Merc 4 blade PRO ET

It's a Mercury Promax. I am sure of the motor height. Chine walking has not been a issue. I got the boat from a small dealer that took the boat in on a trade, so I never talked to the previous owner.

fishnfireman

Ok---Since it is a promax, it is capable of turning 6500 rpm. (If the rpm gauge is correct) and we will assume that it is.
With a 26 pitch prop,, even the one you have, it should be running at LEAST 10 mph faster at that rpm.
If it is turning 6500 and it has good power on the bottom end. We will assume there is nothing wrong with the mtr.....I still think it is pushing way to much water. Since it is not chinewalking yet.
So the next question is how high have you trimmed the motor..

280ALLY

he is running on 3 cylinders or isn't trimmed up but about 1/2 way. that is a near 90 mph boat for sure

fishnfireman

If the motor is sound--and from what you are saying it is.
You say it has plenty of power coming out of the hole..and it is turning 6500 rpm...that does not sound like a motor that is hurt or just running on 3 jugs.

The only other things that come to mind are.
The prop is a total POS or is not a 26 pitch and more like a 21.
Or you still need to trim the boat and get the hull free..

When you are running flat out---where does the spray come off of the side of the boat?...is it more towards the front ? is it about where you sit ? or is more towards the rear of the boat ?

Is the motor throwing a roostertail at all when you have it running as fast as it will go ?

froggy

Weatherguy,

Answer to your initial question about the Laser prop. This prop may be one of, if not the worst, prop Mercury ever produced. So try one of the earlier recommended ones and let us know.

Also, as your first boat, ever, I find it very hard to believe that you or your buddy can really drive the ABotet efficiently. The XB2002 is an easy ABote to drive, but that's relative. Maybe you just need some more seat time.

froggy

I think I got it figured out. I was out in it this morning for my first solo trip.

It's a combination of my fat a$$ and my buddy's fat a$$ and a mediocre prop.

Solo I could run 60 @ rpm's I can live with, but over that, I need more seat time and or move some stuff around so there is not so much weight (ME) on one side of the boat.

Thanks for everyones help, I can't said it enough

willie

which motor do you have on your xb02? nevermind, im the idiot.

Last edited:

whipper

Weatherability use the search and look up chine walk. There are some pretty good threads about that hear.You are not trimming her out enough when she needs to be free'ed up at 60. Balancing the hull would be first priority as you said. The 25lb led shot bags work great for this in the gunnels. I use 2 of them to offset my weight Im 230 in my GS. Look up balanceing your hull also but in the Chine threads it will be discused also. After reading these you will have a better understanding of what was said on this thread. At 60-65 is were you will need to practise bumping up the trim a couple of times while still on the gas. When or if she gets squirly back of to 55 and try it again and again untill you can drive her straight at 70. Your counter steering the hulls side to side motion {chinewalk} to stop her from doing this. It will take a few weeks of practice. Do this alone because you will freak out a passanger while learning this!:laughing Be safe and dont go over 70 out of of control. Just let of and try again. Sooner or later youll have it and be going 90 and wonder what the trouble was. If you come across a nother Allison owner on the lake that can drive his boat fast ask him to go out in your boat with you to show you a thing or two. thats the best thing to do. Later James