need some driving tips 2002

suicidealli

second trip out with the 2002. man it likes to run flat compared to the ss. my titus case is better on this 02 as well. i had one of my 24 drag props on and went 104 with brenda in the boat. i still have a lot of tweaking to do, but this thing is really going to run. it is easier to drive than the ss, and i believe itis going to run bigger numbers. i hope to be well into the teens with it.

after the boat noses over right at a 100 i didnt give it anymore trim just more throttle. are you guys back on the trim button after it drops the nose??????
i always did it with my ss, but wasnt going to do it with a pasenger, second trip out.
thanks,
roy

suicidealli

come on guys. i know you guys are runnung faster than this... are you back on the trim button????? how is it backing out at those speeds, if it trimmed up higher???
come on guys i dont want to bat turn in this thing.... might go for a swim..

roy

Darth VMAX

come on guys. i know you guys are runnung faster than this... are you back on the trim button????? how is it backing out at those speeds, if it trimmed up higher???
come on guys i dont want to bat turn in this thing.... might go for a swim..

roy

I run a twin prop Yammie.... I don't run near those speeds and I get a ton of stern lift from the counter-rotating props. I have not "turned" it yet, but my set-up is so unique I don't hink I am of much help. Backing out is always a gradual process.

patches

Bump it till it spins Roy and next time go two bumps less. Lol

I'd bump it one time after the nose lays down but I've never driven an XB2002 that fast. Even my XR only goes about 75:)

suicidealli

Whats your setback, prop, and load...?
9" setback about 1/2" over the pad. a awesome worked hausman 24p yammi drag. 1.75 gears. i was loaded heavy. achor, tool box, cooler, brenda in the back drag powerhead, 8500 rpms. it 3 or 400 rpms left at that trim angle.
104 mph. fast as i was willing to take it with her in the boat.. felt great!!!! on a rail, but neutral trim angle..

roy

Last edited:

suicidealli

Bump it till it spins Roy and next time go two bumps less. Lol

I'd bump it one time after the nose lays down but I've never driven an XB2002 that fast. Even my XR only goes about 75:)
my a$$ eric on the 75..lol
i have only driven a 2002 3 times... kinda scarrrredddd of the bat turn.... the ss or the drag my butt is staying in the boat... this 2002 im not sure, i may end up wet........
i guess i will have to push it til it pushes back some. i know it will take a bump or 2. do they really like to ride on the tale, or more level???

thanks guys,
roy

AllisonboatsMS

At right about 100 my 2002 rode as flat but I had almost 0 lip left on the back. I know that makes a differnece but Im not sure how much.

Brack

Roy...I'm not sure,most of the time I have my eyes closed......LOL

get a feel for the boat Roy,...without it loaded

Bobalouie

I havent been over a 100 yet Roy, but at 95-96 mine is running pretty flat. It doesnt seem to fly the bow at all. I have an unmodified pad on mine. I was running about 1/8th above, on a 7" plate at the time, so you are quite a bit higher and further back than I was, but I was not getting the bow lift I needed with my 300lb butt and a troller on the front, so this may not be the best example to go by.

With the above setup, I would bump the trim until it REALLY flew the bow. With that one last bump, I could really feel the bow come up A LOT more than it did on previous bumps. Once it flew a little, a small bump down gave her the set she needed and then I could really put the hammer down.

I am now set at even with the pad on a 10" plate and havent had a chance to run it setup this way.

Luketrician

Hey bob..

I can relate and agree to what you are saying also.

I just got a xb2002 and it seems that when I trim to fly the bow..it does get really wild, but a bump down on the trim to get the nose down to almost level and the boat just feels locked in and safer..

Got home and re verified the angle and it is almost zero trim..maybe very little positive trim.

Bobalouie

Luke,

I am always confused when people say neutral trim. The reason is that if you level your pad with the boat on the trailer, and then level the engine propshaft and mark your gage as that being neutral, you are actually way negative when the boat is on plane and running at the 5-6 degree bow up attitude. On my setup, if I trim to that mark and try to run it, the boat is running way wet and will only run about 80mph. On my gage, that neutral point is a little over 6. To get the propshaft parrallel with the direction of travel on my rig when up on pad and running, I have to trim out to about 8.25 on my gage.

I verified this in my garage by jacking the front of the boat way up until my digital angle finder said that the pad of the boat was at a 5 deg up attitude, then trimmed the engine to make the propshaft parallel to the shop floor, and it was right around 8.25 on the gage.

I just thought I would throw that out there.

Also, if you want to do an interesting experiment, go out and run about 50mph and start bumping the trim up. On my rig, about 4 bumps before the prop blows out, the rear end of the boat starts sliding around like a rear drive car when driving on ice. It doesnt chine walk, you can feel it moving around laterally. I learned this while trying to figure out how high I could safely trim on my gage. Which was way off the scale by the way.

racerx

Trim wasnt the problem when the boat tossed my *** out at 94,it was the choppin the throttle to make a sudden slow down for a nasty wake,dont like the motor higher then the pad,rather run safe for when choppin the throttle to get ya out of trouble from wakes ect,be safe Roy,i like to fly them a little high,just feels good....

K.Kiser

9" setback about 1/2" over the pad. a awesome worked hausman 24p yammi drag. 1.75 gears. i was loaded heavy. achor, tool box, cooler, brenda in the back drag powerhead, 8500 rpms. it 3 or 400 rpms left at that trim angle.
104 mph. fast as i was willing to take it with her in the boat.. felt great!!!! on a rail, but neutral trim angle..

roy
I ain't the authority on anything, but 1/2" up with a Yammi drag for top-end runs is a little high for my taste... The 1/2" up will work fine with round ear chopper style props, but I'd be a little leary of a drag wheel that high once the boat quit pulling and the acceleration slacks off... Again, I could be wrong...

Myron

I never ran a 280 on 2002, I only had a 225 promax ss, but it ran best even to about 1/4 below. Check with Hotprop, there was a 2002 with a 280 he setup years ago that ran in the teens, if I remember it was even or just below.

suicidealli

i like to fly them high!!!!!!!!!!!!!
it is really high on the pad for sure... allison run very well that high, but letting out of them is a different story...
with a yammi pulling you r right no problem, letting out might get me.. that is why i was easy on the trim button.. if i was running 90 i would just let it eat to she got out of shape.... just not sure over a 100.. it is running incredible where it is... im gonna leave it there, and play with the trim after in noses over at a 100 see what it does... go from there.. i know from past exp running even or below just kills your speed!!!!!!! i want the teens so i guess i better put the helmut, and the srp on, and let this biotch eat!!!!!!!!
i wonder how i got the name suicidealli...LOL

roy

john4utvols

Better to take your time. Start about 1/4 below and work your way up. We can work on that at the rally, when we got plenty of boats around and some clean running water..................

allison8503

When it noses over at 100 give it a bump. It's not going to pick the nose up and fly it at that point. It will pick the whole boat up. I would always look at the tach and the gps when doing this to see if when I would bump the trim if the mph would go up with the RPM'S. And when it running flat but high and wanting to barley drop the nose to right it's just about perfect!

suicidealli

When it noses over at 100 give it a bump. It's not going to pick the nose up and fly it at that point. It will pick the whole boat up. I would always look at the tach and the gps when doing this to see if when I would bump the trim if the mph would go up with the RPM'S. And when it running flat but high and wanting to barley drop the nose to right it's just about perfect!

ok thanks. i went out sat, but it was windy, and to many boats to do anything. i also found out my live well had about 12" of water in it. i had the valve closed, but it must have leaked past it. i drained it when i was getting gas. maybe the extra weight, and passenger is why i got by with the 1/2" running so well. i know i cant trim it very high it will try and blow out. i was runnng around 85 playing with the trim, and it was trying to get sideways. i really like this hull tho. very forgiving, and runs.. i think it is just as quick as the ss, and no doubt it is going to run bigger numbers.

roy