Lifeline #160???

xb03

Are the lifeline starters #160's good for a 100 mph water impact, or do I need a #170?

SLOmofo

170 Special heavy duty Impact Foam
with built-in 'Flak' impact material
in front, sides and back

Heavy Duty Impact Foam
front, sides and back.

With zipper pocket (stock only).

I bought the 170 because when I go through the side of the boat there might be only one piece to pick up. Hopefully bruised, not broken.

The flak material is stiff, doesn't bend much, but I got used to it and feel undressed without it now.

The jackets my wife and I use in the Champion have leg straps. They came in handy one time when she was thrown out at about 60. Those straps kept the jacket on her when I grabbed the jacket to pull her back aboard.
Leg straps keep the jacket in place on the body, without, I always had a vision of going into the water feet first with arms extended. Jacket travels up the body stops holding the arms extended above the head. Trapping the arms.

No jacket works if it isn't worn.
I keep two in the Allison, the Life Line is on and the other is for Coast Guard inspection. Life Line isn't Coast Guard approved.

Last edited:

allison8503

Everybody we race with run the 160's. They are smaller and alot less bulky. Unfortunatly one of my good friends and fellow racers got to put his to the test while testing for our last race. He commented on how well the jacket floated him. He was so impressed by it he called Lifeline and thanked them for making such a good product. I think either of them will work great.

ssv1761982

Super Moderator
Staff member
I guess if it ain't comfortable you won't wear it all the time. I should start looking for one too.

xb03

Maybe we can make a large order and save some money :big grin

M.ALEXIE

You can not Race with the 160 in DSRA. It is not a certified jacket. The 170 is the way to go.

LakeAnna

You can not Race with the 160 in DSRA. It is not a certified jacket. The 170 is the way to go.
I just spoke to Kent at Lifeline yesterday and the comp vest is what you need if your running an Allison. One saved my butt about 10 years ago... 510.00 is nothing... we spend way more than that on props.

Morespeed4me

I had a newer 160 and a newer 170 the newer 170s are not bulky at all, about the same size as the 160. They are a little stiffer because of the impact material, my jacket of choice is the newer 170. Sold my 160 and wear a mercury jacket that has leg straps when fishing, when trying to run big numbers I wear my 170. I feel with the money we spend on these rigs our family deserves the best protection we can afford!

champ198

Are the lifeline starters #160's good for a 100 mph water impact, or do I need a #170?
I have a 160 but I'd recommend at least a 170 for a water boiling 100mph. Nothing wrong with a 160, and I love mine, but it is a starter jacket like you mention and my boat is alot slower. (I got mine to use at Clifton since that is the only place I ever let her eat and stretch its legs)

Call Kent at Lifeline and see what he has available that may be unsold or leftover. Sometimes you can get a deal if color doesn't matter and he has a size that would work. You need to provide your chest and gut measurements to Kent for him to see if he has anything available otherwise you may have to order one. They are quality vests for sure.

suicidealli

Am i the only guy that has a SRP jacket? Lol I think it is more comfortable... Comes stock with the tail bone protector, but you can have them leave it out. I have it in mine.

Main thing is wear it if your going to get on it....

Roy

LakeAnna

I just ordered a new 170 jacket grey with black collar and silver piping. 479! and should be here next week. From what I understand talking to Kent the new jackets are a lot less bulky.
My first one was really thick and not super comfortable.

Small price to be safe!

LakeAnna

I got the jacket last week and it is really nice compared to the old school fat one... I had a pic but my phone is trashed.

No money you could spend EVER would be this good. I say that knowing that it will work cause I been tossed before. Priceless, as they say you know..

xb03

I bought a #160 and it is very comfortable and well made, I'm very happy with it. Found out after I had bought mine that Lifeline gives a snf discount. Mine was just over $300 to my door.

2003225X

I bought the 170 comp jacket and I think it fits very well. Kent is a great guy to work with and will get anyone taken care of.

The jackets to cost some money, but if you take a step back and look at how much we spend for other things, it makes a lot of sense to wear a good quality vest. I would highly recommend the 170 jacket.