runs your commode these days. I, for one, think that you will never see a 400 pound Hi-performance outboard produced again. No need (economically) for it on this planet anymore. Sad but true.

badbait

FlatOut,
I hope your wrong young man but I don't think you are. Anyway at 66 I don't have the time to wait for the next generation of motors. So I'm just going to run the piss out of whatever I can make work.

Last edited: