LED replacement bulbs for navigation lights

silverbullet02

Super Moderator
Staff member
Been thinking about putting LED replacement bulbs in my bow and stern lights. Anybody have any experience with them or any brands specifically? I've had some leds in my camper and really liked how little current they drew.

allimax

Did you pull he bulbs and establish the bulb part numbers yet? I've been wanting to do mine but was thinking of replacing the whole housings and all just so I know the light will be thrown as far as it should be. Good idea especially if you night fish.

Mrbuck50

Call Bill at Allison and buy the updated LED bow light for the new boats. Fits just like the old one. May have stern light in LED too.... I didn't ask

allimax

image.jpeg Just an update for those wanting to go LED on the nav lights. The front bulb is a #90 and the rear is a #1004 standard 12v automotive bulbs. Both bulbs use the same base and are interchangeable. The glass and filiment on the rear bulb is taller so the light is higher up from the base if that makes sense. I found some replacements at superbrightleds.com made to replace what's in there. So far so good, they defenantly seem bright enough. The real reason for switching over to me is less current draw to save battery. If I can remimber I'll bring an inductive low amp probe home and measure what the difference is and report back later. Here's a pick so you guys can see one option.

Last edited:

allimax

Just on the follow up the front bulb #90 consumes .5 amps, the new LED only used .06 amps, big difference there. The rear #1004 used .94 or almost one amp. The LED version only uses .2 amps.

Jr in Jax

Is there a polarity to the LED bulbs, do I have to reverse them if they don't light?

allimax

Good question because typically there is a polarity with LED bulbs. Most automotive 12v bulbs use the metal shell as the ground and have either one or two contacts on the bottom depending on if they have one or two filaments inside the bulb. Both of these bulbs have two contacts on the bottom but are only single filiment. One is for hot and one for ground, the metal jacket is not tied to anything. Doesn't matter which way it goes in on the stock bulb and in the case of the bulbs I bought, didn't matter either.