Hbird Si on MKota Terrova troller

RedAllison

Well I pulled the trigger on the Minn Kota Terrova Ipilot troller. The unique setup on the mount added to the fact that she shaft must slide through the mount makes for unconventional mounting of Side or Down Imaging tranducers. I already had a Hbird 997Si on the bow of my 21 so I certainly wanted to put the transducer on the Terrova. Below are the steps and pics. If you had quickset epoxy and paint I suppose you could do it all in one day but I wanted to assure proper curing so the process took several days. (Pics begin L-R on top row)

Pic 1: MEGA THANKS to my bud Eric Petty for removing the Maxxum Pro troller I had, drilling and installing the MK quick bracket and then mounting the motor. I just STILL can't bring nor trust myself to drill holes in my baby! :cuss I didn't really want to use the MK plate at first but after reading the owners manual the requirement to have the motors shaft at least 1.5" away from the rubrail necessitated the use of the plate. (Honestly it wouldn't take a couple of minutes to remove the transducer cable from under the bow if I wanted to remove the troller but that'll never happen, I didn't buy the 21 for lightweight, flatout speed) Eric operates Bassboat Outfitters in Henderson, TN and if you've been to the last couple of Fastpass Rallies you've seen Eric in his white/purple single console Stroker. Checkout his Bassboat Outfitters page on Facebook!

Pic 2: The mounted motor, ready to be carried home and the Si transducer operation began.

Pic 3: ("Custom" motor support optional. :big grin ) Since the shaft must be slid through the motors base, the head of the motor must first be removed. That only necessitated the removal of 5 bolts, 4 that hold the plastic top on the head itself and 1 thru the shaft that attaches it all onto the shaft. This motor has the "Universal Transducer" built into it so that cable was disconnected and I did away with that end of the cable that ran out of the head, down through the spiraled main power chord where it would then attach to a standard 2D flasher. The remaining 3 wires are the +/- power chords and the thin brown wire with a fuse link in it. DON'T discard or cut those blue sheaths that come wrapped around the power cables, they AREN'T fancy heatshrink... they are weaved looms that cutdown on radio/noise interference to any depthfinders! With all that removed, you simply slide the shaft out of the mount and prepare it for the next step.

Pic 4: The shaft on this motor has a preformed groove in it that is a good place to mount the transducer cable for the Hbird Si unit into. (Sorry Lowrance users, I understand that Lowrance Si transducer cable is to big in diameter for this epoxy trick. I'm "sure" Johnson Outdoors owning both Hbird & MinnKota DIDN'T plan that! :razz ) The transducer is mounted on a Transducer Shield mount. I wrapped the exposed cable on the lowerunit in plastic tubing/cable sheating for extra insurance when I first mounted the 997 up front a few years back, works perfectly. 3 zipties snug the cable up as it goes from the top of the lowerunit to the bottom of the shaft. Make sure you position the cable to be inline with the center of the shaft groove! I then used a 2 part marine epoxy and "glued the cable" to the shaft in 2"-3" sections, "painting" the epoxy onto the shaft with a small paintbrush. To keep tension on the cable for proper epoxy curing I used alternating strips of masking tape and zipties. If you wrapped the whole thing in tape I assume improper airflow would inhibit proper curing? That was my partial reason for the zipties... the other reason for the zipties was to still hold the cable after I removed the tape after a day of curing. Once the tape was removed I used another small paintbrush to epoxy both sides of the cable so that effectively 3 sides of the cable is bonded into the shaft groove. Once again I let that cure for another day before removing the zipties. (obviously you don't want to remove the ties on the very top and bottom of the shaft!)

Pic 5: The finished epoxy job. Not pretty but this shows you what it all looked like before paint. I'm pretty confident in the strength and I paid extra attention when applying the epoxy everywhere to cover/prevent any holes/gaps in the epoxy for water to possible freeze and cause problems in.

Pic 6: Now ready for paint, I taped off and masked everything but the groove/cable itself. For paint I used Krylon's "Fusion" in satin black. That paint is supposed to be especially made for plastics and semi-flexible surfaces. I put 3 coats on, allowing appx 6hrs cure time between coats.

Pic 7: The paint complete and masking removed. Now ready for re-installation.

Pic 8: This is the bottom of the motor mount that the shaft will be reinstalled through. Taping power wires onto the transducer cable made it much easier to install the shaft through the mount as it's a snug fit.

Pic 9: This pic shows the 3 zipties at the bottom of the shaft.

Pic 10: I reinstalled the bolt in the shaft that holds the head assembly atop the shaft. I did this as a reminder to make sure you watch this when you are reinstalling that bolt through the bottom of the head assembly and shaft so that you DON'T screw the bolt through one of the wires! :help KEEP THIS IN MIND...

Attachments

RedAllison

cont...

Pic 11: This shows the top of the motor and trans cable. I ran it over and through the coiled powerchord of the motor as that's how MK designed them to be run for protection and keeping everything neat and tidy.

Pic 12: It's finished! This shows what the motor looks like when stowed. (Minus the "custom" support, I just put that there so my boat cover wont cause any warpage or bowing of the shaft)

Pic 13: This is the finished motor in the deployed position. The electric steer motor can spin around 360 degrees unlimited times but the slack required in the transducer cable for a full 360 in any direction is very minute.

Now to get this thing wet and report back on the remote control motor. (You mightve noticed the control foot is gone. I unplugged it and it's in my truck. I'll probably carry it but honestly anticipate using the remote control the majority of the time)

Attachments

allimax

Nice write up. If you get a chance could you take some closer shots of the transducer mounted to the motor? I used a MK autopilot on my last rig and really liked it so I

RedAllison

Ok a bud and I went to Pickwick today, with all the rain and highwater we've had in the south for the last month, the TN River is ROLLIN. LOTS of water and even more TRASH in the water! :cuss Whole trees and dock floats in the river, running much over 40-50 is a suicide mission or just asking for trouble.

The Terrova was AWESOME! I fished all day and at the end of the day I felt like I had been fishing as the non-boater, there really is no "controlling" anything with this motor. Just throw it over the bow and either sit in one spot like near a waypoint, point, ledge, brushpile etc with the "Spot Lock" or point it down a bank/ledge/bluff and turn the "Cruise Control" on and just literally forget about the boat, just FISH! :gone fishing It took me about 2-3 hours to really get to where I felt like the remote control was "second nature" to me. I never even hooked up the foot control unit, it rode in a storage box all day. With the remote around my neck I just never felt like I ever even needed the foot controller.

This motor is AMAZING, exceeded my expectations FAR AND BEYOND what I expected! :beer:
RA

RedAllison

I made a "bounce buster/handle" out of 1.25" pvc, cap, t-joint, some pipe joint clamps and black spraypaint for plastic. (If you're on Facebook there is a video of it in action on my page)

I never liked the idea of the various RAM mounts available for these motors because I didn't want to be forced to bolt anything on the floor/deck that would only be in the way. Honestly the shaft and mount is PLENTY strong as it is and the head of the Terrova weighs essentially nothing but this will insure no sag or warp in the shaft while covered and it likewise makes a handle for lift/deployment. There's a neat billet metal handle for the motors on the market but it doesnt do anything for support, thus my "bubba creation".

Attachments

SmallJaw

Red, I have been having some recent issues with arthritis in my knees and hips. That new MK I put on back around Christmas works nice but sure is rough on my legs. I'm in the thinking stages of putting a Terrova on my boat and selling the one on it now. As you know I fish the upriver current a great deal on Pickwick and I know you fish more down river. Do you think the Terrova's reaction time is fast enough so that in the 2.9 mph currents we see when they are moving the notorious 50K CFS through Wilson that I'd be ok with it dodging trees, docks, and rocks?:confused Oh, I have Lowrance units of course and from your post it looks like I'd have to use some of my machine shop brainiacks to figure out how to make the job as professional as yours turned out. I have to have my front SI/DI capability. I'm spoiled to that already.

GotMyAlly

I forgot all about the new trolling motor! I meant to ask to take it for a spin at the rally and completely forgot!

Smalljaw..........it ain't no replacement for a Terrova, but if the kickback and side-to-side steering torque is what's achin' ya, try putting a Troll Perfect on your MK. It won't help if the actually steering is giving you fits, but it makes it 100% easier to control on high speeds in current. Like I said, it ain't a replacement for the Terrova, but it might buy you a little cheap relief until you get the upgrade figured out.

SmallJaw

I forgot all about the new trolling motor! I meant to ask to take it for a spin at the rally and completely forgot!

Smalljaw..........it ain't no replacement for a Terrova, but if the kickback and side-to-side steering torque is what's achin' ya, try putting a Troll Perfect on your MK. It won't help if the actually steering is giving you fits, but it makes it 100% easier to control on high speeds in current. Like I said, it ain't a replacement for the Terrova, but it might buy you a little cheap relief until you get the upgrade figured out.
Since my pedal is not recessed I constantly have my right foot in the air while balancing on the left foot. This causes a lot of weight on my knee. The kickback in the current is bad deal too that causes a headache of issues. I like the Terrova for performance and ease of use. Something automatic and leg free sounds enticing however.

SmallJaw

I know the person who makes these. I have one on my Champion. Wish I had it 20+ years ago. Makes a world of difference. Your knees, hips and back will thank you.

http://www.comfortroll.com/
I have looked at putting a recessed tray in my boat but on a Bassport the front area where the tray would go appears to be to shallow for the tray due to a rib running down the middle of the boat from the bow towards the stern. I may have to get a skinny guy with a tape measurer to go heads first up inside my middle storage and see for sure. I've only looked from afar since I could get up in there. No doubt having a recessed pedal would make a huge difference. I've also been looking at the rings that you put on that keeps the shaft from spinning around uncontrollable in current or when you have the power set up high. After a day or night of standing up there running the trolling motor I'm about used up for a couple of days.:smile

JWW8

Smalljaw,

The newer BasSports have a recessed pedal and I don't think the hull has changed. You should be fine but agree with calling Mother Allison just to make sure before cutting into it. I installed one on my last boat (not an Allison) and it worked fine. Used a Saw Zall to cut the hole.