Just when I thought my motor issues were kaput...

Ocktane

So I took the boat out to Pickwick today with Morgan. Finally thought my motor issues were gone (looks like the firing issue on #5 was in the harness ) Anyhoo, break in over ready to run it up some. Was cruising down the lake doing about 52mph, ~52k rpm, fairly neutral trim and the motor quit, just quit like I had pulled the killswitch. Checked the killswitch (cycled it a few times just in case) and tried multiple times to crank the motor with no success. Starter does it's thing, turns the motor over, but no fire. And I checked the little fuel pressure port and I sprayed myself with gas while my wife turned the key on so I'm definitely getting fuel pressure. Any idea why my damn motor won't crank? I'm about to turn this promax into deepwater structure at the bottom of the lake... I've about had it. This motor has a new stator, new switchboxes, some new coils, injectors all checked for proper spray... what the crap!!! No it just decided to worky no more! Blah... ok... done venting...

As you can see I had to push some rope to get back in. Thanks again Mike!

xb03

Mine did the same thing about 6 weeks ago, later found that both switch boxes went out due to bad voltage regs. Voltage regs tested good prior to incident. I'm not saying this is your problem though.

bassracr

Hang in there man , sometimes you are a little simple fix away from years of trouble free operation .

njj502

If you were spinning it 52K RPM I think that's the issue.... Find broken crankshaft.... ;)

Sorry to hear of your troubles... check ECM harness.

Ocktane

So it was a bad switchbox, one of the new ones put on the motor last month! Had to watch him test it to believe it! Damndest thing... Thanks for the advice everyone!!

xb03

Check your voltage regulators!! They will burn up a switch box or two in a hurry.

Ocktane

Update on my troublesome promax: Warranty covered two brand new switchboxes. New injector in #5. Ran it a little while today. Starting to show a burn on #5 and after running the RPM up past 5K several times it wasn't washing it clean like it was before. Piston still looks brand new when I shine a light thru the plug hole but it may just take some time. I dunno, I'm scared to run it (worried its gonna leave me stranded) but I need to just keep running it and see how it does. Sounds damn good though and feels good too. It wants to run its arse off, thats for sure!

Ocktane

So the motor is back in the shop getting the fine tooth comb before Clifton. After about 2 hrs of runtime since a new injector went in #5 the spark plug is still not showing improvement. It was showing brown for a little while so I started runnin the RPMs up for longer runs down the lake and now shes showing shiny white porcelain again... and the piston looks brand new. GRRRR! I really really hope we can find this gremlin before Clifton. May have to change my plans a bit if there ain't a boat for me to bring. This sucks. I regret ever putting any money into my lemon of a motor...

New stator, new switchboxes, new coil, new plug, checked for fire at idle, tried different plug wires, new injector... what else?

GotMyAlly

Didn't you hit a floating log at pickwick recently? :cool I think you better call your insurance agent...........