I've quit smoking....why?

ROBERT CROSS

It's embarrassing....the 225xPM lays down a smoke screen when first started or slow cruise @ 1000rpm.
I'm talk'n a LOT of smoke!!! It won't stop until the first holeshot. Performance above idle is great.

I've spent many hours trying the trace the cause without success.

My first mate noticed awhile back that when I start the motor at full tilt the normal blue puff appears but stops shortly after the pisser starts.
No more curious stares at the launch ramp, and we can idle away without leaving a vapor trail.

So...I've got a solution, but still no cause.

Anyone else experience the same?

GotMyAlly

1000 RPM isn't a slow cruise, that's boggin'. LOL.

It's a 2-stroke, it's going to smoke a little. My 225X did it worse if I idled a lot, and even moreso if I idled with it trimmed down submerging the exhaust hole on the back of the midsection. Trimming it to level helped.

Have you changed oil brands lately? Some oils make a better skeeter fogger than others.

ROBERT CROSS

GMA,
The exhaust port makes the most sense, Penz & Amsoil are the only brands I use and it's the same with both. It may be that when we were launching at our community ramp we didn't notice it because of the shallow rocky bottom, I always idled out with the motor way up. After whacking two wheels we changed launch sites and the smoke screen started.

Jr in Jax

I recently read where there were many of the early SeeDoos that injected no oil at idle due to the engineers found that little/none was leaving the engine at idling. With Premix the oil builds up [logging] inside the engine and then dumps when you speed up. When I was Go-Kart racing [Unlimited 2-strokes on Methanol/Nitrobenzene/Castor] I would pinch the fuel line when I thought we were going to get the green start flag to make sure my engine was not logged with oil when I went WOT.

I too have just given in to removing my oil injection since I found that the oil gear bushing could not stand up to the high RPMs I seem to always run [6K+].

Reactions: Jon