Intracostal use or brackish water

Tbowersox

Hi im new to this forum I'm looking hard at a xb 21 but I I'm in Jacksonville know and will be for a while so I want to know how it will hold up in brackish water as it's every where up here and I would love to use as a red fish boat every now and then I hear that one big problem is wiring corrosion and ect just wondering what type of wiring they use and any advice would help thanks

Tbowersox

Good question. I've wondered that myself. But my worry was more about the trailer than the boat itself.
Ya I know the trailer is gonna rust out but I hear if you get anl galvinized trailer and keep it washed and waxed it will be fine but the salt always wins in the end I hear that saltwater boats use copper wire with special coating or something just not sure what

resqu-u

I fish brackish water all year. I hated to do it but I traded the beautiful tandem boatmate for a single axel aluminum I-beam trailer. I keep my motor clean and sprayed with CRC corrosion inhibitor. Of course flush the engine on the hose after every trip. I have not had any electrical problems from either of my Allison's. I believe like anything else preventative maintenance is the key. Keep it clean and it will last forever.

90 5.0

In brackish and salt all the time, corrosx spray and clean and flush.

Alumninum or galvanized trailer helps though.

wasmeneh

Had a boatmate under my Triton 200XP, lasted about six years corroded all the way up where the trailer jack was attached. Fish the rivers around coastal NC.

Jr in Jax

I live in Jax and boat into brackish/salt water here weekly. I have an aluminum trailer and always try to launch in a freshwater ramp, even though it means a longer trip to where I am going. The return trip through the freshwater creek is the ultimate flush. The only big problem I have had is that I am on my fourth or fifth driveshaft on my 15" midsection due to they corrode faster than the Gov spends money. I have even gone to speedy-sleeves to extend their life. Using cleaning vinegar is actually better than Salt Away and a fraction of the price. I keep my powerhead and electric systems coated with the gooey CRC Heavy Duty Corrosion Spray and never have any corrosion problems even with my 15" mid dunking my engine every time I come off plane. When I replace any of my wiring, I do try to use the marine copper/tinned conductor marine cable which seems to last forever.

Let us know if you want to meet up with the other 4-5 Allisons here in Jax.

Tbowersox

I live in Jax and boat into brackish/salt water here weekly. I have an aluminum trailer and always try to launch in a freshwater ramp, even though it means a longer trip to where I am going. The return trip through the freshwater creek is the ultimate flush. The only big problem I have had is that I am on my fourth or fifth driveshaft on my 15" midsection due to they corrode faster than the Gov spends money. I have even gone to speedy-sleeves to extend their life. Using cleaning vinegar is actually better than Salt Away and a fraction of the price. I keep my powerhead and electric systems coated with the gooey CRC Heavy Duty Corrosion Spray and never have any corrosion problems even with my 15" mid dunking my engine every time I come off plane. When I replace any of my wiring, I do try to use the marine copper/tinned conductor marine cable which seems to last forever.

Thanks for the info brother and yes I would love to hook up some time I still haven't been in a xb21 yet but think I'm gonna love it when I do my granddad has a xtb21 that we still use today so anytime you are ready just give me a shout 615 569 7084 I grew up an Allison lover and it's the only bass boat !!!