Interior Choices

ScottB

I am planning to put a new interior into the GS this winter. The factory will only consider making changes to the 'inserts' in the seats, and I would have to get these done with an outside vendor and ship the inserts to Allison to be built within the seats and sun pad. Another option is to use their current 'Y' design and go with some color options not offered my the company.

Not looking to do anything crazy, but wanted to get opinions on whether or not the different look would not sit well with the Allison purists. I know it is my boat and I will make the final decision, but one always thinks about resale value.

If I went with a new color, the seats would be white with the insert being silver carbon fiber and maybe some charcoal carbon fiber.

If I went with a new insert design, I would still go with the white base color, and the insert would be a mostly silver carbon fiber with a swoosh of charcoal and red.

Thoughts? The boat has a red stripes, black windshield and black wings.

catfish123

Personally, putting color choices aside, I would purchase all seat materials from an outside source. I believe some of the materials used by Allison in their seat coverings are substandard. There is a noticeable variation in material between the different colors they offer.

ScottB

I was actually very impressed with the condition of the vinyl which is 22 years old. There are no pulled seams and not a lot of fading. Only the driver's seat has two small cracks in one of the insert panels. However, Allison could have used a lot of suppliers for materials over the years, so this could account for variations between boats.

Jon

Supporting Member
They have used a lot of suppliers for materials over the years, simply because Allison has been around for a while... and some of the suppliers not so much. I was just at the factory a couple of weeks ago talking to Bill about this for some other parts I needed, and they have ran out of some parts and will just never get them again. With others, they've re-sourced to some other company. The same goes for the gelcoat... who knows which brand of gelcoat is on their boat? It depends boat by boat and year to year.

So basically you would have a custom insert made then have Allison sew on the remaining field material? If I understand you correctly, I would just have whoever is making your insert do the whole thing.

Concerning resale, it wouldn't bother me if it were not one of the 3 GS interiors. I would venture to guess that most people who buy a GS are new to Allison's anyway and probably wouldn't know any better :)

Either way, take pics and let us know how it turns out.

whipper

Ya theres some sick stuff out there for materials. Though my seats are good ive seen alot better in the custom realm. FineLine's work looks second to none!! i would love a redo by them!!

catfish123

The workmanship that Allison puts into the seats is great, some of the materials in them, not so much.

whipper

The workmanship that Allison puts into the seats is great, some of the materials in them, not so much.
True that! i always though they were just trying to save weight. Workmanship yes cant complain . Its nice to order what you need of your serial number. My front buckets are very comfortable. The sun pad could use more padding. Would love to set up a seating arrangement like an XR 02 with the side lay down seats one day if I ever finish my total center steer setup.

ScottB

Yeah, Fineline does great work. I wish they were closer to see what they could do.

LakeAnna

Scott I went back and forth with mine for a few months before I decided on colors. If you do get the color samples from Bill you could take them to a viynl shop and compare quality. I noticed the backing on certain colors and the thickness/texture was not as good as others and that kinda changed the final colors I went with.
One big improvement is the support foam that is in the two buckets compared to the old interior that was in mine. Either way you will spend a few coins and end up with a nice new interior.

Last edited:

ScottB

Bill sent me a stack of samples and you can tell they come from several sources. As Chris stated, some are thicker and others offer more stretch. It is a tough decision!

catfish123

Enduratex Windsong II is a great material................It is what I got, in three different colors, sent it to Allison, and they made my seats with it. I had seen in Allison boats, very similar colors and I didn't care for the "wrinkled, stretched" appearance of their materials with those certain colors.

Jon

Supporting Member
Hey Chris, thanks for posting those pics. You're boat now matches my boat :). I have my interior stripped out right now and I'm cleaning the fiberglass. I am likely going to replace the 2 main sections of carpet this year, and may do my interior in a couple of years.

Have you all found that the fiberglass (under the interior cushions) stays damp and gets crazy dirty? Mine is black in spots. Also, what do you find is best for just cleaning those spots? Sorry for the hijack, trying to stay on topic though.

pkstv

Really nice ! Now I know I want to order my interior from Bill . Thanks for posting your pictures ! Like the colors too .

LakeAnna

Got your pm and I will look and see what the colors are your going to have to get samples from him though. I will get it for ya later today.

Spray all the glass under the old stuff with scrubbing bubbles and some elbow grease later it will be like new.

I thinks its Auster Regal and something... ;)

Last edited:

flying07

Great thread guys! My interior is in great shape, but you notice on many that the light grey vinyl on certain panels gets a 'yellow' like tone to it. Is this just the vinyl aging or different vinyl maybe used, or would this clean up with something? If so, suggestions on how to clean? I'd love a red interior in mine. . . if only someday. . .

ScottB

Scott I went back and forth with mine for a few months before I decided on colors. If you do get the color samples from Bill you could take them to a viynl shop and compare quality. I noticed the backing on certain colors and the thickness/texture was not as good as others and that kinda changed the final colors I went with.
One big improvement is the support foam that is in the two buckets compared to the old interior that was in mine. Either way you will spend a few coins and end up with a nice new interior.

Chris- do you recall if the red you selected is Regal Red or Chinese Red? The regal is a bit darker.

Jr in Jax

I have changed the interior on mine three times due to massive use and constant exposure to sun lotion. The last set I had made, I had Allison add another 1 1-2" of foam to the front seats which made them much more comfortable. The newest factory boat covers from Allison are much better than the last two I got from them.