Hydromotive first run

xb03

Mine's thick lol, but I will post some better numbers when theres no current or wind. It seemed to run better higher on the pad, so I'll raise it a bit more and see.

ROBERT CROSS

Just got a 26 Q4 OT from Todd that I'm looking forward to running this Season.

We got a 28 from him when we set the boat up back in 09.
A great running prop w/light load but we needed an everyday that would get closer to the limiter.

Sooper wheels, SOOPER guy!!! :at the bar

Bob

Attachments

TBuck2003

xb03,
As long as your happy that is all that matters. Glad it is working well for you. Be fast Be safe...

TBuck

catfish123

Hydromotive props quickly became and continue to be my favorite props. The performance, and back-up help from Todd are both second to none. I have only ever run Quad IV OT's in 26, 27, and 28 pitch. They are great running props on an XB2003 with my 225X up to the current 280.

TBuck2003

Thanks Bob it really does mean a lot to me !!!! I appreciate all the customers on this board. More importantly I am happy to call most of them personal friends, that is the best part !!!

TBuck

GotMyAlly

Matt's prop is still stock........He has run my 27 OT that is much thinner and tweaked for the combo he is running. It runs exactly the same mph and is into the limiter just like his. We were both surprised by this because his prop is much thicker than mine.
You mean he hasn't sent that computer off yet? :big grin Who needs a rev limiter anyway. :LMAO:

xb03

Whats the cheapest and easiest way the raise the rev limiter? How high can It be raised before you need upgraded fuel system?

catfish123

I don't know about cheapest and easiest but I had mine raised on my 225X by Eric Simon to 7300 with no problems. I very seldom ran it over 7000 rpm's anyway. I liked the ability to stick with lower pitched props and still be able to turn out a pretty good top end number.

Jay Martin

I can't help it but I have to post my 28 O/T slip numbers. 1.86 gears, 6400 rpm's 89.97 mph/gps= 5% This was a fresh 28 from Todd about 2 years ago, I have not found a prop that will match these numbers yet, but that does not mean I haven't been trying...

To answer the question about stock vs. lab (thickness), the lab will spool up quicker for better low's and midrange, you would think the lab would be faster in the case mentioned here but there could be something slightly off on the lab prop, if it was ever bumped just right it could have one blade off in pitch or rake, this would make the difference. The only way to know is have it measured.

Last edited:

Jay Martin

I don't know about cheapest and easiest but I had mine raised on my 225X by Eric Simon to 7300 with no problems. I very seldom ran it over 7000 rpm's anyway. I liked the ability to stick with lower pitched props and still be able to turn out a pretty good top end number.
Someone needs to figure out how to make a Yamaha computer work on a Merc, theres a jumper that all you have to do is cut it, from there it's wide open, NO limit.

xb03

Jay was your pad stock and how high was your prop shaft when you ran the OT?

Jay Martin

I was told it has about 30% left on the pad. Height was 1/4 above.
I'm glade I started reading this thread, especially the part about how the stern wants to get sideways, I did not know that.

GotMyAlly

To answer the question about stock vs. lab (thickness), the lab will spool up quicker for better low's and midrange, you would think the lab would be faster in the case mentioned here but there could be something slightly off on the lab prop, if it was ever bumped just right it could have one blade off in pitch or rake, this would make the difference. The only way to know is have it measured.
If he's hitting the rev limiter with both, the only way the labbed prop would be faster is if it is running with less slip. I bet without the rev limiter, the thinner one would pull at least a few more RPMs.

2003225X

I would like to get my limiter raised and flywheel done but I'm not convinced that it is worth $750 to do it.

It would be nice to have a 26 or 27 on and be able to turn it more rpms though.

catfish123

I agree with you Neal............how about that?...........I agree with someone in here!...........LOL

Jay Martin

If he's hitting the rev limiter with both, the only way the labbed prop would be faster is if it is running with less slip. I bet without the rev limiter, the thinner one would pull at least a few more RPMs.
Good catch, my question would be "How much past the limiter will the prop really go", one more than the other?

2003225X

Jay,

Not sure how you are coming up with 5% slip. 6400*28*.5347*.0009469= 90.73mph with 0% slip.

90.37*.95= 86.1mph with 5% slip.

Again, not trying to argue with anyone, and I know slip numbers are a reference, but numbers don't lie.

It is IMPOSSIBLE for these boats to run at 0% slip.

Nothing at all against what you said, but some guys on here must have real special water that they boat in or some big advantage that no one else has, because the speeds mentioned with a certain pitch prop, rpm, and gear ratio are not even in the ballpark.

Last edited:

catfish123

Oh Matthew........now you've gone and done it.........lol..........I'm sure it will be "add a pitch for cupping"........yada, yada, yada. The props do run great........no disputing that though! These numbers can be twisted anyway someone wants too.........I have never had ANY 28 pitch prop come anywhere close to 90 mph at 6400 rpm's and our set-up couldn't have been too bad running 97.1 mph with a 225X on an XB2003.

2003225X

They do run great. They are a great overall prop... but they are not 0% slip great.

At 0% slip and a 28ot on my boat into the limiter(which I can get it there easily) would be:

6850*28*.5347*.0009469= 97.1mph with 0% slip. And I can't run 97mph with a 28 pitch.