Mercury 175 Pro XS with sportmaster

spenccj1

Ive noticed a couple threads talking about these newer engines and I thought I would post the results of adding the sportmaster. My grand sport would run consistently around 78 stock with the 175 Pro XS. I just picked it up from Glenn Reynolds this week with a new sportmaster and a 30ET. Glenn tinkered with the setup for a couple days and his quote was "it takes a lot to impress me but I was shocked with how well this setup worked". I haven't been able to run the boat yet but Glenn got 84/85 with the 30ET and said the motor was strong with good mid range punch. He said the L/U seemed to wake up the motor. He was able to get a few more MPH out of a 32 but hole shot and midrange was not as great. I'm thrilled with the results as was Glenn and he's in the process of getting a new GS built and is going to install this same setup. I'm looking forward to getting it on the water and seeing how it handles now that the L/U isn't buried. I'm also interested in other props to try if anyone has any suggestions. This motor is a great choice if your not looking for super top end and gets unbelievable fuel mileage.

wc911

Looks good , can't wait to see yall at the river. Be nice to ride around and carry on a conversation. We will have to go for a ride!!!!:big grin

spenccj1

I can't wait. Sure wish the weather would have been nice this weekend and we could have tried it. Had a good weekend anyway, the ride home last night was interesting for sure wc911!!!

RedAllison

The 175XS knocks VERY hard on 200 propshaft hp and who knows, it may be rated like they used to "xyz" at "123" rpm. But they never said anything about turning it "456" rpm and getting MORE hp! :wink

As for the Sportmaster gearcase, THE most ill handling A-boats are those running standard gearcases. They just DON'T like all that drag and having the rear end glued down. Mileage wise, that XS should ROCK on the family truckster GS hull. Mercury has the XS motors perfected and they are AWESOME motors. I'm regularly astounded at the economy of my 3.0XS on my 21, I can only imagine how much less fuel and oil that 2.5 uses on a 20ftr! :cuss

20ft production weight lake boat, 175 DFI motor and it'll run mid 80s without much test and tune? As we say, "ONLY in a A-boat!!!" :cool :beer:
RA

xb03fs

any updates? How does it do with a load

Last edited:

meanmusky

spenccj1 do you remember your prop shaft height with the stock lower unit ? It's going to be a while before I can run the sporty and am trying to get the most I can stock for now. Your speeds before and after are impressive.

spenccj1

I never checked the height prior to adding the sporty. I had the little brackets over the water inlets on the stock gearcase to help it pickup water and I would just raise it until the pressure started to drop then lower it a bit on the HYD jack plate. Right now I'm running a new hydromotive quad ot 26 and getting about 78-79mph. The 30et runs good with a light load but isn't as great with 4 people,coolers,chairs,floats,etc. still runs great with a light load but I've never duplicated what Glenn Reynolds ran it. He got about 84, I'm doing good to bust 80 but he is a professional driver and I am not. Still learning here. Definitely is faster and drives so much better with a sporty.

mxzx

Any update on how your Grandsport is running with the 175 Pro XS? Have you pulled any wakeboarders or skiers with it? I am thinking of replacing the 225Promax on my GS with a newer motor and the 175 Pro XS looks real interesting.