looking for answers on fueling up

smiley88

Guys I have an allison Grand Sport an my brother has an xtb , when we are fueling up at the fuel pumps it is almost back breaking trying to keep the gas nozzle in our gas tank without letting it over spill or with the sensor turning the gas pump off.its almost a 30 minute process putting in 25-30 gallons that slow...how does everybody else do it are there some stuff online that we can order and if so can you guys send me a link that makes this a little bit easier that attaches to the fuel pump or like an oversized funnel or what? Thanks guys for help....

smiley88

Yes pumps are sensitive I tried radiator hose but it covers the sensor and doesn't pump...also no there is no bend in it ..it looks straight down ...maybe our pumps out here pump too fast....it's a hassle though man thanks guys for help...

Jon

Supporting Member
I fill up my GS wide open, nozzle in as far as it goes. I normally watch the tank and you can fill it until about 2" from the top before the pump/nozzle kicks out. Never had an issue though.

whipper

Ya all good hear also sumten isnt right with the pump try some were else and see if its the same? i dont go full on but pretty close. i always thing i get a better deal if I slow it down a bit so there's less bubbles and more fuel. Just me. haha:rolleyes:

JoeR

Probationary User
I had the same issue with my XB03 and found that the one way valve with the venting system was causing this. I unscrew the plastic valve during fueling and problem solved.

JoeR

Probationary User
Mine has a half inch black cap at the back of the boat to the left of the gas cap that has a one way valve built into it. I just unscrew it a few turns to allow the air to flow but tighten back up after fueling to prevent water from entering the fuel tank.

wasmeneh

Thanks Joe I'll try it on my neat fill up. I recall some old posts on the subject where people were canfering (sp) the inside lip of the plastic fill tube going in the tank for the same issue.

GotMyAlly

On one of mine, I found it to fill much faster if I inverted the pump nozzle upside down. Not sure why, but it sure seemed to fill faster.

Jr in Jax

You could have the issue that I have suffered from a couple of times with my tank shifting and the fill hose bending just under the cap fitting. You can still see into the tank but the offset caused a slow fill.

smiley88

I will look into it and see thank you all guys..thought there would be easier way to fill up...

smiley88

Please let me know what you come up with sledman..it gets old and back breaking pumping so slow

sledman8002002

I looked it over this morning smiley, put a bend a light down the filler neck, no obstacles, pretty much straight down but for a slight cant towards the rear. If anything, they should pump fine standing at the rear (boat on the trailer, me on the ground), but it didn't for me. No matter if the nozzle was all the way in or anywhere in between. Swivel the nozzle 180 degrees, (just as GotMyAlly replied), all the way in and whalla. Could pump as fast as I wanted.
It's should prove interesting to see how it takes fuel with 5 gallon cans and a funnel while I'm standing on the back of the boat when it's in the water. I may do a test on that this week while in the driveway here at home.

smiley88

Interesting. .that's usually how I have to pump at the 180 degree angle you are saying because I pump while standing in the boat but can still only pump slow therfore making that backbreaking .I'll have to check it out again this morning when I get fuel thank you sir for your time.....

ROBERT CROSS

On one of mine, I found it to fill much faster if I inverted the pump nozzle upside down. Not sure why, but it sure seemed to fill faster.
Me too....before the station I use got e-free 91 most the hi-test nozzles did the same thing. Had to insert the handle with the outlet facing the bow.
Never noticed a vent though, is it on the tank?

Bob

allimax

I had the same problem on mine but learned this from XB03 a few years back. First let me say before I modified the fill neck on the plastic tank that turning the gas nozzle upside down works pretty good, just looks like you should be driving some other brand of boat. XB03 did this by pulling the fuel gauge sender out and having a friend hold a plastic cup inside the tank to catch the plastic shavings. I was pulling the tank anyway to re-do plumbing, wiring etc. and because I'm anal and can't help myself. The idea is to taper the inside of the fill neck so you have a smooth transition from the rubber hose to the fuel tank neck. It works like a charm, fixed the problem. Keep in mind you don't want an electric motor turning the carbide cutter bit but an air grinder is pretty safe. My tank was out and empty so no gas fume explosion problem there.