Grandsport wanted

whipper

I love my GSE. I would love a SS also but like the three Adult room across the rear bench over the SS. If i didnt half to have the 5 person room i would have an SS. I would also call the Factory and ask Nancy or Bill about the 23ft GS? If your taking the plung maybe there will be orders being taken for one of them soon? I suspect with a 300XS they will be around 100mph hull with lots of room.

Lotus 50

I stand corrected

It surprises me that the GS has the reputation for having a '100 mph wall'. A Tuff 21, a boat RBT is familiar with, has gone 100+. It seems like a much bigger boat. I could be wrong about that too.

whipper

I think the wall is around 105-106. There has been one that I know of that hit 112mph and 110 with 4 aboard quite regular. Its in the weight I think because the one that does 112 has a 300PM strapped on the back. All the other ones that do 105 have a 260 or 280. 100mph in a GS is achievable with a strong 225 and a 32 cleaver. There has been a few do that also. One day if I ever get to sea level Ill try. I can do 94+mph with a 225 at 2200 and 2500ft above sea level with a 28 4 blade.
Im at a 25-30hp loss running at these altidudes were I live. Im sure at sea level with a good 32 cleaver 100 is achievable. Ziemer or Todd can say because I havent been 100 in mine yet but they get "flighty" over 104 Ive been told. Thats what the guy I know with the 112mph GS said they like the extra wieght and torque of the 300PM. The problem with a 260 or 280 is if you added the wieght to settle her down you now dont have the torque to get you there. Hence this has only been done with a 300PM a 500lb motor. With plenty of torque to do 110 with 4 aboard. Also interestly Todd has gone 103+ with 4 aboard with a stock 260 in his GS. A GS isnt much heavier than a SS. 100-120 lbs but the GS has an inch wider beam also. Not to many ever wiegh a GS compared to the SS model also.So there may be some lighter ones who realy knows? I think a stripped down GS with a slide seat and wheel to CS with wieght in all the right places and a race cowl would be pretty fast with a strong 260 or 280. I dont know anyone that has ever tried that though? Most folks leave the boats the way they are and go as fast as they can that way. C Steer i think would be a big advantage in a GS personaly. I need 55 extra LBS to off set the balance when By my self as an example.
I would love to have the Battery in the center the seat in the center with no extra balast and a race hatch and see what differance that makes.
Im thinking quite a bit.

ziemer

I think the wall is around 105-106.
Yep. :beer:

whipper said:
I havent been 100 in mine yet but they get "flighty" over 104 Ive been told.
Mine is solid over 100, it just won't go any faster. I haven't played too much with props, but I can bump up, down on the trim and it runs the same. Only time it get's the least bit flighty is right at 100 if I've got a little too much trim...however if you stay in it, the boat will lay down just perfect. :big grin

whipper said:
Not to many ever wiegh a GS compared to the SS model also.
Mine is right in line with the 950 quoted from Allison. With all of the sunpad cushions off, 2 small batteries (maybe 50lbs total) the passenger seat out, and me in the boat ready to run (with no fuel) it weighs 1620-1625. Compared to an SS-Excel I want to say Whipper's right the GS is between 100-150 lbs heavier.

whipper

Yep. :beer:

Mine is solid over 100, it just won't go any faster. I haven't played too much with props, but I can bump up, down on the trim and it runs the same. Only time it get's the least bit flighty is right at 100 if I've got a little too much trim...however if you stay in it, the boat will lay down just perfect. :big grin

Mine is right in line with the 950 quoted from Allison. With all of the sunpad cushions off, 2 small batteries (maybe 50lbs total) the passenger seat out, and me in the boat ready to run (with no fuel) it weighs 1620-1625. Compared to an SS-Excel I want to say Whipper's right the GS is between 100-150 lbs heavier.
Thanks for verifiy this stuff Ziemer. Its good info to store in the memory bank for a day or so!:big grin I cant wait till the day I get a 260,280 or even a 300 for that matter. I would try and make a 300PM work just for heck of it. If there was a Ratcheting drive for a 300XS that would be the one to try and make work in a 15 inch. That way when Darris ever starts selling the 23ft GS I have the motor for her. You have a sweet running GS Ziemer one day Ill make it down to were all the fast boats are and you can take me for a 100mph ride in your GS.
James

michael j giesler

I have a 2001 ally gs elite with a 2001 2.5 280 20" sport with 12" of setback and I run a 28 chopper 2 worked by dah will run 100 with 2 people fastest I ever gone is 103-104 hit a wall tried diffent props and same speed but in rough water I can go though 2' all day and still be in the 90's my ss-comp no way I think Jeff Baker put a drag motor on a gs and Sam drove it to 106 then it hit a wall I LOVE MY GS AND WILL NEVER SELL IT:very happy

shiver

Probationary User
have u found a boat yet. i have a yellow and white 1992 gs in excellent condition.

shiver

Probationary User
i am new at this so i do not know how to post pics but the boat is listed on this forum under boats for sale and the post is by jayj back in oct of 2009. i have more pics i can send to your email address

zatchmo

I bought my boat site un-seen off this website. The people here seem to be very honest. Enjoy the boat. I'm hooked now and I had never even seen an Alli in person before I bought mine.

zatchmo

I'd rather paddle around an Ally then drive anything else...
Funny you mentioned that. My hull showed up about a week before my motor and I damn near did. Unfortunately our river runs through town with about a 2 mph current and I was worried about getting back up to the boat ramp on the trolling motor. That was the LONGEST week wait in my entire life I think. I got to look at the boat parked beside the garage for a whole week without being able to use it!

(Rest assured I moved right after that into a place with a garage big enough for my boat. It only slept outside for about a week and a half and was covered every minute it wasn't in use.)