Go Devil mud boat driving?

biller31

Okay so since I'm the "Boat Guy" in my duck hunting group, I got volunteered to drive the GoDevil mud boat to and from the duck blind in Mississippi this winter. I said "Well I've never drove one but I'm sure I can figure it out". (Famous last words!) Is there anything I need to know. It looks like on the Youtube videos I just watched that you can just go about anywhere there's water. Is this an accurate assessment?

strip

What comes to my mind is the fact that everyone else in the boat will be hunkered down out of the wind and the driver will be standing up catching the wind full on! LOL! I have never driven one so I think as long as you have 4+ inches of water or soup then hammer down! I think stumps and rocks could be a show stopper though!

DragAlly02

My brother has a 27 Koler Mud buddy Long tail we hunt down in alabama with it . Its Hilarious to watch him run that thing its absoulty whipps his :cuss.:very happy and yes its alot better too be hunkerd down out of the cold.lol they are alot of fun.. thing will amaze you on where it can go .not easy to drive though

Mike

biller31

Nice! Yep I expect I'll probably hit a giant stump then. I have a knack for finding underwater structure. Looking forward to getting my a** kicked in the freezing cold by this boat. BTW Poe, what's e.p.i.r.b.? :) (I already know this is gonna be funny)

Texan

I've got a buddy that has one. He's got the GoDevil boat to go with it, too. The hull is thicker than your average metal boat. Anyway, we went crappie fishing earlier in the year on a lake I grew up on. After we drained the fish out of a few honey holes, he took off to the back on a creek channel that I know is full of stumps. He had his driving seat in and I was sitting in the forward seat offset to the other side of his. He bumped several underwater stumps that got me to hanging on. I turned and asked him what the #$%& he was doing crossing the stump field at WOT? He grinned back at me and told me that it isn't the stumps you don't see that bother him. It's the stick up's you CAN see that he'll steer clear of. And we bumped over several more before we were done!

Duck hunting is what he bought the rig for. Fishing is just the good adder. During duck season he takes the troller off and all but the drivers seat out, piles in all his buddies and away they go. Basically he tells me that it goes just about anywhere there is water.

PM me if you want and I'll get you this guy's name and number and/or e-mail address. He'll talk your ear off about the virtues of his rig.

HO

Biller,
Stand slightly in front of the yoke so when the prop kicks the engine you will not get thrown in the water. Do you know if you are driving a long shaft or short shaft engine? I have driven both a good bit they both handle differently. Regardless of the shaft length, the tabs on the running gear should be set to where the prop wants to run right at the surface (without cavitating) and does not pull in either direction.

John

biller31

LOL!!! Oh yeah we'll probably need one of those! I just happen to have an A-star sticker laying around somewhere.

HO, I don't know what kind of motor it has. I was just told "Hey, You're in charge of the Godevil mud boat. All boating activities are your responsibility on the whole trip". I was like.... O....K .... I'm sure I'll figure it out.

My new Droid cell phone has Hotmaps on it. So I got that goin for me. Hey Poe ,maybe my phone has a e.p.i.r.b. app on it somewhere. Think I should down load that? :)

biller31

Okay... Go Devil boats are awesome! you don't even really need water! mud will do fine! I totally want one!