Merc Trim Pump Frustration

Kerry Cordy

The pump runs both up and down. It's a new install for my 280. I have the shop Manual. It says to fill it, leave the dip stick out and run it. The hoses are empty because they are new. I disconnected the up hose at the bottom of the ram, no trim fluid comes out. The pump simply is full but does not move the oil out of the resevoir. It runs but does not pump?? The pump came out of the boat I bought the 280 off. When you drain the pump and set it on the bench and roll it around does this cause a problem inside??? Ready first my first ride in my 2003/280. I thought this was going to be the easy part of the rigging. Thanks for your help,
Allen Cordy in Northern California.

M.ALEXIE

Normally hook it all up and run it up and down till all air is out the lines.

suicidealli

sometimes it takes a while.. go up & down then it will start to move up, and stop. when it stops go back down. repeat til it goes all the way up, and down and no air bubbles screamin through it.

roy

BGohr

The gerotor in the pump is air bound, as well the lines are empty so it sometimes is a my mom, easy way to help bleed it is to take the lines off the pump, stick them in a quart of fluid, and lift the motor up and down, it will pump most of the air out, the problem is, once you get the pump airbound, it cannot pump air, sometimes you just go back to it in the morning and it starts working

K.Kiser

I have nothing good to say about these trim pumps, just fluid frothing bastards that never seem to reach 100% it seems... I've not met one that I liked yet...

white03

seems I heard that after connecting the lines at the pump motor end and running them to the mid, but before connecting to the actuator on the mid, to fill the lines by poring fluid in them then connect to the acuator. Or maybe I'm thinking of something else? anyone ever heard of this or is it just me