Grandsport wanted

RBT

I am looking for a Allison Grandsport,

I really want a Blue one, then yellow then Red as far a color goes.
But let me know what is out there. With or without power (it is getting a 280SS)

Cash waiting for the right boat.

RT
416-708-5206

RBT

Should add Black would be great too, NO teal.

RT

Jay Martin

I know where one is and I think it's blue. I have not seen it lately but it is in stoarage, has a yamaha 225 with titus case. I know it has not been in the water for at least 3 to 4 years.
The boat is in Greenville, Ms...
The guys name is Fred Balugh (spell?) His work number is 662-335-6400 just ask for Fred. I talked to him about a month ago and he did say he was wanting to sell it.

RBT

Great, I will call him and see.
Thanks for the help.

patches

When you say blue are you talking about blue wingtips and stripes.

Rob, I woulda had you figured for an SS2000 before the Grandsport. Shows what I know:big grin

RBT

Yes, on the wingtips and stripes.
I am not an SS2000 fan, and frankly I don't think they are a lot faster than a GS. I have never seen one go over 110.
They are beautiful, just not my cup of tea.
I am not allowed a real fast boat... the GS is the only one I can seem to get past the war department.

Jay Martin

I am not allowed a real fast boat... the GS is the only one I can seem to get past the war department.[/QUOTE]

Thats funny....:LMAO:....
You not in that boat alone...I have the same war dePartment...I have XB 20003, it's fast eough for me....SO FAR.....:laughing:laughing:laughing......

hullbilly

Rob,

Harry Billiot (XXXR2001 on this board) posted his for sale a couple weeks ago on s&f. Harry's the guy with the all blue xr2001 running that trick 3 litre with mariner cowls. Super nice guy and his stuff is super clean! May be worth looking him up. I couldn't find the link just now, so not sure if he may have sold it!

RBT

Ya I know Harry, we are PMing about it. It is on my list for sure.

patches

I actually agree with you on the SS2000. I've never been crazy about the looks of that boat. Good luck on the search.

K.Kiser

Yes, on the wingtips and stripes.
I am not an SS2000 fan, and frankly I don't think they are a lot faster than a GS. I have never seen one go over 110.
They are beautiful, just not my cup of tea.
I am not allowed a real fast boat... the GS is the only one I can seem to get past the war department.
I agree the GS is a more user friendly hull and I'd prefer one Myself if I did alot of lake riding with passengers and such, but SS's can and have gone well above 110 if that is a deciding factor for You...

RBT

I really don't care about the speed. I do want it to go 100, I know that won't be an issue. Just really want a boat that the war department will let me have (she made me sell my STV), and still get some of my giggles going fast.
How fast are the SS's, cus I thought the general rule was not much more than 110.

Lotus 50

"I am not an SS2000 fan, and frankly I don't think they are a lot faster than a GS. I have never seen one go over 110."

I'd always assumed the SS was 10 mph faster than the GS, but the above remark had me looking for data.

On the front page of this site are links to owners boats.

The fastest two GS
103 Bucknell, 260
102 Ziemer, 260

The fastest SS
121 Pratt, 280
120.7 Dockboy, 280
120 Joachim, 280
119.5, Tiger, 260 (from Hotboat)

The differences in SS and GS speed seem smaller with less HP, but the SS seems clearly faster.

Last edited:

RBT

You can throw Bob's number out, Tigers had a XR case, 26cc heads, was an R version, and had a few other Diamond mods.
The other two I have no clue about.
I know of a few grandsports in the 106 range and one at 110.

allison8503

now this is just my opinion. I have driven all of them and they all will fly. But if I was going to buy one for a lake boat it would be a XB 2002 or XB 2003. There just as fast if not faster more storage for the war departments stuff and you can walk all over them. I like to go ride in the winter and getting in and out of them without getting wet is much easier, because im not about to crawl all over the deck of a all glass boat and it is much easier if you want to go ride by yourself to launch.

JASONPIJANOWSKI

Ive owned both GS and SS!!! The GS is a nice boat but it aint the most friendly boat to drive if you think your going to step out of a stv and never driven one good luck it will tame you quickly!!!!!! GS is fast no dought had a lot of power on it 97-98. SS is so much quicker its night and day!!! Bought my SS from RACERX 300 drag 26 stock chopper 115.8 alot of guys seen at the allison ralley. I have a 225 pm on it know it will run a little over a 100 and is alot easier to drive it aint a stock motor a few little mods! Thats my 2 cents!!
Jason

RBT

I have lots of GS and SS seat time, so I have little fear of that. Frankly my STV was harder to drive then they are, but then it had A LOT more power and was light.
I find the GS a fairly easy drive. That being said I have never had one over 100mph, and don't really care to go much faster than that. I just want to be able to cruise on the lake and keep up with my buddies. With a warmed up 280 (about 300hp) it should be a nice pkg.
115 sounds about right for the SS with a drag. I know Jeff C can DRIVE too, I am suspect at all the 120 claims. Not sayin it cannot be done, just never seen it.

jay j

rob i have a friend that might sell his gs its my old one white yellow black. the gs is a great 90mph boat, and alot of fun, and they will run over 100, but they do not belong there nose can get pushed very easily and with your weight on one side can give you a nasty throw into the passenger side of the boat. my current rig has a sporty with the it cut down and no torque tamer- ground it off and had it 93-94 with 5 people loaded turning a 24et
mid 8's very fun family loves it and they do not even know they have that fast, and really i did not either. i'll check with him if you are interested. i do have pics on here