GrandSport is home

ScottB

I need more weight on the port side, as I weigh more than Nick. Also, I tend to not look way up stream and focus on the actions of the bow too much. Finally, finding the trim spot(s) is a challenge, as I am probably too buried most of the time. Work in progress.

Jon

Supporting Member
I need more weight on the port side, as I weigh more than Nick. Also, I tend to not look way up stream and focus on the actions of the bow too much. Finally, finding the trim spot(s) is a challenge, as I am probably too buried most of the time. Work in progress.
I had to work through this on my GS. I made a reference mark on my trim gauge for the bullet being dead level, and I am just burying the nose at that point. More trim lifts the bow, but at the consequence of too much positive trim resulting in the bullet just digging through the water. I can actually trim to the high speed trim and run without issue, which is bad, because I'm still not out of the water as much as I should be.

Look for dead level on your trim, try to run it like that (once you're comfortable running at WOT) and see how it does. Right now, as Whip said, at 60, you're in the tough spot. Running a GS in the 50's is easy, and 70+ is easier. 65-70 as it is coming on the pad is like riding a unicycle down stairs, it's best to just pass that speed up, get onto the pad, and try to run at 70+ once you're comfortable with the 50 mph range. My boat runs smoother and is easier to drive at WOT than any other speed. It is a one handed drive, although I do not do that, but it doesn't wobble much at all, and tracks dead straight with very light steering.

Where I am today is still not enough bow lift still. I am only at 9.5" of setback today, even with the pad, changing to 12.5 later this afternoon, and trying a couple of different props. Also, the pad on my boat needs a little losing edge work to sharpen it up a little - so that is likely a lot of my running problem.

ScottB

No trim gauge on this boat, so I counted it out in my head (tucked in to ~ level) when it was on the trailer and do this once on plane. Yeah, the feeling is odd once you get around 50 and feel the boat lift. I guess I need to keep my foot into it and get to that 70+ mark. I have not touched the set-up from the previous owner, as he had the boat running well.

ScottB

If you ever need driving tip there are a couple of good grand sport drivers in this area if you need any help just let us know it's not as hard as they say
I might go out on Sunday, even though it may be cold. If anyone is open, I will buy lunch!

Jon

Supporting Member
I might go out on Sunday, even though it may be cold. If anyone is open, I will buy lunch!
I hear you. It's not even going to crack 90 today. I'll stay in with my sweatshirt on.