Grandsports with 15" motors

John S

Just some winter pondering. How do grandsports run with a 15" mid compared to a 20"? I really didnt like the way my xb2003 handled with my 15" 260, seemed like the 15" didnt want to carry the nose, and it was a pain to bring off plane. Is the grandsport the same deal?

procomp

I'll let ya know in a few months John :beer:
I think its the heavier boat you didn't like, not the 15" to 20" thing.

John S

That could be, from talking to a few guys, the xb03's like that longer lever of the 20". I never felt stable on the topend like I do in the xb02, it felt squirrelly. Cool beans that you found one B-rad, it will look killer on your rig. How you been?

Myron

I have ran a 15" on 2003 Pro Sport for about 15 years, never had any trouble

ziemer

Love mine. :beer:

I actually think it handles a little better, but most of all, just looks a whole lot more bad a$$. :gasp :cool

whipper

Love mine. :beer:

I actually think it handles a little better, but most of all, just looks a whole lot more bad a$$. :gasp :cool

I agree tottaly with the badass look of a 15!! Not to mention setup right you dont need to even tilt your motor up hardly to trailer.

resqu-u

Wouldn't want another with a 20" now that I'm getting used to the 15" but I only have a yamaha 2.6 to compare. I know nothing sounds better or looks better out there :)

John S

Ill admit, I only spent one year on that setup, so I might have found a better feel with more time. And like B-rad said, I really missed the feel of the smaller boat. There is no doubt that a 15" has the cool looking factor. Maybe I can feed B-rad a couple Molsens, and he will let me try his oot this year. I would assume that the grandsport and xb2003 share handling characteristics somewhat?

procomp

Ill admit, I only spent one year on that setup, so I might have found a better feel with more time. And like B-rad said, I really missed the feel of the smaller boat. There is no doubt that a 15" has the cool looking factor. Maybe I can feed B-rad a couple Molsens, and he will let me try his oot this year. I would assume that the grandsport and xb2003 share handling characteristics somewhat?
anytime, love to try your XB too. Win, Win :) Come up for the May long weekend :big grin

Jr in Jax

I love my 15" but hate the way it gets dunked every time I come off plane especially in salt water.

procomp

What are you guys using for jackplates? I just bought a jack plate that is for a 20" to 15" conversion and I can't get enough height out of it :( May have to add set back lift brackets which I'm not too happy about.

Bobalouie

If its one of the convertable plates you might try flipping the sides over. It may be set up backwards, but if its not, you should have additional height, but getting low enough may be a problem.

msethsmile

Funny Guy
IMO the xb03 handles better on the big end vs the gs. The bulb on the bow of the gs is the problem. The 03 is well, flat. I ran a factory 15 and a aftermarket 15 on a gs and liked it. The xb03 rotated between 15 and 20, I preferred the 15 for cg and looks.

ziemer

What are you guys using for jackplates? I just bought a jack plate that is for a 20" to 15" conversion and I can't get enough height out of it :( May have to add set back lift brackets which I'm not too happy about.
I've got a convertable Allison plate. Sounds like it may still be setup for a 20". I don't have mine mounted high on the plate either and I can get well above the pad. (Mine is a 7"-8 1/2")