Merc 2.5 head gaskets - Re-used-??

SLOmofo

Have I done it before, yes. Would I recommend it, no!
On some head gaskets there is a film of sealant that activates with the heat of the engine. When I did it I used a product called Copper Coat.
http://www.amazon.com/CRC-401612-Copper-Gasket-Compound/dp/B000M8NZ8E.
I was pulling the heads to look at the fuel wash across the pistons. Once I was done I installed a new set of head gaskets.

whipper

Ive done it once with no issues. Wouldn't do it twice.Be very very carful. Any sign of a tear or anything replace. Garys info is good advice.

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
I would make sure the fire ring isnt cracked around the inside where it had been tightened down. But, dont recommend it.

njj502

I would not on a head gasket. Water pumps, sure.... you are flirting with disaster on the head gasket especially if you get water in the cylinders..... If it had not been run I'd reuse.

silverbullet02

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've done it 2 or 3 couple times. Never had a problem, maybe I was lucky. They were very low hour gaskets and looked good though.

suicidealli

No way would I use a gasket over with a different head!!!!!!!! I have reused gaskets on my personal motors if they are going to be changed often, or just for a couple pass's. I use to torq them 2 extra lbs. BUT for a lake motor just get new gaskets!!!!!!! If they start leaking water, and you score a cylinder or worse destroy a piston over 60 bucks you will b kicking yourself.
I have a bunch of gaskets here, and so do a lot of other guys...get new ones....

Roy

SLOmofo

No way would I use a gasket over with a different head!!!!!!!! I have reused gaskets on my personal motors if they are going to be changed often, or just for a couple pass's. I use to torq them 2 extra lbs. BUT for a lake motor just get new gaskets!!!!!!! If they start leaking water, and you score a cylinder or worse destroy a piston over 60 bucks you will b kicking yourself.
I have a bunch of gaskets here, and so do a lot of other guys...get new ones....

Roy
2nd this! Test purposes only, once testing is over new gaskets! Never with different heads, period!

OK. I did this once. Was going to Clear lake to fish a end of year tournament. We left a couple of days early and fished at the Delta, sort of the same , ones a tidally influenced cesspool and the other is a dammed cesspool. Both have weeds, we don't have no stinking weeds where we fish.
We went out and fished half the day. Stopped and got gas at a marina then drove a few miles felt it start to lock up, backed out and seized the engine. Let it cool down then fired it back up, didn't sound even but we were miles away from the trailer. So we idled in gear for a while and then put it on plane. We made it back to the trailer and I pulled the heads off, yep had stuck one but it didn't look toooo bad, next day looked around for some head gaskets but ended up getting some Copper Seal and reused those gaskets, then drove to Clear lake and fished the 2 day tournament. On blast off we were cruising along in our Champion when a Stranger in a Ranger tried to pass us. He didn't, we made it to our spot first.
When we got home I popped that piston out, acid etched, honed the sleeve and slipped a new piston in and put NEW head gaskets on.
Don't do as I do, do as I say!

Well, maybe more then once. LOL