Hoss And Mazco Propellers

fishnfireman

LOVE em

Between Dave and John,
there props hold a whole sack full of records. including the (Worlds fastest bass boat)
When I had a 2003. I had several Mazcos-- still have a 26 RE3 that is about 10 years old.
I used the RE4's for tournament fishing a 26 for higher elevation and a 28 for lower.
I had a 30 pitch RE3 that was the fastest prop I ever ran. Along with a 29 RE3 that was awesome.

I only have had one of Daves props...But I bet froggy can give you all the info you need.:smile

ImbadBob

I ran a 24 triton 1 and a 28 Triton 1 on a 2003 / 260. Loved them. Good hole shot , drove good .good speed. The 24 was my favorite play prop. The 28 would take you places.
Later bob

ally2dextreme

i have 100 props..if i had to get rid of 99 i would be left with the hoss 30 that was on my boat when i bought it. the mazco use to be great on the 03s but i think they started to shy away when they started slinging ears off

Allison's Allison

i have 100 props..if i had to get rid of 99 i would be left with the hoss 30 that was on my boat when i bought it. the mazco use to be great on the 03s but i think they started to shy away when they started slinging ears off
I was thinking about it the same way. If I had to get rid of all my props but one, my 28 hoss hyperdrive would be the "last man standing"

fishnfireman

I never ran a RE3 but have a RE4 and it worked great for fishing.
Chad.
Do you have the smallshaft ?

If so... I still have a 29 RE3 which is kinda on loan that I might repo.
It is one of those "special' wheels---- you get that pig to turning and it just keeps going faster.
If I can get ahold of it I'll ship it to you.for a run..I think it would do real good on your rig.

chad202

Yes I do. That would be great.

Chad St. Pierre
32770 LA 642 N
Paulina, LA 70763

I should be trying a Darris special 29 hoss triton in the upcoming weeks also.

RobShaw-BasSport

I really like the Mazco RE-4 and never had a problem with loosing an ear. I really want to run a Hoss someday. Does anyone have a Hoss that would be a good fit on a BasSport Pro/250XS fat shaft?

Whatever happened to hossprops.com????

Jimxb02

I'm running a Hoss hyperdrive 30 pitch that I've had for three seasons. Fastest prop I've run on my XB2002 to date. It also holds up well ---- no nicks or scratches after three seasons. The blades on the hyperdrive are slightly thicker than the Triton for added strength, but still gives good speed.

Jim

froggy

Guyz,

I bought a 2003 because of Dave Bostic's (Hoss) A-Bote fanatacism. I had mine a short while when I found a deal on another and Dave bought it. He has a 225PMax and I have a 280.

At first we had a heck of a time getting anything to run (we mean RUN) on these boats. We were used to crammin a Triton on an XB 2002 and hangin triples every time---not so with the 2003. After almost giving up, I found a labbed 30 Pitch ET and boy did it run! Ran Dave's boat into the mid 90's and mine to the triples: boat attitude and handling were also super. Only negative was load carrying, although we had full tackle, full gas, three batteries and trollers as well as driver on board.

Now that Dave saw that it was possible to prop an XB 2003 he went back to his shop and didn't come out for two days; when he emerged it was with a 4 blade, 30 pitch, Hyperdrive. Lo-and -behold it was two MPH faster than the 30P ET on his boat. It was slower on my boat.

Well a lot of water has passed under our 2003's and a bunch of props have been prototyped. Dave has two prototypes that show lot's of promise, both 3 blade, chopper type, props. One is called an "ES" the other a "Bill Mason Cut". Dave has not been able to wring these props out enough to bring them to the general public because, for the second year in a row, our test lake is 27' above normal. We will run these props, eventually. The ES has, actually, been run and was/is, Tony Brucato's favorite prop; however, he has sold his 2003.

I run a "super pie plate", a one of prop made from offshore blades (no more available at this time) for fishin'. Last time I strung her out was just after I had the limiter raised to 8600 rpm. The prop is a strong 27P and she turned all the way up to the limiter. She felt good, but slipped a lot due to the "time trial" cup. Now she has a stronger cup and accelerates much better and still bangs off the limiter. I'd say this prop has good potential too.

Now's the hard part. Dave has had some physical problems that he's digging out from, finally. He may be doing props about the time the lakes drop (month or so).

If anyone is interested, we may have a day to run the prototypes in early October. A group of ABote, BBoat and SBoat folks are planning to come to Okieville. This mini-rally is still tentative but will be scheduled on BBC under the Bullet Boats section.

By the way, If you can find a Triton cut (big dog ear) hyperdrive, in 28 - 30P, it would be a good choice for your 2003's.

Hope this helps.

froggy

Brack

IMO only.....the hyperdrive's are best on the 03's (bigger blade area) and the triton's are a great wheels for the 02's......I will pass on the Mazco(for my 02)...They may be a great prop for a 03 tho......lol

fishnfireman

Great info Froggy, thanks. If you hear of the Hoss models being ran successfuly on the 21' A boats, pls share.

2008 BasSport Pro
2008 Merc 250xs/1.62
Same here
froggy has been trying to help me with this one,I just can't seem to get the time. he said Dave is sure wanting to get hold of it-- or one of em to play with. If all goes well I will be at the Okie run.. Might even come early and do some mtr swapping.
I know froggy has shared a theory of his with me..as to why these 21's are prone to have a stupid spot around 100 mph.. It has some to do with which type of prop it has..So far I am in 100% agrement with him.

NoviceDave

I'm a big fan of both the Hoss and Mazco props. I have a Hyperdrive that has been cut to a WASP blade with cup added. It is a very smooth and easy driving prop that accelerates very well. It is a smaller pitch (around a 25") so it is not a top end prop but does everything else well for my fishing conditions. I think a 3 or 4 blade Hyperdrive would be a very good fishing wheel on a 2003.

I bought a 28" RE4 from Mike Kelley to run as a cruising (to keep RPMs lower) fishing prop. I have not run it a lot but so far I really like it. It holds the water well and lifts well.

FLYING BUTCHER

Just to add to Froggy's info. Like everyone else I ran every prop I could get my hands on, both top end props and drag props. NOTHING I ever ran will compare with the Hoss prop period. Top end the 27 he made me is a screamer and his 22 drag prop was the best thing I ever ran. Would pay big bucks for someone to go to the bottom of Marine Creek and find it for me!! My 03 just loved his props and sure wish I had that 22 for my 02. Hope Dave's gets his health back we need more of his props out there for sure. my 2 cents

pickwickangler

I got a sweet lookin 27 hoss hyperdrive that I may be interested in tradin fer a 28 chopper if anybody is interested.

Fishforcash

I've got a 28 RE3 and a 28 Hyperdrive 4 and both are good wheels. I prefer the 4 blade Hoss because of its holeshot and amazing midrange punch. Its a sweet wheel.