New Mercury 3.4-liter, V-6, 4-stroke outboard engine on a new Allison XB-21 xst???

BigRWater

The statement contained in the article in the link below, “Mercury Marine President John Pfeifer said the new 3.4-liter, V-6, 4-stroke outboard engine will replace the 3-liter Optimax, and the 2.5-liter and 3-liter Pro XS, along with the company’s L4 Verado product.” will affect my future order for a white XB-21 xst.

http://boatingindustry.com/features/2018/04/06/engine-companies-maintain-high-profiles-at-mibs/

I would appreciate anyone’s thoughts on how you would handle this situation? I have the funds to secure a motor now. New or used… …or, would one of these 3.4-liter, 4-stroke outboards complement the XB-21 in some way that I haven’t considered.

If one of these new 3.4-liter, V-6, 4-stroke Mercury models are an option that should be considered, what about the SeaPro version?

I would love to get some opinions… ...been using the same 20 foot Champion bass boat since November 1992 & haven’t given any of this a thought until now.

Thanks in advance.

Lotus 50

If I were writing the check. It would be a 250 or 300 from Mercury Racing. Sportmaster, solid mounts, probably better low end torque.

I did write a check last weekend for an Evinrude 150 HO

Jr in Jax

Bronson at Jaco's told me the new 225 4 stroke was the same weight as the XS but was faster and used way less fuel. He said the 250 is soon to be released and thought a 300 would soon follow. I might wait a couple of years for the bugs to be worked out and then put one on my Grandsport.

Jr in Jax

I did not ask Bronson, but kind of assumed the new 4-stroke would have a sportmaster since it replaces the XS. Maybe I am wrong.

DOUBLE J

There coming out with a V8 in mid May which weighs 512#'s. The V8 I've been told is basically the same motor as the V6 4 stroke with two more cylinders (same piston, rods, bore etc.. just different block, crank and ecu ). The V8 will be a 300 so far. This is coming from two Mercury mechanics who just came back from a Mercury school. I think the V8 would be great on a Grandsport or 21. The V6 weighs I believe in the 465 # range.

Dave Hensley

Don't think a Sportmaster is an option on the 3.4L. Might be wrong. Would also think a 4.6L V-8 would have way more HP than 300!?!?!?!?

DOUBLE J

I was told 300 on the V8 so far. Mercury was and possibly still testing the V8 @ Lake X. Supposedly on the V6 model there will be a 250 model for bass folks.

Jr in Jax

Jack Barsh guessed today that the V8 might have a totally new gearcase. I hope he is right. It is supposed to have 20% more torque than any other 300 with 20% better fuel mileage.